VR4 SR MKII extreme makeover...from great to really great..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR4 SR MKII extreme makeover...from great to really great..
« Reply #60 on: 9 May 2009, 07:00 pm »
Gavin,

I'm following your upgrade with great interest, thanks for posting the pics. The faux marble Albert adds to the VR5 is a brilliant idea, I just may glue some in my VR2's.

Have you thought about the inaugural play list? Will you go with vinyl for the first song or a CD? And what will the first cut be?

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the supportive reply.  The faux marble is what Albert calls Shakti stone difference being it likely has had the "laying on of hands" of Tibetan monks :bowdown:; but seriously it apparently makes the cabinets quite inert.  A dead, nonresonant cabinet :shh: coupled with high quality drivers/crossovers make these speakers really sing.  If they are as much an improvement as claimed over my old VR4 SR MKIIs they must be something.  The first song will like by "Vix 9" from Three Flew over the Cuckoos Nest" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.  That's a cut that has huge dynamic range...low bass, lots of midbass slam and airy treble.  I always use it when I audition speaker systems.

Gavin

mhconley

« Reply #61 on: 9 May 2009, 08:11 pm »
The faux marble is what Albert calls Shakti stone ...

Gavin

There is a product out there called the Shakti stone.  It is supposed to absorb EMI.  He couldn't be referring to it could he?

Martin

htradtk

« Reply #62 on: 9 May 2009, 08:17 pm »
All,

Just have to say a few things here. This forum has really give me much joy and information about VSA and people from all walks of life. Having a disability and unable to get out as much, I look forward to reading the threads posted here. True, everyone has there own opinion, that's what make us different. I personally would like to thank Gavin for becoming an on-line friend. When I first joined AC, he sent me a personal message and we have gone back and forth ever since. Thank you Gavin!! And yes, would love to have a promo copy of Becker/Fagen's work. Love all of there stuff, including all of Steely Dan. Just wish they would release "Aja" and "The Nightfly" in the SACD format. Gavin, I'll contact you in private about that promo CD.

Henry

ps. This thread is getting huge, 4 pages and counting!

WGH

« Reply #63 on: 9 May 2009, 08:45 pm »
The first song will like by "Vix 9" from Three Flew over the Cuckoos Nest" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.  That's a cut that has huge dynamic range...low bass, lots of midbass slam and airy treble.  I always use it when I audition speaker systems.

Gavin

Plenty of fast playing on that cut, I'm sure the VR5's will have no trouble putting the boys in your room. As a side note, Bela is touring with Toumani Diabate, I'm getting tickets to see him at the Rialto here in Tucson on June 17th. The theater seats only 500 split between the balcony and main floor so it should be an intimate and interesting concert.

Wayne

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 10 May 2009, 02:09 pm »
We have had the good fortune of seeing Bela in concert at least 4 times.  It was at a small venue (Jazz of the Roof in Indy) and our table was front and center not more than 10 feet from the stage.  We had that table reserved for the better part of 4 seasons.  Sad to say, Jazz on the Roof no longer exists....pity.  But now I can still enjoy the live performances via my VSA speakers.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 10 May 2009, 02:09 pm »
The faux marble is what Albert calls Shakti stone ...

Gavin

There is a product out there called the Shakti stone.  It is supposed to absorb EMI.  He couldn't be referring to it could he?

Martin

Albert or Joe will have to answer that one.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 10 May 2009, 02:10 pm »
All,

Just have to say a few things here. This forum has really give me much joy and information about VSA and people from all walks of life. Having a disability and unable to get out as much, I look forward to reading the threads posted here. True, everyone has there own opinion, that's what make us different. I personally would like to thank Gavin for becoming an on-line friend. When I first joined AC, he sent me a personal message and we have gone back and forth ever since. Thank you Gavin!! And yes, would love to have a promo copy of Becker/Fagen's work. Love all of there stuff, including all of Steely Dan. Just wish they would release "Aja" and "The Nightfly" in the SACD format. Gavin, I'll contact you in private about that promo CD.

Henry

ps. This thread is getting huge, 4 pages and counting!

Thanks Henry.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #67 on: 10 May 2009, 02:25 pm »
We have had the good fortune of seeing Bela in concert at least 4 times.  It was at a small venue (Jazz of the Roof in Indy) and our table was front and center not more than 10 feet from the stage.  We had that table reserved for the better part of 4 seasons.  Sad to say, Jazz on the Roof no longer exists....pity.  But now I can still enjoy the live performances via my VSA speakers.

Hi Gavin,

That is what Albert has made his speakers for.
To enjoy good (live) music.

We are happy with them every day.

Regards,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 11 May 2009, 02:13 pm »
My VR5 Anniversaries are shipping today so should have them by this weekend and I can't wait.  As good as the old MLs are, they are no match for the VR4 SR MKIIs, much less the Anniversaries.  I plan on spending a lot of time with the mrs. this week because once the annies get here, she will be sliding my food under the door :wave:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 21 May 2009, 02:06 am »
Got 'em.  Albert had put about 60 hrs. on them so already pretty smooth.  Just wanted to let you all know I have them singing as I type this and will put together my thoughts in the next couple of days.  Suffice it to say I am not disappointed :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

DRjam

« Reply #70 on: 22 May 2009, 05:31 am »
Soowweeeettt!!  Grats.  Need pix please.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 22 May 2009, 04:19 pm »
Not sure how to post pix now that our galleries are gone....but will eventually.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 22 May 2009, 09:31 pm »
This will be the first in a series of reports I will post as my VR5 Anniversaries continue to break in.  I received them this past wednesday and bribed my neighbor with a couple of Rolling Rocks to come over and lend me hand...make that, do all the lifting.  It was pretty much routine both of us having been through the same drill last fall with my VR4 SR MKIIs.  I had masking taped the exact locations of my VR4s so we sat the annies in the same footprints; no spikes just yet as I may play with the placement.  I hooked them up with my VSA bi wire cable, cleaned up all the packing materials, windexed the cabinets, swept the carpet all prior to turning things on.  Sort of like the old beer commercial where the cowboy eats potato chips whilst crawling through the desert sand building that thirst....OH BOY!  I turned on my MAC electronics and loaded Bela Fleck "Vix 9", the same cut I normally use to audition any speaker...lots of low end, mid bass slam and extended highs.  I was not expecting things to sound so good "right out of the box" but huge soundstage, tight low end and no harshness in the treble to speak of.  Albert and company actually put some 60 hours on my speakers so I was spared much of that edge one hears with a brand new tweeter.  Last night, day two, I sat down for a listen to Boz Scaggs "Speak Low" and when I got to track 8, "Ballad of the Sad Young Men" it was goosebump city...way better than my fully broken in VR4s--no kidding fellas.  I couldn't help feeling all warm and fuzzy knowing that these things will only continue to get better.  Just how good can it get??  Just as an aside, I have sat and listened to the Magico V3s...a very nice speaker by the way but the VR5 Anniversaries eat their lunch in the lower registers.  I would say the midrange and trebles are comparable but give the edge to the anniversaries.  I can't see it being a contest once the VR5s are fully broken in.

Well that's all for now...so much music, so little time.

Gavin

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 3 Jun 2009, 11:29 pm »
I won't bore you with all the details but long story short(er), I installed some really nifty titanium spikes that I got from VSA today after getting the anniversaries exactly where I wanted them...lots of eye rolling from the wife as I measured and remeasured the locations then marked with masking tape.  Anyway it tightened up the bass considerably and even seems to have smoothed the upper registers somewhat...not as if they needed it.  I must have over 100 hours on them so far and they sound better all the time.  Suffice it to say there is some real synergy between MAC and VSA.  I had it with my VR4 SRs and have it with the anniversaries to a much greater degree.  The MACs work very nicely with just about any speaker but they really shine with high resolution speakers like these.  All the detail you could ever ask for is there but it's in no way fatiguing.  I have sat in the sweet spot of Wilson Watt Puppy 8s with BAT electronics and the fatigue factor was obvious in just a few minutes.  Not so with the anniversaries and it comes at no expense to detail resolution.  I am a happy camper--getting happier daily :dance:

SundayNiagara

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jun 2009, 11:56 pm »
Kinda makes one wonder why Wilson has replaced the WP8 with Sasha, doesn't it?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 4 Jun 2009, 12:35 am »
I wonder if the Sasha will sound any better?  I have only heard the puppies and the Sophia...none of the big boys.  Is it a characteristic of Wilsons to have that glassy edged high end?  They come across very impressive in short bursts...auditions...but wear you out in short order.  Apparently Dave Wilson has started naming his lower end speakers after his children?  Maybe Albert should come out with a Damon :duh:
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2009, 11:54 pm by es347 »

douglesc

« Reply #76 on: 4 Jun 2009, 07:30 am »
Hi Gavin:

I'm Just curious, what finish did you end up getting???

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 4 Jun 2009, 11:55 pm »
Piano gloss black..

JP78

« Reply #78 on: 8 Jun 2009, 09:22 pm »
how about some photos now that they're all done? that will be good enough for most of us :).

MichiganMike

« Reply #79 on: 9 Jun 2009, 09:57 am »
Gavin,

Thanks for posting the review of your VR5 Anniversaries on the forum at Audiogon.com.  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rspkr&1244491259  I enjoyed hearing more about your impressions and the listening experience.

Mike