Warm sounding RCA cable for the simplex

Rushboy

Warm sounding RCA cable for the simplex
« on: 8 Jul 2022, 11:55 am »
Would a Mogami 2549 be a good choice?
It has been mentioned several times in the Pink Fish Forum.

Greetings Peter

mick wolfe

Re: Warm sounding RCA cable for the simplex
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2022, 05:16 pm »
A lot will depend on the overall balance of your system. That said, I might try the Belden 8402. It "may" be have a bit more warmth. Lots of good choices whether you DIY or order from one of the pro outfits, Ebay or even Amazon. DIY gives you more flexibility in regard to the the RCA connectors you use, but it seems some sellers at least offer Switchcraft RCA's. In the end, both are good choices with no real way to determine how either would work best in your particular system.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2022, 08:24 pm »
One of my favorite cable stories is from a local audio dealer.  He had moderately priced interconnects available in black, blue or red cable jackets.   When his customers asked for a neutral cable, he recommended the black one.  When wanting more high frequency energy, he recommended the blue one.  When they wanted more warmth, he recommended the red one. 

He told me that over 95% of his customers were pleased with his cables and recommendations.  He sold them for many years.

The only thing different between the three cables was the color of the jacket. 

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:48 pm »
Hey!

Warm sounding cables? I'd check out Cardas, maybe a used one to save money.

Buddy

Rushboy

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2022, 06:04 am »
Cardas Iridium Phono.
I know that one, and it doesn't convince me.
Expensive, little heat, not my cup of tea.

rotarius

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2022, 03:32 pm »
I have the 2549 with neutriks.  I wouldn't call them warm.  Try Wireworld or Cardas.  High capacitance, will darken the sound.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2022, 04:09 pm »
I second the Belden 8402. I use RCA's and XLR's from here-

https://btpa.com/?target=search&mode=search&substring=8402&including=all

They sound better than my Cardas Parsecs and AQ Columbia's. No brightness or exaggerated sibilants.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2022, 06:34 pm »
One of my favorite cable stories is from a local audio dealer.  He had moderately priced interconnects available in black, blue or red cable jackets.   When his customers asked for a neutral cable, he recommended the black one.  When wanting more high frequency energy, he recommended the blue one.  When they wanted more warmth, he recommended the red one. 

He told me that over 95% of his customers were pleased with his cables and recommendations.  He sold them for many years.

I’m glad someone pointed this out. We get fooled time and time again by stuff like this. Copper, gold, silver, rhodium? Same thing. If we know what we’re listening to, and more importantly, what we’re supposed to hear, we’ll hear it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2022, 07:30 pm »
I’m glad someone pointed this out. We get fooled time and time again by stuff like this. Copper, gold, silver, rhodium? Same thing. If we know what we’re listening to, and more importantly, what we’re supposed to hear, we’ll hear it.
This is certainly not my experience. 

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2022, 12:40 am »

I'm not saying that this holds true for everyone.  But this audio dealer sold these interconnects for over 10 years and had almost no returns on them.  Over and over again the customers came back into the store and said they loved the cables.  He picked which color had what effect in a way that he could always remember.  Black was neutral, Blue was cool, Red was warm.  He admitted that he lied to customers by saying each was a little different, which they were not.  But he justified it by saying it made customers happy. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2022, 12:57 am »

This is not my experience either.  I can pick out all the cables I own by sound.

Rushboy

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2022, 11:31 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2022, 12:11 pm by Rushboy »

/mp

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2022, 01:02 pm »
Would a Mogami 2549 be a good choice?
It has been mentioned several times in the Pink Fish Forum.

Greetings Peter

Peter,

Not precisely on point, for what it's worth, I connect my computer audio to the stereo with Mogami via the preamp's tape loop. The loop is: Classe DR6 <--> Mogami 2964 unbal <--> Aphex 124A <--> Mogami 2534 bal <--> Avid MBox Pro3 AD/DA <--> IEEE1394 <--> older windows DAW/NLE/media player workstation. In direct A/B comparison by toggling the preamp's tape monitor switch, the loop's tonal balance noticeably shifts towards the treble. Others say they hear it but it's not noticeable. Still others say they don't hear a difference. In non-A/B conditions, I hear it but it's not particularly noticeable. Moving the speakers makes a bigger difference if that helps quantifying the change. YMMV. I don't swap bits to isolate which parts of the chain do what.

Hope this helps,
/mp