All kind of music??

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
All kind of music??
« on: 17 Jan 2008, 01:20 pm »
Can the Omega speakers play all kind of music? For an example -> Eagles, Steve Strauss, Allan Taylor, Music with a lots of dynamics! I know the Jordan drivers but how are these speakers?

Take care
Regards
Micke
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2008, 02:05 pm by justaudiomagic »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: All kind of music??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2008, 03:50 pm »
My XRS can certainly rock  :rock:

I like Tool, Widespread Panic, Primus, Grateful Dead and more... One standout quality I really like about the speakers is they get an electric guitar's tone right.   

Dave

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:37 pm »
Can they rock in a 20 sqm room?
I mean they are quite small

Micke

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:46 pm »
Perhaps you should ask someone who has a 20 sq meter room and Omegas. Also there are different models with different capabilities. Be more specific.

-Roy

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:48 pm »
I don't have any of Louis' speakers.  However, I picked up a pair of used, first generation 8" hemp drivers and put them in homebuilt bass reflex boxes.  They filled in very nicely for my Zu Definitions after they were sold and I was waiting for the Def. 2's.  I found them to rock with style.

Currently, they are on long-term loan to a friend who is a metalhead.  Last weekend at a football party he commented about them "I think possession is 9/10 of the law".  Translation - he digs 'em.  They are in a good sized room and you wouldn't believe a SD is throwing all that sound.

The comments about guitar tone are dead-on, at least the 8" hemp drivers love guitars - electrified or not.

Actual Omega boxes with the newer drivers will be better.

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:44 pm »
Perhaps you should ask someone who has a 20 sq meter room and Omegas. Also there are different models with different capabilities. Be more specific.

-Roy

Thats just the thing, I don't know anyone who has Omega speaker. I am talking to Louis about representing the Omega's here.
First of all, I want to know about the Super 3 XRS, DeepHemp, SuperHemp and Max Hemp. Is the sound very different from "traditionell" speakers??

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:28 am »
    First, the sound of single driver speakers is immediate and coherent.  They allow you to make a direct emotional connection with the music. 
    Second, the proprietary HempTone driver that is exclusive to Omega Speakers is a driver that is full, rich, and abundant in harmonic information.  It simply has beautiful tone. 
    Third, you hook up a pair of XRS's with a pair of DeepHemp Cubes and it will rock your ass off! 
    Fourth, Omega Speakers are the most beautiful looking speakers you will ever see, the craftsmanship that goes into each and everyone is something that every single Omega Speaker owner has commented on. 
    I currently own a pair of Dipole XRS's along with a DeepHemp Woofer. 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2008, 01:51 am »
Can the Omega speakers play all kind of music? For an example -> Eagles, Steve Strauss, Allan Taylor, Music with a lots of dynamics! I know the Jordan drivers but how are these speakers?

Take care
Regards
Micke
Hi Micke, dynamics are definitely a strength for Omega. They are highly efficient (approaching 100 db with one watt in). That puts them in the same class as classic Klipsch horns including Cornwalls and LaScallas. High efficiency lays the groundwork for great dynamics.

They differ from Classic Klipsch in that they have some of the finest imaging you can imagine -- like a di-pole speaker, but with better localization. I can put on a cut like Diana Krall Girl in the Next Room, and the guitar and voice sound they they are coming from 10 feet behind the speakers. And detail? I used to play drums... on my system you can FEEL the pebbling on the snare head as the drummer moves his brushes across the surface. Timber and tone... woodwinds and vocals amaze.

Disclosure: My system is Compact Hemp with an ACI sub (bought my sub before the Deep Hemp was announced). IMO the Compacts need the sub to really shine. The bigger speakers may do better in this respect.

IMO Omegas, powered by good -- but not necessarily pricey gear -- are absolutely outstanding, with SQ WELL beyond their price point.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2008, 02:08 am »
Can they rock in a 20 sqm room?
I mean they are quite small

Micke

Thats only about 180 sqft... so yes, I think they are enough speaker for that size room, and larger. I have them in a L-shaped area of about 270 sqft (30 sq m). The XRS will also provide solid bass down to the low 40 Hz range in a room this size.  

As far as the differences between the drivers, the 4" are very fast and analytical, while the 8" has a fuller, warmer sound while also being very quick and detailed. The 4" drivers have better hf extension, but the 8" extends down to the mid-30s. I heard the Maxhemps playing with the same amp I'm using, but the front end was different and it was in different rooms, so I can't be more precise.

To a casual listener not into audio, but wanting to hear music in the house, I think the differences in sound would be subtle between Omega and more conventional speakers. To a more experienced or picky listner the differences are much greater, and mostly positive. The sacrafices are that they are not full-range (but very few multi-driver speakers are either), they may not move enough air in a very large room depending on what is expected, they probably aren't the best choice for high volume orchestral works, and they require a more careful setup as far as component matching. The positive aspects need to be heard to be undestood, the ultra-fast response, phase-correct sound that is achieved without multiple drivers and crossovers sounds more correct and is less fatiguing than most multi-driver speakers. Tone, imaging and detail are excellent. You very quickly forget about the system and are drawn into the music, which is the quality I most appreciate I think. I like to experiment with my system, but %95 of the time I just listen without being too critical and am happy with it.

Dave  

justaudiomagic

• Just Audio Magic
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:27 am »
%95 of the time I just listen without being too critical and am happy with it.
This is how it should be :)