The VMPS Patent, Parts I, II, III, IV

ScottMayo

The VMPS Patent, Part the First
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2005, 04:51 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
We don't have anything to discuss. There's really no data to discuss and even if there were most of us are not technical enough to discuss it intelligently anyway.

Right. So far we know what he tried that didn't work. Part The Second, which will doubtless start with "Those were dark days for the rebel alliance", might provide some real meat - either that, or Brian is likely to face a pitchfolk waving mob.

John B

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2005, 05:32 am »
When Brian explained it all to me, I believe it was about an hour into the conversation before we got to the present discovery  :mrgreen:  So far you've heard the first 5 minutes of that dissertation on the subject.  Sit back, relax, have a cigar and a snifter or two of cognac, you'll get to the end of the story in due course.  It's worth the wait, especially if you get the speakers  :wink:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2005, 02:12 pm »
Quote from: John B
When Brian explained it all to me, I believe it was about an hour into the conversation before we got to the present discovery  :mrgreen:  So far you've heard the first 5 minutes of that dissertation on the subject.  Sit back, relax, have a cigar and a snifter or two of cognac, you'll get to the end of the story in due course.  It's worth the wait, especially if you get the speakers  :wink:

Dang it,

I just knew it was going to play out like a soap opera! :mrgreen:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
patent
« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2005, 04:30 pm »
Part Deux later today, Part the Third Monday/Tuesday.  I have some nicely veneered "New Tech" samples coming in Monday and want to post their pix with the Big Finish.

John Casler

Re: patent
« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2005, 04:47 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Part Deux later today, Part the Third Monday/Tuesday.  I have some nicely veneered "New Tech" samples coming in Monday and want to post their pix with the Big Finish.

OK, now the cat is really out of the bag.

If you read between the lines here.

anyone????

OK, The cool thing is that not only does the new technology spruce up the sonics, it also adds a "very cool" LOOK to the speakers.

You'll see what I mean.  Even my prototypes looked good.  I can't imagine what a well finished unit will look like, but it could be very cool :mrgreen:

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2005, 04:56 pm »
I admit it, the "New Tech" doesn't look much like a loudspeaker anymore.

Marbles

« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:09 pm »
Pictures would be nice...would save you about 1000 words  :wink:

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:11 pm »
How about 10,000 words, and pictures?

The new look is wild, if I say so myself!

ScottMayo

« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:33 pm »

Stop yapping and post some Information.  :lol:

---------------------------

Let's see who the trivia buffs are. Name the source:

"What do you want?"
"Information."
"Whose side are you on?"
"That would be telling... we want information... information... information."
"You won't get it."
"By hook or by crook, we will."

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:44 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo

Stop yapping and post some Information.  :lol:

Actually, start yapping so we can fill the 10k words. :lol:

Brian Cheney

The VMPS Patent, Part Deux
« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2005, 07:48 pm »
It was a dark and stormy night in 2004.  My fevered brain tossed and turned, tormented by thoughts of better loudspeakers.  Suddenly, a murky vision of my late father, Darth Vader, materializes.  "Brian my son!", he mutters in that heavily-processed voice, "You must GO BACK! BACK, to Constant Directivity!! It is your DESTINY!"

I awake in a panic, grasp desperately for my $400 Dell desktop, and go on line.  Out of nowhere a press release for the Beolab 5 appears, and I recognize this as a sign from the audio ethernet, or whatever.  Here is a design that most resembles three frisbees mating with a traffic cone, but it offers what appears to be fairly constant directivity with frequency over a wide angle, perhaps as much as 180 degrees.  Some things familar stand out:  a triangular disperser is affixed to a standard 1" softdome tweeter.  A dome mid fires upward into an eggshaped chamber, the portal from which is--you guessed it--triangular. A large woofer fires downwards for omnidirectional bass and midbass.

Someone has taken My CD Shape and appropriated it for his own purposes.  Turns out it's a guy in Sausalito who sold B&O a license.
No matter, there are too many coincidences for this to be a coincidence.
Other people are hot on the trail of a full-range Constant Directivity loudspeaker, no question about it.

Forward to January 2005 and the Best of CES Award going to the NHT Xd, a small 2way with outboard sub and very high order filters.  Although the "boxcar" filters don't really change the directivity of the drivers, they do minimize lobing in the crossover region by simply cutting off the woofer where it becomes directional very, very sharply.  The system is reported to have outstanding off-axis sound quality.

I am no fan of diffraction lenses.  The elliptical dispersers of the Beolab 5 are just that, and they are enormous.  This means wide dispersion is achieved at the expense of a secondary sound source, considerably delayed from the direct sound of the driver.  I am also no fan of "boxcar" filters, with their poor transient response and large amounts of signal processing.  But in truth, both the Beolab and NHT approaches are valid and do achieve enhanced directivity which could be a great advantage for any speaker, partiularly the planar types which because of their width are not known for  broad, even dispersion.

And I didn't need to be reminded online that the first order filters I prize for their natural sound, excellent transient response, and real phase integrity perform poorly off axis in the crossover region.  It is not uncommon for sum-and-difference lobes to generate 15 dB amplitude swings here.  While the crossover region is relatively narrow, the lobing is audible.  The standard recourse is overlap/underlap.  In the former, on-axis linearity through the crossover is improved, but off-axis nonlinearity is increased.  The latter improves off-axis response somewhat at the expense of narrow-but-deep notches in amplitude response.  Neither solution is much more than a stopgap, but since first order filters (in particular series first-order filters, with their accelerated 12 dB high pass sections) have so many sterling qualities, I stick with them.

Surely I can do something with my triangles, diamonds, thick-centered X's and other CD shapes for a planar?  What I need is a transducer that is very wide range (down to at least 300Hz, up to at least 20 kHz), high output, high power handling, high sensitivity, high linearity, low distortion, and about two-thirds of an inch wide (wavelength of 20 kHz).  I do have a rectangular panel about 2.5" wide, 7" high, with much of what I want but hardly all of the above.  

So, I start by masking the panel off into CD shapes.  Remember I need to preserve width in order to have LF extension, and must eliminate width in order to have good directivity.  The masking does not go well.  The CD shape does not "spend enough time" being narrow.  The masks reflect energy back into the low mass diaphragm, disturbing linearity and causing weird colorations.   I am at yet another dead end.

END OF PT DEUX

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2005, 08:21 pm »
No Wonder the RM/x looks so much like Darth Vader.

Could the new speaker look like Darth Moll?

Anticipation is heavy :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

_scotty_

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2005, 09:59 pm »
"The Prisoner"

Florian

« Reply #33 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:20 am »
Good luck on everything Brian!

-Flo

Florian

« Reply #34 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:28 am »
When is the next info block coming?

-Flo

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #35 on: 16 Oct 2005, 06:09 am »
Monday or Tuesday, depending on the pix.

B

Florian

« Reply #36 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:06 am »
Thanks Brian.

-Flo

John B

« Reply #37 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:49 am »
You think you guys got it tough; you're just sitting on pins and needles waiting for info...I'm hear dying with anticipation, waiting for my actual production model Constant Directivity full range RM30C speakers, with the full boat upgrades of course  :mrgreen: to be born.  And to add just a bit more mystery to this fun adventure story...my RM30Cs will incorporate something I consider a "big advancement" in another aspect of what will be done with my production pair.  I've already determined this "big advancement's" worth through months of experimentation in other areas of design implementation outside of this speaker, but B will be the first to hear it incorporated into a speaker build.  Lucky puck!  :lol: So I need to take my own advice and comtemplate the value of patience in one's character building  8)

ScottMayo

« Reply #38 on: 16 Oct 2005, 09:04 pm »
But when do you get reviewed in the audio press? That's what I want to know.

suits_me

« Reply #39 on: 16 Oct 2005, 09:57 pm »
There's an awfully low signal to noise ratio in this thread. But at least it's all really cute.