Sennheiser HD 800S headphones

brooklyn

Sennheiser HD 800S headphones
« on: 18 Aug 2019, 07:20 pm »
I recently purchased a preowned pair of the Sennheiser HD 800S headphones. I’ve been wanting to try them for awhile
but didn’t want to layout the money for the brand new price tag.. I waited until one became available on the used market
and hope I was quick enough to get them. Bottom line? I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about..

There is no doubt, these are the best headphones I ever had the pleasure of listening to music with.. I find them revealing
to a fault, you get to hear the good and the bad of each recording. If an album was recorded well, you are rewarded with a
musical experience. I was blown away listening to Amy Winehouse, You Sent Me Flying.. The soundstage is more expansive
than other headphones I’ve listened to in the past, instruments seem to come to you in there own space and the amount of
detail and presentation I’m getting are excellent. The unbalanced cord is a bit long and somewhat stiff but the quality seems
very good. I’ve been using a Darkvioce 336se tube headphone amp and a Chord Qutest Dac with great results.

I also have a pair of the Beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones that I’ve been using for about a year now, I spent most of last night
comparing the two. The Beyer’s are no slouch compared to the Senn’s, I think they actually get you most of the way there..
Comfort is pretty good which is something I always look for in a headphone. The clamping force is a bit lighter than say the
Hifiman HE-400i’s that I also have so I can wear them awhile longer without moving them around on my head.. So far, I’m
pretty happy with my purchase.

Jerry

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Sennheiser HD 800S headphones
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2019, 11:08 pm »
Jerry congrats on your new 800s!!

Glad you really like them!

I am thinkning maybe Christmas time!!

:>)

Alex
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2019, 07:24 pm by adydula »

jhm731

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2019, 01:27 am »
If you want to sell the Beyerdynamic T1.2, please contact me.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2019, 02:22 pm »
Curious what you're using for amplification?

I have the HD800's, and am pretty happy with them, but do plan to make a few little mods to them.

Randy

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2019, 02:25 pm »
I also own Sennheiser HD800 headphones. I use mine with a Rudistor RPX33 mk2 headamp.  :thumb:

brooklyn

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2019, 01:21 am »
Thanks Alex, the 800S are the first set of headphones I've owned that actually doesn't touch
any part of my big Italian pork chop size ears.. lol.. I’ve been listening to them every night with
all different types of music and I’m still amazed. Yep, bring on Christmas.... lol

jhm731, I haven’t any plans to sell the T1.2 at this time but I will keep you in mind if I should
want to start Scaling back with some gear. I’m actually looking to get a few more items before
that happens..

Hi Randy, I have two headphone amps at this time, an older Graham Slee Solo headphone amp
and the Darkvoice 336se tube amp. I use the Solo for everyday use with my Hifiman HE 400i’s,
it’s a great little amp. The the Darkvoice works well with the higher ohm headphones like the
Senn's 800S and the Beyer T1’s.. a different amp will probably be the next piece of gear on my
radar.. I’m looking for something with a balanced output.. I would love to have the Woo Audio
WA 22 tube amp.... Violectric or Auralic also comes to mind. I’m not big on doing modifications
to anything. I've always felt if I needed to mod something I probably purchased the wrong item..

Jerry
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2019, 04:10 am by brooklyn »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2019, 02:36 am »
Jerry,

I just purchased a set of Focal Clears....hoping they work out well, I listened to a pair today and was impressed, but hey I am easily impressed!!

Alex

SuperDavidC

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2019, 02:30 am »
Got a pair of HD800s on the used market as well a few months ago and yes def very good high end headphones. The sound stage and details are amazing. What are you using for a dac/amp?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2019, 05:31 pm »
I finally had the opportunity to hear the 800S 2 days ago. I don't remember the make or model of the HA but it sells for a little less than 4K CAD. Anyhow streaming some very familiar music via TIDAL, the one thing above all that stood out for me was a noticeably light bottom end. So I asked if these were brand new cans since they just took them out of the box, and they figured they had maybe 10 hours on them. Would more time help the bass form? Was the HA a poor match? I don't know, but midrange was very open, clean and detailed.  :thumb:

brooklyn

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2019, 06:28 am »
Got a pair of HD800s on the used market as well a few months ago and yes def very good high end headphones.
The sound stage and details are amazing. What are you using for a dac/amp?

SuperDavidC, I use the Darkvoice 336se headphone amp with the stock tubes and a Chord Qutest Dac with the HD 800S.
I don’t know if it’s the best combo but it’s what I have at the moment.. I’m pretty happy with the sound quality I’m getting..

Wind chaser, I’m not a bass head by any stretch but I don’t feel I’m lacking bass with the HD 800S, I guess it would be a
matter of personal taste. My copy of the HD 800S are broken in. It’s possible 10 hours of burn in may not be enough time.
The midrange does sound very good, the instrument seem to come out of there own little space.. The HD 800’s are an
awesome headphone but I feel they need to be listened to with your system if possible. Just my opinion.

Jerry

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2019, 12:54 pm »
I have read many reviews that state the same thing about HD800s..that they area bass light...my HD600's I think are bass light as well compared to other not so bass light headphones.

But to me I dont like boomy bass, but like accurate bass as well as the rest of the spectrum.

The soundstage on the 800's are very, very good, and the accuracy is also good....and the bass on the HD800 IMO is done well....

Other cans have a more "fuller" type of bass, and when going back and forth its easy to hear.

Several folks I know have both Focal Clears and HD800s and its interesting to hear their experiences...some like one over the other, some keep both, some sell one or the other.

Its all up to you!

Enjoy the music!

Good Morning!
Alex

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2019, 02:12 pm »
Wind chaser, I’m not a bass head by any stretch but I don’t feel I’m lacking bass with the HD 800S, I guess it would be a
matter of personal taste.

Hi Jerry,

Indeed, it may well be a matter personal of taste.

I didn't compare them to anything else and I don't have a headphone set up at home. Being new to headphones I think I'll take it slow. I recently ordered the Koss KPH30i and hopefully they will give me a sense of how far I want to pursue this approach to listening. I've always preferred loudspeakers to headphones but 4 months ago my tinnitus situation escalated to the point where I can no longer enjoy serious listening via speakers.

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2019, 05:24 pm »
Hi Wind Chaser,

I might have mentioned in another thread that I also have tinnitus in my left ear,
I somehow manage to ignore it most of the time. When I’m at work it’s kinda noisy so it’s not
noticeable there. When listening to music, with headphones, I don’t notice it at all.

I got into headphone listening a few years ago with a used amp and headphones I purchased from
someone on this forum, I quickly realized I liked it (a lot). I made just a few adjustments over the
years then recently went hog wild and purchased some used headphones and more recently a
headphone amp.. I do enjoy this way of listening to music and it keeps me out of trouble.. lol

Taking it slow is a great idea, it took me around five years to get to the point I’m at right now..
Headphone listening may not be for everyone but it certainly works great for me. Alex, made a
great point on another thread, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to enjoy this hobby
unless you want to.

Jerry

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2019, 06:15 pm »
I finally had the opportunity to hear the 800S 2 days ago. I don't remember the make or model of the HA but it sells for a little less than 4K CAD. Anyhow streaming some very familiar music via TIDAL, the one thing above all that stood out for me was a noticeably light bottom end. So I asked if these were brand new cans since they just took them out of the box, and they figured they had maybe 10 hours on them. Would more time help the bass form? Was the HA a poor match? I don't know, but midrange was very open, clean and detailed.  :thumb:

After about 40 hours of breakin the HD800S drivers will loosen up increasing bass punch and warmth.  I love good quality powerful bass but am turned off by overemphasized or tubby bass.  Hard to know but I think I like a more neutral sound.  With lower powered amps like my Mapletree and Asgard 2 I thought the bass on the HD800S was a bit woolly and lacked the incredible definition of the rest of the frequencies.  When I got a new Ragnarok and plugged them in balanced the bass tightened up considerably with even better punch and even more extension hearing more information on the lower registers of an organ for example.  The balance is now ideal for me with all frequencies seemingly equally presented except perhaps the deepest sub bass.  I reached a point where my headphone system was just where I wanted it and lost that desire to upgrade my headphone setup.  Just enjoy music through them all genres.  I especially love how they unravel musical lines making every instruments contribution so much easier to follow while still sounding cohesive.  I did not think the HD800S would become my progressive rock headphone of choice but they definitely are due to the way the contribution of each musician can be so effortless followed.  It is a type of transparency that goes beyond being detailed. 

All that said I do know that there are other headphones as good or better.  I still try other things during annual visits to RMAF.  The Audeze LCD2 and LCD3 for example have more a powerful and extended bass.  The LCD2 may perhaps be fuller in the bass than neutral but still detailed and enjoyable.  My preference for the HD800S is the soundstage and the midrange transparency on up.  I went to a local dealer to audition the LCD3 fully intending to purchase them.  Loved their bass extension but the detail and transparency in the midrange and higher was not even to the level of my Grado RS1 IMO.  Which is why I eventually went with the HD800S.

The HiFi Man HE1000 is probably the best headphone I have heard but the improvement is not worth it for me at twice the cost of the HD800S.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2019, 07:23 pm »
Hey Jerry!

Absolutely you do not have to spend megabucks to have a great listening experience!

I have many combinations that make me smile and some cost less than $1K for the entire system including headphones.

I think we all like to try new stuff, and thats part of the Headphone Mania and sharing these experiences.  :D

I think most of us would like to have several sets of cans in house, especially the HD800's....

Listening right now with BH Crack and T90's and smiling!

Enjoy the music!
Alex

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2019, 10:02 pm »
Hey Jerry!

Absolutely you do not have to spend megabucks to have a great listening experience!

I have many combinations that make me smile and some cost less than $1K for the entire system including headphones.

I think we all like to try new stuff, and thats part of the Headphone Mania and sharing these experiences.  :D

I think most of us would like to have several sets of cans in house, especially the HD800's....

Listening right now with BH Crack and T90's and smiling!

Enjoy the music!
Alex

Totally agree.  I have always wanted to try a pair of T90s.  I could personally live with just a pair of Grado SR80 or SR225 if I needed to.  So easy to drive and have the detail, tone, and openness that are a min for me.  They are no HD800S but excellent in their own way.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:56 pm »
Tinnitus is the reason why I am looking at headphones. The constant continual noise is so loud it is impossible to ignore. It sounds like very loud tape hiss accompanied by various multiple high pitched tones in both ears. It makes everything, including normal conversations much more difficult to hear. Proximity to the source makes all the difference, that's why some people who suffer from severe Tinnitus find hearing aids helpful. I'd rather not wear hearing aids per se, however headphones seem like a more acceptable solution as far as the enjoyment of music is concerned

Taking it slow is definitely sensible advice! :thumb:  OTOH the evil little audiophile part of me can't help but be curious about all the better and more costly options out there. It would be nice to hear a fully broken in set of the Sennheiser 800s, along with the better Focals and Beyers etc. I'm definitely not a bass head but I expect excellence across the full spectrum regardless of the type of music. IMO as with speakers, so it should be with headphones. A truly great transducer should sound equally excellent with opera, metal and everything between.  It's too bad the Senns I heard didn't have anywhere 40 hours on them.

Alex, I can appreciate your advice that it doesn't take mega bucks to have a great listening experience. You would know given your experience and collection of gear. Your commitment and involvement in this circle make a truly beneficial place for those of us on the outside looking in. Keep up the good work!  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2019, 08:25 pm »
Gee Thanks WindChaser!!

For the kind words!

The Focal Clears are the closest I have heard to speaker type sound.
Anything I play with these if well done makes me smile...the Focal folks really have it down well with these....

Freo-1 has a set of the Elears and loves them, mine are the clears and I love them... :D

I have Beyer T1's and Senn Hd600's ( similar to hd800 IMO with lesser soundatage, but the same kind of tonality)....and the Clears...all
three are very good, but my particular taste favors the Focals for sure...

I spend time with the others as well and still have a great experience, its just different and "nicer" to me with the Clears.

You dont have to spend megabcks to have a good sound with headhones....gosh a $99 Schitt Magni3, a Schitt Modia Dac $99 or $249 for the multibit version) and a set of $-300 -$600 headphones and you can be very happy.

Looking forward to see where you go with this part of the audio hobby!

Alex

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2019, 09:13 pm »

You dont have to spend megabcks to have a good sound with headhones....gosh a $99 Schitt Magni3, a Schitt Modia Dac $99 or $249 for the multibit version) and a set of $-300 -$600 headphones and you can be very happy.

Totally agree.  I may swing an extra 100 bucks for the Asgard 3 as the improvement over Magni3 is definitely worth it to me.