alnico driver and Super 5

gobet@shaw.ca

alnico driver and Super 5
« on: 15 May 2008, 09:07 pm »
Hi, just received new pair of Super 5's, running them as i write this, first impression out of the box, highs somewhat thin and bass not very full but i know things will get better with time, i am running these with an Eico HF-81 vintage int., mine are in the two tone pearl white and blue and to my eyes look great. I wonder if the alnico drivers will be available in the future for this particular model? Any input would be appreciated, thanks Gord

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
Re: alnico driver and Super 5
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2008, 10:51 pm »
Have you any thoughts about getting a deephemp or cube?

Hank Murrow

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2008, 08:55 pm »
As I mentioned in the Super 5 post earlier, I received my Super 5s in Burled Ash three weeks ago, and while I cannot give a full report now(I am busy getting ready for VSAC 2008), I have them hooked up to my new GLOW ONE EL84 single ended amp and listening to Ray Brown's 'Super Bass' CDs(I don't find them bass shy, BTW) and also listen to FM jazz stations in LA and SF form my laptop with the USB input. Both the Super 5s and the GLOW are wonderful in my opinion. As I mentioned before, I will have these in my regular system later, where they will have a pair of Focal 10" Kevlar transmission-line subs to aid in providing the foundation from 80 Hz down to 20_25 Hz. I expect that the midbass will tighten up and gain clarity when the subs take the low stuff over, and the Super 5s will make even better sounds with 300Bs driving them through Magnequest cobalt/iron transformers . If any of you are going to VSAC 2008 in Vancouver WA next week....... look me up.

Cheers, Hank Murrow   http://www.vsac2008.com  &   http://vsac2008.crowdvine.com/

Hank Murrow

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2008, 01:23 am »
Well, VSAC 2008 has come and gone, but the memory of the Super 5s lingers among tube fans. I took my new(100 hours) Omega speaks in burled ash to the Valve State of the Art Conference in Vancouver WA; and paired them with the Glow One Amp and a borrowed Sony CD player. The Craftsmans Room was around 65" long x 35' wide x 18' high, and the little 5 watt SET amp played the Super 5s with volume to spare. The volume control never went beyond the 1 o'clock mark, and later, a fellow named Lew from Seattle brought in his self-designed Lowther Academy speaks(2 DX3s and a horn tweeter) and we were able to turn the volume down to around 10-11 o'clock....... filling the room with somewhat extended bass. However, the Super 5s were judged to provide 85_90% of what these $12,000 speakers were delivering. John Standefer(past winner of the National Fingerpicking Competition) came by for a listen, and he was captivated by both amp and Super 5s, saying he was going to treat himself to this fine small system.

Ella, Jacinthe, Diana Krall, and Jacqui Naylor...... all sang beautifully through Louis' speaks. And Sunday evening after dinner we heard Jacqui Naylor herself singing a 16 song set live in the Ballroom for a good comparison. She opened with "Blue Moon", and by the time she sang "But Not For Me" I was in Heaven......... well the Oregon Pinot Noir may have helped a little!

The next day gave us a seminar on the music biz with Michael Romanowski and Paul Stubbelbine. Afterward, she signed CDs and chatted with fans. A serious and generous talent.

I think around 300 tube aficionados came by the display to listen to the Super 5s, and all expressed surprise at the low cost of both speaks and amp. Wish I could post some pics here.

Thanks Louis!  Hank in Eugene OR

Carl V

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2008, 03:16 am »
I came by many times.
The Speakers looked quite nice & sounded quite nice as well.

The laws of physics haven't been broken....however, they sounded
very good.  And that italian laminate in really nice.

The amps sounded damn fine as well.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:25 am »
Hi Gord,

many thanks and sorry about the late reply. They will loosen up and get fuller in time for sure. I was working on an alnico version and the costs are pretty high. I have to try to manage to get them down, but still working on them. The 8 and the 6.5 was very tough, but the 4.5 will be the toughest because of the price points.

Hi Hank,

many thanks and I'm very happy you're enjoying the Super 5s and also bringing them to VSAC. I very sorry I couldn't make it to the show. I went to one of the original shows a few years back and had a great time and then they moved it to the RMAF. Pretty much got my feet wet at the VSAC. Great to hear the pairing of the Glow amp and the super 5s was excellent and I have had a few calls about the amp. I think I should pick one up to hear for myself. Can't beat the price and together with the speakers a great value too.

Many thanks working with me on the side firing ports and had a few more built since yours. Works out amazingly well.

Hi Carl,

We try to bend them as best we can.

Thanks,
Louis

gobet@shaw.ca

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:34 pm »
Thanks for the update on the 4.5 driver Louis, look forward to your future efforts, my 5's have about 40 hrs. on them now and are starting to fill in nicely, the sound very dependent on quality of recording, i also notice they are a little more detailed than i am used to which is a nice surprise, i think these are going to be very satisfying speakers. Gord

jopagi

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2008, 06:06 pm »
Count me among those impressed by the sound of the Super 5's at VSAC.  Excellent, effortless sound, especially for such a large room.

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2008, 10:32 pm »
Hi Gord and jopagi,

Many thanks and they need a little time. I'm very pleased that you liked the sound. Gord you should try the brass screws on them.

Thanks,
Louis