Valhalla Integrated in the House!

Daryl Zero

Re: Valhalla Integrated in the House!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Mar 2022, 08:38 pm »
If anyone lives near Atlanta, there is a Vahalla amp on the trading post for local pick up only at a steal of a price.

Though it might already be sold:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=181047.0

I would have sprung for it if I could have gotten to it.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2022, 12:12 am »
If you think about it, the many (if not the majority) of vendors we all know and love are small or solely reliant on one or a couple of key people.

Their business would be significantly altered or ended with the loss of one or a couple of key individuals. 

Just the way it goes...

That said, I still generally buy from these vendors and I'll just deal with stuff as it happens.

George
Spatial Audio and Holo Audio are the first small hifi companies that I took a chance on purchasing their products.  I was concerned about the Spatials being a fairly new brand compared to the other manufacturers that's been in the game for years.  But I'm very happy with my Spatials and the customer service.  It can be a risk dealing with small companies, but I will pull the trigger on a product if I really want it, after a bit of research.  I don't want to hijack the OP's excitement with sharing his impressions of his Valhalla integrated, so let's get back to the Don Sachs gear!  Lol....

bbybaudio

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2022, 02:01 pm »
Last night we were just in awe listening to John Williams "Star Wars." The X5-Valhalla and MP DAC combo let all instruments and the orchestra just dazzle as the music goes from subtle, quiet interlude to dramatic crescendo. The dynamics were fantastic! Then switched to Ricky Lee Jones "Naked Songs" and it was like we were in the venue with her live, right in front of us.

Mr. Big

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2022, 11:41 pm »
Last night we were just in awe listening to John Williams's "Star Wars." The X5-Valhalla and MP DAC combo let all instruments and the orchestra just dazzle as the music goes from subtle, quiet interlude to dramatic crescendo. The dynamics were fantastic! Then switched to Ricky Lee Jones's "Naked Songs" and it was like we were in the venue with her live, right in front of us.

When you have what you heard in your system you know you hit what this hobby is about and in your case a home run, and let me tell you it is very hard to reach that level regardless of money spent. I've heard a $100,000 system that did not deliver what you are hearing. Sit back and enjoy, and don't go down the audiophile rabbit hole thinking something is always better, many have done that and they lost what they had, got frustrated, and got out of the hobby, from burning out and disappoinment. 
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2022, 01:45 pm by Mr. Big »

bbybaudio

« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2022, 03:14 pm »
Thanks Mr. Big! I do not foresee any rabbit holes in the future. Having had much more expensive amps, cables other things in the system, the concept that I was getting close to audio nirvana began to take hold with the arrival of the X5s. Our enjoyment of these speakers increased with the addition of the all in MP-DAC. Now that the Valhalla Int.is broken in and singing we are just enjoying music.

bbybaudio

« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2022, 03:16 pm »
I should add that vinyl playback is best ever. I am even pulling out my moldies from the 60s and listening.

Mr. Big

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2022, 11:56 pm »
Thanks Mr. Big! I do not foresee any rabbit holes in the future. Having had much more expensive amps, cables other things in the system, the concept that I was getting close to audio nirvana began to take hold with the arrival of the X5s. Our enjoyment of these speakers increased with the addition of the all in MP-DAC. Now that the Valhalla Int.is broken in and singing we are just enjoying music.

Yes, I've owned really expensive gear during my 40 years in this hobby, and by having great systems then messing them up and then back to the search to get the magic back, at some point I learned that when it is good it is good, don't let reviews snag you, they are marketing nowadays to get you to buy, I chased my tail, spend lots of money, enjoyed it all but now I am seasoned enough to know when I hit pay dirt and leave well enough alone. To change gear for the sake of it no longer makes sense to me, they will say always something is better, well my friend has gear from the 80s with matching speaker Snell type A's. Power cords are built-in, so IEC, no power conditioners, el-natural...and his system is jaw-dropping musical. So how far have we come, like he says specs are one thing, what we can hear is another. He takes great effort to setup up his speakers, fixes his room acoustics, and make it a very enjoyable space to be in with soft lighting to boot, and his systems rocks.

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2022, 01:24 am »
Congratulations on achieving nirvana. It's harder to get there than it would seem.

Mr. Big

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2022, 02:38 pm »
Congratulations on achieving nirvana. It's harder to get there than it would seem.

You're there when you sit and enjoy your system, enjoy the recording, and are moved by the performance. Bane of Audiophiles they sit there and say I wish that could be better or that could be better, it in their heads the sound they want, then they buy a new preamp and sit there and say that is better, but you know I wish it could sound a bit more this way, there is no end to it, and magazine writes reviews to entice you and put in your head or this unit is much better sounding than the last version and feed our audiophile neurosis...smile! There are not as many reviews as sales promotions and paid for by advertisers that keep those magazines afloat. The reality is why would I advertise and pay you to put down the products I design. Many manufacturers stay away from reviews in magazines, and for good reason.