Are some record labels worth considering than others (LP vinyl) ?

storman

I'm slowly getting back into purchasing vinyl, looking for bargins at places that sell used records. Are there some labels that are more prized or sought after than others ?  My family never had a huge LP collection.  I'm the only one with a TT these days, so I'm going through the collection ( < 50 albums) at my mother's house and taking home classical works that interest me.   She had several recordings on the Everest label from the 60's, along with several from DG, Columbia, and CBS.  CBS had created some called "Great Performances".  I cleaned one up (Smetana/Dvorak - Szell, Cleveland Orchestra), played it, and thought it sounded pretty darn good for it's age.

Bill

sfdoddsy

RCA and Mercury are worth seeking out. EMI and Decca had some good sounding LPs as well. Columbia and DG not so much.

jimdgoulding

Ones I've heard from Scandinavia have been uniformly very good i.e. Bis, Opus 3, and Proprius. 

no1maestro

Most of the Reference Recording lps, many of the Telarcs and the suggestions from the other folks in here. RCA and Mercury are always a pretty good bet!