Magnepan’s ‘1.6QR, and VMPS’s ‘626R

maxwalrath

« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2004, 05:53 pm »
I started to take note of the comments you made to show that you did in fact pick cinema's post apart, I realized when I was done I should've copied the whole thing...

and I only revisted this because I felt guilty about my name calling :lol:

There's direct name calling and then there's what you do...I think we both fall under the definition of rude, but I prefer the direct approach any day, for those who don't I apologize.

"While I appreciate your ability to respond, what was given obviously doesn’t help"

"None of the abovementioned speakers address the heart of my question; and seeing that the needed comparison in the required conditions wasn’t made either, you further missed the stated mark."

"Hopefully you’re aware that communicating non-supported statements of a few model designations from one manufacturer’s line, doesn’t cover specific questions from another series; especially when you lend no experience with the series in question. While each manufacturer tends to have their ‘house sound’, it’s wise not to use blanket statements unless you know how to supply comparative information to illustrate the point"

"No offense, but without providing substantive observations to support your statement, it’s unfortunately useless to me and those interested in the comparative fidelity of the ‘1.6’s to the ‘626’s"

"then the general use of “Maggie’s” in your ‘summation’ makes it even more vague for all of the apparent reasons"

What problems/observations/anomalies/etc. led you to your abovementioned ‘conclusion’ was it:
"8. Lack of time and experience"...this takes the cake

"Is your acquaintance with the ‘R’s and the unmentioned surrounds what led you to make a sweeping conclusion for Maggies in general"

"As the ‘1.6’s are more tolerant of dynamic swings at a given volume in comparison to their R Series brethren, this wont be as much of a problem - if it arises at all seeing that I listen below nominal reference. Again, do you have experience with the ‘1.6’s in how they relate to the ‘626’s or not? "

"Though this once again is an unqualified statement, you may’ve understood from the original post that I’m not interested in other Magnepans (especially as surrounds); if I were; I would’ve made the plea more general"

"That’s a nice opinion and all but it doesn’t address my specific questions. I’m not looking for random unqualified responses, if so I would’ve opened the thread to that very purpose. If you can qualify the above statement (actually your whole ‘response’) with the litmus test listed in the original post thereby staying on track, it would be much appreciated."

"Again, more indistinctness…"

"Nevertheless had you paid attention"

"Seeing that you provided absolutely no care in addressing my questions; and what you did relay has no bearing on the subject matter, I obviously can’t put credence into the above opinion either. Moreover, if your inability to genuinely handle direct issues is any indication to the way you deal with the specific needs and questions of customers, it’s a good thing you didn’t waste my time in person. "

"If I have time to do a proper audition of the given entrants, you can DAMN well be sure that you’ll have a great deal of communicated insight to their given properties; not a host of unsupported fluff found common in (sic) manya today’s reviews and forum banter"

AirCeej

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2004, 05:54 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
AirCeej,
Why don't you take advantage of the trial period from VMPS and do the comparison yourself and post your detailed experiences here?

Cool, didn’t know that existed.  

Quote from: Tyson
That's what I usually do, as I find that I have preferences for music and movie sonic presentation that others may not share, even if they demo'd the exact same gear in the exact same room.

Then others can take it or leave it, as far as the value of the comparisons I do and post.

I will make one possibly relevant observation for the 626R's and the Maggies (I've heard the 1.6R's). Both of them are relatively limited in their ability to hit large dynamic peaks when already playing at a loud level. Simple a matter of not enough air moving ability. For specifically a HT setup, I know that the RM40's and RM30's would be a better choice, simply for the ability to play louder with much less distortion and without approaching the maximum volume the speaker is capable of.

The bigger VMPS speakers simply have greater dynamic overhead than either the 1.6R's or the 626R's. So, I would recommend forgetting the 626R's and go for something that would be an actual step up, the RM30's or RM40's.

Thanks for the relevant information!

Warm regards,
=AirCeej=

sfpepper

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2004, 01:12 am »
If I find that the '626s' dethrone the Magnepans (a pretty lofty
task considering all that they do right...

And just what, pray tell, are all the things that Magnepan 1.6s do right?

cinema&sound

• http://www.cinema-and-sound.com
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2004, 02:03 am »
I see that my attempt to share my experiences on Magneplanar speaker and VMPS has caused lots of emotional responses.

I really haven't checked back until now and I am sorry that I seem to have "started something”. (Not intentionally)

I really don’t have the time to engage in defending myself. Please forgive me. I don’t mean to offend anyone.

I agree with Tyson’s comment on the larger speaker and dynamic range. I also agree with the 1.6QR’s ability in this regard. IMHO if you like the 1.6QR for main speakers you will not like VMPS. It is the ribbon technology that is the difference. The Maggie 2.6R was the size of the 1.6 but like the 3.6R in technology. The founder of Magnepan once remarked that the 2.6R were the best value the ever made.

The point I am making (perhaps poorly) is the accuracy, openness, and upper frequency response of the ribbon Maggie is also the strength of VMPS but without some of the Maggie downsides.

Again the whole point of Magnepan is to create a sound field based on a LARGE ribbon diaphragm. It is also the point that they are exploiting the reflected sound on the back wave. This works when you have two speakers. It is not a feature when you have 5,6, or 7 as in surround sound.

If anyone has specific questions on my experiences I will answer them. Otherwise please enjoy your discussion. (That is the point of this group)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2004, 06:33 am »
It may not be correct to admit this but some of the member's responses gave me a great laugh.  They may not have been polite, but I got a kick out of it.  I must agree with an earlier response.  The original poster's request is for too much data, all of which will be subjectively colored unless the guy has a degree & tests speakers professionally full time.  Even if someone made a list of the original questions & answered them with total honesty & detail, the response is colored by the responder's likely different hearing & different room from the original poster.  The original poster is requesting info only he can supply for himself.  Both spkrs are cheap & light enough for him to compare at home.  It appears unrealistic to ask someone else to get it him.

I think member JonBee (also at AA) owned the 1.5Rs & much more prefers his 626R.

AirCeej

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2004, 12:10 pm »
C&S,

No need to apologize, just the opposite; I apologize to you for sounding so harsh (which wasn’t my intent), you certainly didn’t offend anyone.

Warm regards,
=AirCeej=

Code Chemist

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2004, 02:48 pm »
I haven't actually listened to any Maggie speakers, but I have had a chance to closely inspect some.  One issue which may be of concern is the buid quality; it was pretty poor on the pair that I inspected (poor finish, misaligned grills/parts etc.)

bubba966

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:23 pm »
Reading some of this thread makes me think I'm listening to The Achitect... :lol:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jan 2004, 08:36 pm »
Well I'm not going to "get all technical" as you have requested but I did own the Magnepan 1.6's and they did not work well for HT.  As was stated by one reply(that you so rudely tore apart)I had the same problem, they often would blow a fuse during a rather dynamic scene in a movie. I have owned two pairs of Maggies and blew fuses in both of them. I have since moved on.  I do not own the 626's but my experience with the maggies was "nice" but I won't be buying them again.  Hope this helps but I doubt it will................ :?