alternative to Skylan stands for Super 5

fiveoclockfriday

alternative to Skylan stands for Super 5
« on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:59 pm »
I have an older pair of Super 5 w/hemp driver. I'm looking to upgrade them to the RS5 in the new year, and also get some decent stands. I know the Skylan stands are recommended, but the $300+ seems steep. Has anyone had luck with any cheaper alternatives?

If there aren't good options, I guess I might actually consider selling the Super 5s and picking up Super 3S so I wouldn't need to get stands - since I'd be looking around $500 for the drivers and stands.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

raysracing

Re: alternative to Skylan stands for Super 5
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2013, 06:42 pm »
FWIW I don't have a lot money to throw around and I am getting some Sanus all steel stands for $150.00pr.  They are black with a crinkle coat and a nice modern appearance.

http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/speaker-foundations/sp-steel/SF26

arthur

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2013, 12:39 am »
I recently got the Pangea ds300. Pretty solid. Assembly not too much hassle if you go slow.  But the top plate is 6x8 not 7.5x7.5 as they advertise.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pangea-DS-300-Speaker-Stands

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2013, 01:19 pm »
Thanks guys, I haven't seen either of those before; will check them out.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2013, 11:38 pm »
Hi fiveoclockfriday,

Many thanks for your post and great to hear about the upgrade. The RS5's will transform them. Also if you wish to obtain deeper bass, the Super 3S will fit that bill nicely.

The Skylans are very nice and they got pricey. Out of all the stands listed the Pangea was new to me and they look really good. The remind me of the old Targets. The Sanus is good too and solid.

I'm going to be recommending the Sound Anchors going forward, but they are pricey too.

Thanks,
Louis