Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2019, 03:37 pm »
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 tower speakers and the Nuprime IDA-8 integrated or the Elac EA101EQ-G Integrated, DAC, Streamer which sounded awesome at RMAF.  Schiit Gear is another way to go with the Vidar amp, Modi Multibit DAC and Saga preamp.

Although, you may want to consider a receiver or integrated with tone controls so he can adjust the bass and the treble for todays crappy music.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marpm8006/marantz-pm8006-2-ch-x-70-watts-integrated-amplifier/1.html#!specifications

Stu Pitt

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2019, 04:12 pm »
I’ll suggest what I put into my basement workout area over the last 2-3 months...

M-Audio BX8, Parasound Z-Pre3, and Audioquest Dragonfly Red fed by my iPhone/iPad. Not hifi in the imaging and stuff like that sense, but it’s simple, clean, loud, and the bass hits hard. If it were for an actual room, I’d opt for a Bluesound Node 2i and forego the Z-Pre and Dragonfly. He’ll probably like that better anyway. And way under the $2k budget before cables.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2019, 05:44 pm »
Don't over think this and don't waste money on presents YOU want. 

Heard the original Vanatoo Transparent One's a few years ago and liked them.  IMO they'd make for a generous house warming/Christmas present.

Could not agree more.

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2019, 06:18 pm »
One other thing to consider is the Elac B6.2 bookshelfs with a sub.  I bought these for my daughter and they are astounding with good amplification.  At RMAF this September, Andrew Jones of Elac introduced a new more expensive version of the B6.2's that will be on the market soon.  They will cost $500pr.  They were astounding paired with the Elac Integrated that I mentioned earlier.  Pair this with a decent budget sub like the SVS SB-1000 for $499 and he will have an awesome system.  That Elac integrated does it all as a DAC, Streamer and amp.  It also has preamp outs.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2019, 10:36 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

gab

« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2019, 06:46 pm »
Bought a pair of these for my daughter a couple of weeks ago and she loves them (she is not an audiophile, just likes to play music from her phone when she entertains her friends):

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165705.0

Packaged it with a pro Denon Bluetooth to RCA converter and an old integrated amp that I used to use.

I have learned long ago not to give my kids any expensive audio stuff - it sometimes comes back to me due to moving, small living spaces, etc! So stay cheap! If they get into it, you can always help them upgrade down the road.

gab

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2019, 07:29 pm »
Bought a pair of these for my daughter a couple of weeks ago and she loves them (she is not an audiophile, just likes to play music from her phone when she entertains her friends):

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165705.0

gab

I have them and disagree. They are nice sounding speakers especially for only $80 - but the bass on them is mediocre. (Unless they are braced and dampened.)

gab

« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2019, 09:42 pm »

I have them and disagree. They are nice sounding speakers especially for only $80 - but the bass on them is mediocre. (Unless they are braced and dampened.)

I hear you and saw your posts and don't disagree with anything you said above or in the thread. I personally haven't heard them as we live far apart. My point was that she was happy with these cheap speakers. They replaced some diysoundgroup Volt-10s that I gave her awhile back (which literally have no bass to speak of). She said they were "clearer and had more bass" than the Volts, so she swapped them out.

charmerci

« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2019, 09:57 pm »
I hear you and saw your posts and don't disagree with anything you said above or in the thread. I personally haven't heard them as we live far apart. My point was that she was happy with these cheap speakers. They replaced some diysoundgroup Volt-10s that I gave her awhile back (which literally have no bass to speak of). She said they were "clearer and had more bass" than the Volts, so she swapped them out.

Hey, I do like them. In fact, I bought my friend a pair. However, in the OP -

Oh, he likes BASS

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Michael[/quote]

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2019, 07:32 am »
Hahaha! I knew people would get a kick out of the comment about BASS.  :lol: I know he used to like Dub Step, but I'm not sure what he prefers now. MP3 is king, and he normally listens to music, videos, etc. on his cheapo IEMs. A couple months ago, I loaned him a pair of decent quality IEMs, but he wasn't interested in them.

On a side note, our son made an offer on a townhouse in Atlanta this evening. We'll know in a couple days if this is going to be his new home. The living/dining/kitchen space is wired for HT, but the seller didn't use it. Hmm. If I were going to live there, I'd want a subwoofer (or two).

I wish to thank everyone again for all their suggestions (especially the PM). I will consider all options.

Michael

A_shah

« Reply #29 on: 20 Oct 2019, 09:35 am »
Hahaha! I knew people would get a kick out of the comment about BASS.  :lol: I know he used to like Dub Step, but I'm not sure what he prefers now. MP3 is king, and he normally listens to music, videos, etc. on his cheapo IEMs. A couple months ago, I loaned him a pair of decent quality IEMs, but he wasn't interested in them.

On a side note, our son made an offer on a townhouse in Atlanta this evening. We'll know in a couple days if this is going to be his new home. The living/dining/kitchen space is wired for HT, but the seller didn't use it. Hmm. If I were going to live there, I'd want a subwoofer (or two).

I wish to thank everyone again for all their suggestions (especially the PM). I will consider all options.

Michael

Michael,
Congratulations to the young man for  making the offer on  a Twn House, let me chime in have you listened to the Audioengine HD6 powered speakers ? they are in expensive  and have a pretty good Bass plus  Blue tooth capabilities and one can use a Sub with them I use the HD 6 with my bedroom TV and am very happy with them  :thumb:

Asghar

mresseguie

« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2019, 09:12 pm »
Replying so no one has to wonder if I fell off a cliff...

Thank you for all the replies and the PMs. My son's offer to purchase the townhouse was accepted, so I (as co-buyer) am busy getting materials/documents, etc. to the underwriters. Yesterday was my wife's 54th birthday, so I was really busy for her. I'll eventually respond to the PMs - patience, please.

At some point, I may be able to upload a photo of the living/dining/kitchen space so y'all can see it. I've begun wondering if he'd be happier with some sort of HT setup, or a sound bar and subwoofer instead of a two-channel setup.....pondering....

who?me?

« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2019, 10:54 pm »
Replying so no one has to wonder if I fell off a cliff...

Thank you for all the replies and the PMs. My son's offer to purchase the townhouse was accepted, so I (as co-buyer) am busy getting materials/documents, etc. to the underwriters. Yesterday was my wife's 54th birthday, so I was really busy for her. I'll eventually respond to the PMs - patience, please.

At some point, I may be able to upload a photo of the living/dining/kitchen space so y'all can see it. I've begun wondering if he'd be happier with some sort of HT setup, or a sound bar and subwoofer instead of a two-channel setup.....pondering....

I once considered a soundbar and a sub instead of a 2 channel front end.
Then after hearing the 2 setups, realized that the soundbar/sub is a creative solution, but not a real life solution. the 2 channel was way better.

with your budget, you'll need to decide to optimize either HT or 2 Chan, but not both.
Although both will be "the Jack of all Trades," it will ultimately be the "Master of None". (even with a $2k budget)

Look for a used Rhythmic sub in the classies. Buy a good 2 channel front end, a good source and amp, and call it good. You've provided your son with a generous gift. Leave it at that, and give your son the responsibility to upgrade the system.

All the brands you've mentioned are respectable- the Elac in particular: they keep building models, the bookshelves have gotten as much accolades as any other speaker out there the last 3 years. The Elac electronics and server are no joke either. The latter Nu-primes are wells-reviewed and liked. And your son will appreciate the Class D from the stand point of his Electric and Air-Conditioning bill.

OP, IMO we NOW live in the Golden Age of used gear. Ive bought 90% Used gear the last 15 years.
B/c I buy better Used gear that is built to last, instead of Newer stuff that lacks the same quality and longevity. Eg. I would rather buy a good Used DAC for $500-600 than an ok New DAC for the same price.

The good news, and likely the bad news, is that there is so much new and used competent gear out there these days, that it will be hard for you to go wrong. I mean, what is your son going to do if he doesn't like the system that you have generously given him? Complain about it?

YMMC, but you know what I mean,
Best to you and your son!

Archguy

« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2019, 01:44 am »
Don't over think this and don't waste money on presents YOU want.

I agree with this also, and think you should buy those presents for yourself.

MP3 is king

Are you quite sure.... I'm quite a bit older than 27 and even I haven't listened to MP3s for over a decade.  I think nearly everyone who isn't a fanatic simply streams music nowadays and even some of us fanatics do.

I vote for a BT Chip Amp with a sub out and some good speakers--bookshelfs and a sub.  The chip amp can be hidden away so it'll be one less thing to contend with when laying out the space in his new house.  The sub similarly, and good bookshelfs are amazing these days. 

Wayne1

« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2019, 04:51 am »
If you would consider DIY, take a look at https://toidsdiyaudio.com/2019/05/18/the-dinas-do-i-need-a-subwoofer/

I heard these at RMAF in their under $1000 system. This is an ACTIVE tri-amp system that will play down to 35 hZ. Very small footprint.

I believe these can be built for around $350. Quite impressive.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2019, 03:41 pm »
Look no further then you garage.  As I recall there is was a F12 packed away a few years ago?   There was also a intro HT setup packed away.  Since this is his first place bigger then a dorm room I would let thing evolve.  If I recall he doesn't own a TV?   

Just because you need a audio setup doesn't mean he does. 

And I will add in one of my children mentioned that the sibling didn't want a stereo in their home so I would go outside and do some work while I visited :thumb:
We have amended that situation.

Alan

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2019, 11:48 pm »
Shock! Horror!

My son actually expressed interest in audio gear today without my prompting him. I may end up giving him my lovely Adelphos speakers and my Nuprime IDA-8. Then, I'll have to come up with replacement speakers. Hmm. I wonder what might replace them?  :icon_twisted:

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #36 on: 30 Oct 2019, 01:35 am »
Darko recently posted a couple "complete systems for less than $___" videos which might have useful ideas for you...

< $1,000: https://youtu.be/c49korQoYpI

< $750: https://youtu.be/co_rYIfpfmA

Here's Guttenberg's take on < $1,250: https://youtu.be/Fdb8wLd73Tg

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #37 on: 30 Oct 2019, 06:26 am »
Funny, my oldest just bought a turntable and asked advice on what to pair with it.  His friend Greg owns Get Hip Recordings which is an insanely awesome combo record store, recording studio, record warehouse (think final scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark big), which has a small stage where we saw The Fleshtones this month.  Combined with him buying a big audio video rack and needing to fill it with something he's getting the bug.  I thought a Denon receiver from accessories4less with a MM input combined with those DCM speakers on sale for $85 on another thread would be a good starter.  I'll stop over later this week and see if he wants to get more involved.  If you guys have suggestions for a house poor 30 something just starting out I'm all ears.  Oh, the table is a Pioneer PL 550 needing only a little clean up.

uncola

« Reply #38 on: 31 Oct 2019, 04:04 pm »
If you give him the adelphos, that gives you an excuse to get some even higher end bookshelves for your setup :)  Ascend Sierra 2 EX  or you could build a diy Selah Tempesta mk2

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #39 on: 31 Oct 2019, 05:55 pm »
Funny, my oldest just bought a turntable and asked advice on what to pair with it.  His friend Greg owns Get Hip Recordings which is an insanely awesome combo record store, recording studio, record warehouse (think final scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark big), which has a small stage where we saw The Fleshtones this month.  Combined with him buying a big audio video rack and needing to fill it with something he's getting the bug.  I thought a Denon receiver from accessories4less with a MM input combined with those DCM speakers on sale for $85 on another thread would be a good starter.  I'll stop over later this week and see if he wants to get more involved.  If you guys have suggestions for a house poor 30 something just starting out I'm all ears.  Oh, the table is a Pioneer PL 550 needing only a little clean up.

Get him a Schiit Mani phono preamp or a used Emotiva XPS-1 Gen 2 phono pre.  My son has the emotiva and it sounds great for the price.  It does MM and MC with adjustable impedance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133219325239

If you want to spend a little more the Lounge Audio LCR III