Anyone notice this: "The Simplex is Here"?

hesson11

Anyone notice this: "The Simplex is Here"?
« on: 13 Jun 2010, 02:37 pm »
Posted on the blog June 10:

http://welltemperedlab.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/well-tempered-lab-introduces-the-simplex/

Excerpt: "This is my all-time favorite turntable." William Firebaugh.

Any word on pricing?

-Bob

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Anyone notice this: "The Simplex is Here"?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2010, 02:47 pm »
Hurry up, 2010 tax return!
I won't buy one without a dust cover, though.

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:04 pm »
Steve, good luck with the dustcover...I don't think there's ever been one for any of his tables.  There were some aftermarkets you could get for the Classic. One problem would be they'd have to be tall to clear the tall posts, which would make it problematic for a hinged type.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:00 pm »
Well-Tempered did provide dustcovers. I had one and Tom Merrill still has his. I've never seen a hinged one, however. That was one reason why I changed tables after 12 years. Got tired of lifting it off and making sure it was in a safe place.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:34 pm »
thanks for clarifying...I thought they were made by Ginkgo or someone like that. I knew they were unhinged, which turned me off as well.  For the Amadeus, I keep the white strobe platter on when not in use, at least the mat stays clean.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:25 pm »

Mine is hinged.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm »
Hi Steve,  what era is your classic, Transparent or Stanalog?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:05 pm »
I have no idea; there are no shipping labels on the box.
It sat unused in the box for years in a friend's basement (as in brand new unused - the original owner is deceased) and I finally pried it loose two years ago.
The dustcover and hinge kit are from Stanalog, though.  No mounting holes for anything so it was a nerve wracking installation for me.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm »
thanks for that, and my memory thanks you! my classic was from '88 (new), and like yours, had no screw holes whatsoever, with a dustcover not being an option. My reference likewise had no drill holes.   I always wanted dust covers for them, and sometimes wished the Amadeus had one. I've seen some of the PinkFish boys talking about having dust covers made, but I hate ones that you have to lift off. I'd be afraid I'd eventually break something.
Thanks Steve.

michael w

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:55 am »
But sonically, lift off sounds better than a hinged cover...

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:58 am »
Agreed.....perhaps that's why Bill's never had one?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2010, 05:45 am »
I find dustcovers make good trays for putting parts in.

dave

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:47 pm »
LOL...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:26 am »
It actually doesn't sound any different to me since I added the dustcover.
Each side of the dustcover (which is a pretty stout piece) has a large oval cut out whose purpose, I suspect, are to keep any weird resonances from happening. 
It's hard enough keeping the turntable clean with a dustcover in place (due to the cutouts on the side and rear and the gap at the bottom due to the felt pads it rests on), it would be impossible in a carpeted room without it.
Each to their own, though.

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:56 am »
Glad you like it...it's been very hard to keep my table clean lately...one of those would be useful.  Although, I believe your cutouts are for handholds for easy take off/on, in case the cover was never mounted with screws. At least people on this forum, the two who post, are being kind. I've seen some forums where you'd be thrashed soundly with an old kimber cable for using such a cover while playing a record....as you say, each to their own.

artk

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:22 am »
Hope this table is released soon, love to hear it.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 7 Aug 2010, 08:56 pm »
Here's the owner's manual but I haven't seen anything about pricing.
It does say preliminary so guess they're not quite there yet.

http://www.welltemperedlab.net/welltemperedlab/WTL%20Simplex%20Manual%20PRELIMINARY%20Rev%20April%2010.pdf

michael w

« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2010, 05:00 am »
$3,000NZD = ~$2100USD

About par with the old WT Record Player ?

http://www.soundline.co.nz/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=323

AshK

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2010, 01:24 am »
Hi guys

My first post on AudioCircle. I'm a huge fan of the Amadeus but never got round to buying one for a number of reasons. However, I've got a Simplex in on loan for a review and I don't think it's going back.

I'm working through a pile of recently cleaned vinyl and I'm loving what I'm hearing - it's fitted with a Dynavector DV20X-L cartridge into a P-75 MkII phono stage at the moment and pretty much everything I liked about the Amadeus is still here...present and correct.

While I've got a long list of positives written down, there are only two negatives - the lack of a dust cover (easily remedied) and the manual cueing (less easily remedied if you're slightly clumsy at times like I am).

Sonically I can't find a thing to complain about.

Ash

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:14 am »
Hi AshK
Welcome!
Nice to hear the comments on the Simplex.  When and where will the review come out?
Agreed, dustcover needed, most tables I've had or covet don't seem to have anyway, so I've gotten used to dusting.
I think I'm clumsy, well, my friends can attest to it, but I'm not having any troubles at all. In fact, cueing with the arm alone, I do much better than from a fingerlift or cueing mechanism...go figure.

Thanks for the post!
and welcome!