Affordable amp options for Omega?

giorgino1

Re: Affordable amp options for Omega?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2006, 06:14 pm »
Hi Canyoneagle -

I recently stumbled on this amp and it may prove to be just the ticket as an interim solution:
http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/TA-10_desc.htm
Hope this helps

George

Jampot

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2006, 08:14 pm »
Sounds as though you are getting close Michael!

OK - you said no names....

If you can cook up a volume control for the Clari-T, you can do the same for the Teac.

My honest opinion (and I have a fully tricked out Clari-T AND a Bolder modded Teac which to be fair I never heard with the Omegas - only the stock Teac) I would go for the Teac with the XRS.

I love the Clari-T. With my RWA iMod it is an absolutely unbeatable mini system.

I haven't gone back through the thread, but I don't remember you telling us what your source was....
or whether you had more than one source, and therefore need switching.

Believe me, it is isn't RWA driven Omegas you need (forgive me Vinnie, please :oops:) it's tripath driven Omegas, and 30 watts will drive 'em better than 6 watts..

Thats why we all lust after a RED WINE AUDIO SIGNATURE 30  :inlove::rock:

YMMV

Jim

Jampot

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2006, 08:20 pm »
Of course, if you can find an RWA modded Teac with battery power that would be even closer to the Sig 30...

But you will have to climb over me first :duel:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Jim

Canyoneagle

« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2006, 08:25 pm »
Jampot:
Great post  :lol:
Love the duelling smileys!
Good stuff to consider.
Thanks!
Michael

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2006, 08:49 pm »
Hi Canyoneagle,

Many thanks and the door is always open and it would be great to meet you in person.

I would stay away from the jolida hybrid and go for the 102B in there line up. Great for the money and EL-84s sound amazing.

Thanks again,
Louis

I'll second this, the 102 is simply amazing.  However, the hybrid 1301 is a real sleeper, walks all over the higher powered hybrids, and will offr a little more slam than the 102.
My 2 cents.  :D

Canyoneagle

« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2006, 11:06 pm »
I checked out your website (Unityaudio.ca), and you guys appear to be into the same format speakers (single fostex driver, crossoverless, etc).
So, do you feel that the 1301 would mate well with the Fostex (not be too clinical)?
I tell you, it seems like a great value for the money.
Louis - have you had a bad experience with these hybrid amps and your speakers (mis-match?).

At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards one of the modded tri-paths (RWA or TEAC), but I'm still very curious to hear some input about the Dared MP-5, used rega brio, used Naim Nait-3, etc that offer alternatives at the same price point. :deadhorse:

It's a dilemma, for sure, and there are so many possible answers.  I'm a HUGE bang-for-buck kind of a guy (hence my plans to get a sig 30 or 70's long term), and I'm convinced I can fill the interim need in my present budget (Under $400 including volume control).

From what I gather from these posts, I am on the cusp of the next big price/performance jump at about $500 on the used market (Almarro, Dared 2A3, Jolida, used RWA sig 30 :icon_twisted:) - yeah, let's see who bites on that one heh heh! 

Perhaps I can keep those XRS tucked away in their boxes for a month until I can warrant the extra step.  Perhaps it is worth a few extra weeks of patience.  Perhaps I can satiate my jones for the immersive musical experience with late night sessions on my K-701's (unitl my son begs me to turn them down).

Yes, grasshopper,  patience.
Just because I can see the end of my long journey does not warrant an attempt to run faster.  I will arrive at my destination when the time is right, and I will have had the opportunity to experience the fullness of every step.  :shh:

Ahhhh, yesssss.

Nevertheless, the more info we can get in the open here, the better for all of us in the same situation, no?

Warmly,

Michael
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2006, 04:55 am by Canyoneagle »

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2006, 01:27 am »
These are great posts and I did have the 35 watt integrated a while ago and I like the 102 better at the time. I also really like the sound of EL-84s so it was easy for me. There are a lot of great bargains out there and at very good prices. For SS the Sig 30 is my only choice.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canyoneagle

« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2006, 04:36 pm »
Thanks, Louis.
I see little glowing tubes in the not too distant future (unless a sig 30 comes up for $700 or less) :drool:

After an unexpected spousal approval last weekend, I went ahead and bumped for some used compact hemptones (in lieu of the XRS from the same person).   8)
As of this afternoon, they will be on their way to Canadian customs).

I'll just have to patiently listen to the hemptones thru my ss integrated until I can get a more appropriate amp.  Well, if I MUST....
I'm planning to visit the Skylan shop to order the stands - it's only a few miles away from me.

So,  the quest is for a used $400-ish integrated tubie.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used 102, since that gets the nod from "the man".  Sounds like others have had good luck with the Dared 2A3 and Almarro 205A MKII.

I guess the other option....
Who wants $700 or so for their sig 30 so they can get a jump on the sig 70's?   :icon_twisted:

Have a great weekend everyone.
Michael

pacifico

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:03 pm »
there's a few used sophia electrics on ebay availble. i think its direct from the manufacturer.... good price.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:24 pm »
Ahhh, yes,
I forgot about the Sophias.  They certainly look nice - anyone have experience with these and the Omegas?

Be well,
Michael

crossroadazn

« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:43 pm »
Sophia, Mingyi, Aria, Mengyue .... and lot more look like they came from the same mfg but put on different names not sure if some of those modded.

onemug

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2006, 01:58 pm »
Ahhh, yes,
I forgot about the Sophias.  They certainly look nice - anyone have experience with these and the Omegas?

Be well,
Michael

I had Sophia's EL-34 amp hooked up to Super 3's and A8's. Thought it was a nice combination. My ultimate preference is for SET's though.

Dmason

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2006, 02:37 pm »
I have never heard an EL84 amp that didnt sound great. If inexpensive and tube are your deciding factors, eBay is full of little EL84's, from the Chinese jobs which appear to be identical to the equally Chinese Baby Sophia, to the vintage Magnavox console-pulls, going fifty years back, and any of these are sure to please. For my $ I would get a nice old Maggie EL84, the single ended pentode ones come up regularly, and with a few tweaks can be brought up to better than new. These go for around $50-120, and are worth keeping long term.

This investment shouldn't get in the way of your future plans for the addition of a Vino amp, either. Having both SE tube, and Signature 30 makes a very nice little stable in my experience. EL84 and the Hemps have become a well known magic coupling.

ZLS

« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2006, 03:42 pm »
I second what D Mason says.  For a slightly more expensive alternative check out Sams Audio Labs.  He does wonderful work.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2006, 03:59 pm »
This is getting juicy indeed.   :)
DMason:
Are these Maggie EL84 tweaks fairly well known in DIY circles?  Pardon my ignorance, but is "Maggie" a nickname for "Magnavox"?.  I'll do some research on it.  It would be a trip to see a refurbished piece of vintage kit being fed by an iMod (also in my plans).  :wink:

Okay - time for me to do some learnin'
Thanks,
Michael

Dmason

« Reply #35 on: 14 Oct 2006, 04:30 pm »
Maggie = Magnavox, a term of endearment.

Magnavox were on their game during the mid-fifties/sixties, and employed their own circuits for the push pull EL84, which has yet to be bettered, IMO. Google "gabevee" for a link that works, for more info. There is a lovingly-written history of Magnavox found in the Index under "History of Magnavox." These amps are very well known in DIY circles, and the SEP circuit is just plain simple. Replacement of coupling capacitors, adding a new power IN line, really not much is required. I spoke to a guy who added Hashimoto output transformers to his $50 eBay amp, and said it became a Wunder Amp, combining the Maggie pentode circuit with some of the best iron in the world. Such is the regard for these circuits.

Simpler is better with tubes, and the Magna EL84SE in pentode will make ~6 watts, and the hemps cruise on 1 watt, so the headroom available will really crack the whip: it is a ballsy little thing.

I recently talked AC member Mxgsr into an eBay Maggie EL84SE and he has never looked back. Perhaps Mark could comment on his Maggie experience over the last month, if he reads this post.

Once broken in, the Hempsters gain noticeable efficiency, this observation has been reported by several owners as well as myself: they just don't need much for everyday listening. Add power, and they get really crunchy. At any rate, I have settled on a preference for hemp as cone material, and they sound great with SE tubes and Vino's T amps, in fact, beyond musical, as compares to the shiny crap I see in the audio salons.

I recently heard some A604E's, and was astounded to hear that the 8 inch Hemp had almost as big a sound as the 15 inch Altecs. Oh, and I preferred the sound of the Hemp...
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2006, 04:40 pm by Dmason »

Canyoneagle

« Reply #36 on: 14 Oct 2006, 04:58 pm »
Dmason:
Thanks for the great info.
I did some poking around on the 'net (Sam's Audio looks like an awesome restoration shop!).  There was alot of vintage gear (Scott, Fisher, Heathkit, Dynaco) that held promise for refurb projects.
Some of them had some really funky controls that I'd like to avoid if possible (I like two knobs and a power switch), but still, very cool stuff that would refurb nicely.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for some old Maggies.
Ya never know!
Thanks again!
Michael

Louis O

« Reply #37 on: 16 Oct 2006, 11:58 pm »
Hi Dan,

I have something new at the show and can't wait for you to see the pics.

Hi Canyoneagle,

You can't go wrong with Sam's Audio. They are great people and the amps sound terrific.

Thanks again,
Louis