Receptacles

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Receptacles
« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:48 pm »
sfox, strikes that are far away still produce considerable surges.

Here's some additional info on the importance of surge protection:

http://www.surgex.com/importance.html

werd

« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:17 pm »
I wonder how much the Inductive surges are a threat  :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:21 pm »
Does anyone know if by modding these units if they are no longer UL Listed? 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:30 pm »
Does anyone know if by modding these units if they are no longer UL Listed?

I'm not changing the way they work, so they are more refurbished than modded, and I'm pretty much only replacing things that can wear out anyway. I don't think this would be any different than buying a reconditioned piece of vintage gear or having a tech re-cap an audio component. The Furutech or Schurter parts I use in them are UL listed, so I do not think this will affect the UL listing. UL listing is also not required for residential applications, there's tons of unlisted and dangerously built electronics on the market, this is not one them... it is well built to begin with and Made in the USA.

Early B.

« Reply #44 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:21 pm »
Dave --

I expect that your modded SurgeX devices will perform as good or better than top of the line power conditioners.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:26 pm »
Dave --

I expect that your modded SurgeX devices will perform as good or better than top of the line power conditioners.
Now I'm even more confused.  As far as I know, he is just modding these units.  So, they're still a surge protector and not a power conditioner per se.  Just like a power conditioner is not a surge protector.  Unless he is gutting these and putting them into a power conditioner but I didn't think he was doing that.  Wire, outlets, footers and some caps.   :dunno:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:43 pm »
jtw, they are conditioners in that there is an emi/rfi filtration board in there so they do condition. There is also an inrush current limiter and over/under voltage shutdown as well.

This is the unit I'll have available at first, then I'll work on getting some of the SEQ models done. There is a lot of info and specs in the link below... the specific model number is the SX-1120-RT

http://www.surgex.com/products/rackmount-product-line.html