Anthem Statement

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Anthem Statement
« on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:37 pm »
Hello all,

Anyone familiar with Anthem Statement D2v and P5 & P2 ?

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D2v/D2v.html

We planned to drive a VSA 7.1 setup with these Anthem's .

Hope you can give me some of your experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Cor

varsharun

Re: Anthem Statement
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2010, 10:11 pm »
Hi Cor,

The Anthem statement series are absolute state of the art when it comes to video processing and surround sound amplification and would be my cost no object choice for any speaker system. However, you may want to audition the NAD M15 HD + M25 combination as well. Depending on the speakers, the NAD is slightly more musical to my ears. Can't go wrong with either choice.

-Arun

Hello all,

Anyone familiar with Anthem Statement D2v and P5 & P2 ?

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D2v/D2v.html

We planned to drive a VSA 7.1 setup with these Anthem's .

Hope you can give me some of your experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Cor

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2010, 10:43 pm »
Thanks Arun,

We will check the NAD too.

Cor

Ambiance

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:25 am »
Cor.

I am in prosess of replaceing my Halcro SSP200, and have been checking out the D2v and Arcam AVP888. I`ve had from almost every one recomandation on the arcam. Arcam is much more musical, but the Anthem and Arcam brakes even on movies. As soon as the Halcro get sold, I am going for the Arcam.

A.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2010, 06:29 pm »
Thanks A.

I know the Arcam and see what it does on VSA.

Cor

Alex_G

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2010, 07:19 pm »
Cor.

I am in prosess of replaceing my Halcro SSP200, and have been checking out the D2v and Arcam AVP888. I`ve had from almost every one recomandation on the arcam. Arcam is much more musical, but the Anthem and Arcam brakes even on movies. As soon as the Halcro get sold, I am going for the Arcam.

A.

Ambience,

Like you I'm looking to replace my preprocessor.  Since I don’t have the room, I need a processor that will play stereo music 50% and Blu-Ray concerts/movies the other  50% of the time.   Based on all of the reports, the Halcro SSP200 is one of the best prepro’s on the market.

What’s the reason for changing SSP200? 

I’m investigating Classe SSP-800 and Arcam AV888 as possible replacements.  Since none of my local dealers have both processor in stock and none of the reviewers have Von Schweikert speakers, it’s impossible for me to form any opinions of what to expect in test of sound quality and sound signature.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2010, 07:28 pm »
The Anthem Statement P2 and P5 are state of the art amps with humongous power reserves. They're stable under any load including a short. They play in the same league as Bryston. Forget NAD and Arcam, they can't hold a candle.

OTOH the Statement A2 and A5 are not in the same class as the P series. (half the price of the P's should make you guess this).

Nap.  :thumb:

Ambiance

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:55 pm »
Ambience,

Like you I'm looking to replace my preprocessor.  Since I don’t have the room, I need a processor that will play stereo music 50% and Blu-Ray concerts/movies the other  50% of the time.   Based on all of the reports, the Halcro SSP200 is one of the best prepro’s on the market.

What’s the reason for changing SSP200? 

I’m investigating Classe SSP-800 and Arcam AV888 as possible replacements.  Since none of my local dealers have both processor in stock and none of the reviewers have Von Schweikert speakers, it’s impossible for me to form any opinions of what to expect in test of sound quality and sound signature.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The reason for selling is down siceing berfor building up again. The Halcro has been very solid both movie and music, althoug music is what it does best. For two channel listening the sound is very detaild and smooth. And for music dvd/BD, and this is where it does everything very good. The bass managment is detailed and you will hear any change in bass while it is fast and deep. Pure joy!
For movies it is up there, but I have heard more funn processors if you like rumble bass and fysikaly bodied sound. The Halcro makes every thing fast and tight and very detaild VS depth and fysical.

Hope you  made anything from this!?

A.

Alex_G

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 09:44 pm »
The reason for selling is down siceing berfor building up again. The Halcro has been very solid both movie and music, althoug music is what it does best. For two channel listening the sound is very detaild and smooth. And for music dvd/BD, and this is where it does everything very good. The bass managment is detailed and you will hear any change in bass while it is fast and deep. Pure joy!
For movies it is up there, but I have heard more funn processors if you like rumble bass and fysikaly bodied sound. The Halcro makes every thing fast and tight and very detaild VS depth and fysical.

Hope you  made anything from this!?

A.

Based on what you’re saying - Halcro delivers neutral, transparent type of sound which may be a bit on the lean side of harmonic composition.  Like you, I would also like to achieve a bit fuller, rhythmic, round kind of sound.  I believe Proceed AVP2 moves towards your preference.  Since it has an older architecture, and the original designer has joined Classe 2 years ago, I think that SSP-800 maybe a potential candidate for your upgrade. 

I wish there was a way for me to audition SSP-800.  Unfortunately no one carries it in stock within my local area.

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2010, 10:59 pm »
I had a P5, at the time it replaced and totally outclassed a Bryston 4BST.
IMHO the P5 and P2 are seriously underestimated amps.

Napalm

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:03 am »
I had a P5, at the time it replaced and totally outclassed a Bryston 4BST.
IMHO the P5 and P2 are seriously underestimated amps.

Well, meanwhile the 4b went through 2 more generations, so don't dismiss it that quickly.

They're geared at different purposes though.

The Bryston has more bite in the top end which makes it a good choice for a music stereo system.

The P has more bass authority which makes it better suited to HT.

Also checking the availability of pre-amps / pre-processors from Bryston/Anthem, you'll notice that Bryston caters more to the stereo folks while Anthem is HT oriented.

Since the original poster was talking HT I think that his choice of a P5 is a good one.

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:48 am »
Interesting. Form your descriptions of the Anthem "sound" it appears that their warm/full Sonic Frontiers roots still show through.

Napalm

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:53 pm »
Interesting. Form your descriptions of the Anthem "sound" it appears that their warm/full Sonic Frontiers roots still show through.

I wouldn't describe the P series as "warm". That's a word I would pronounce when talking about their MCA/PVA series or some NAD stuff, but not about the P - it's geared toward neutral (as is the Bryston).

I went through the specs trying to find something that would support my impression about their character, here's what I found:

P2/5: Damping factor >600@20Hz; Slew rate 40V/microsecond
Bryston 4B SST2: Damping factor >300@20Hz; Slew rate 60V/microsecond

I've seen real measurement of both, and the Damping factor spec is conservative (note that they mention "greater than"), the P was over 1200 and the Bryston over 800 for the tested samples. But it definitely measured in favor of the P.

So looking just at these you may say "Bryston more agile; P better bass grip". But both around "neutral" with subtle differences.

I have my own guess on the reason why Anthem pays so much attention to Damping factor and low impedance load driving - their sister company Paradigm produces some notoriously difficult to drive speakers in the Studio 100 and Signature 8 flavors. Without a serious amplifier grip their bass would sound "limp and loose".