Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

OgOgilby

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #60 on: 8 Jun 2010, 06:52 pm »
Hi JohnnyB,

Here is the easiest setup I have seen so far - this is the Male version only :icon_lol:

james

Love it  :lol:

So just hit the "Music" button and up comes the BDP-1 interface?

nikon

« Reply #61 on: 8 Jun 2010, 08:09 pm »
James

Will there be a 'package price' for both BCD-1 and BDA-1 if purchased at same time ...

mrhyfy

« Reply #62 on: 8 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm »
I agree with the others, $2,100 is a lot more than expected. It would be interesting to compare to the Transporter, though.

Keith
James,,,,RESPECTFULLY,, I don't really understand what I am buying here that would be worth $2550 (or so) CDN.  I understand that Bryston makes the best quality products and that you're in business to make money.   I get the price of your DAC, CDP and amps but somehow I just don't see it in this product.Are there a lot of goodies under the cover??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #63 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:31 pm »
James,,,,RESPECTFULLY,, I don't really understand what I am buying here that would be worth $2550 (or so) CDN.  I understand that Bryston makes the best quality products and that you're in business to make money.   I get the price of your DAC, CDP and amps but somehow I just don't see it in this product.Are there a lot of goodies under the cover??

Hi,

Yes lots of goodies done correctly! An industrial main board for decoding the hi-res digital files, a modified high quality sound card, a specialized digital output section using true 75 ohm AES-EBU and BNC, a nice graphic display with controls and last but not least months of software development to make the whole thing work.

I think if you look at the BDP-1 and the BDA-1 Dac as a package and for around $4200 you get a state of the art digital playback system it is well worth it - especially if you compare it to the cost of exotic cables :D

We shall see how it goes I guess :scratch: I really wanted to produce a product that was in no way a compromise.

james

werd

« Reply #64 on: 8 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm »
I am not sure if i am comfortable with it being more than the cost of the dac...

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #65 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:06 am »
Please understand the 2 line display is NOT meant to replace a normal network setup. It is just there to assist in simple less complicated file management and to allow quick setup and use without the need for a network connection.

I currently use 3 remotes to interface - an Itouch, A web-browzer on my desktop computer and my Mac laptop.

james

Do all 3 require the use of a router?

Trying to get away from using a router or a running computer, which is why I suggested a video out, instead of a VFD or LCD(RFI and EMI issues) to select programing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:21 am »
I am not sure if i am comfortable with it being more than the cost of the dac...

There are lots of other cheaper products available if thats what your after.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:23 am »
Do all 3 require the use of a router?

Trying to get away from using a router or a running computer, which is why I suggested a video out, instead of a VFD or LCD(RFI and EMI issues) to select programing.

It requires a router if you want to interface other than with the front panel display.  Adding video out creates noise issues on the mainboard.

james

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #68 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:36 am »
A lot of information to correlate with respect to this :scratch:

What advantages are they for an individual who already has an existing CD/SACD collection in adapting this technology with the BDP-1? I can understand an individual with a small music collection going this route with the BDP-1.

Also, I am wondering if “grabbing” a CD off the shelf and placing it in the CD player will be more user friendly than using the BDP-1?

I just ordered some music from Abney Park (a Steampunk band) and the option was there for a digital download, but I selected CD’s instead. It is going to be interesting watching the evolution of this kind of audio device.

Best wishes for the BDP-1 rollout.

Be well…

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:48 am »
A lot of information to correlate with respect to this :scratch:

What advantages are they for an individual who already has an existing CD/SACD collection in adapting this technology with the BDP-1? I can understand an individual with a small music collection going this route with the BDP-1.

Also, I am wondering if “grabbing” a CD off the shelf and placing it in the CD player will be more user friendly than using the BDP-1?

I just ordered some music from Abney Park (a Steampunk band) and the option was there for a digital download, but I selected CD’s instead. It is going to be interesting watching the evolution of this kind of audio device.

Best wishes for the BDP-1 rollout.

Be well…

Hi Laundrew,

I think it would depend on whether you want digital resolution in your music beyond 44.1/16bit :D

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #70 on: 9 Jun 2010, 01:03 am »
If the BDP-1 gets the music right(which I'm sure she does),then I'm all for it.
been thinking about those thumb drives,you can put a huge selection of music on those,
Different styles or whatever you want and their small.
If she does the BCD-1 or BDA-1 quality,then she's a no brainer for me,even if she was more costlier.
TWO ANACONDA HELIXES,she's paid for :thumb:,of course I don't use those any more :D.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #71 on: 9 Jun 2010, 01:14 am »
Hi Laundrew,

I think it would depend on whether you want digital resolution in your music beyond 44.1/16bit :D

james

I will definitely go and have a listen to this gear when it is out. I just feel like we are on this huge circular ride to achieve a truer, digitally created analogue waveform - it is almost like we are trying to re-invent vinyl or magnetic tape using 1‘s and 0‘s.

Although I do not own a TT, I have a sneaking suspicion, that in the not so distant future, some creative marketing consultants will re-introduce the LP as the ultimate analogue source for home audio…

Be well...

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #72 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:25 am »
...i think that one of the benefits is that you dont have to turn on your computer to get access to your digital music files?!

al.

KeithA

« Reply #73 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:36 am »
...i think that one of the benefits is that you dont have to turn on your computer to get access to your digital music files?!

al.

Yep, that's an advantage for some, for sure. Whenever I'm home my computer is on anyway, so I would be indifferent to that part.

Keith

Napalm

« Reply #74 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:56 am »
LOL didn't I predict that this would be the most controversial Bryston product ever.....

"Told you so"!

Nap.  :lol:

Napalm

« Reply #75 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:23 am »
OK let me explain....

Is it controversial because it's not obvious at first glance what it is.

It is a.... transport. A hard disk transport. Similar to a CD transport, except it reads data from a hard drive. A state of the art audiophile hard disk transport @ $2000. Forget about the remotes, network and the infinite ways you could organize and display the playlists. That's just an user interface. The essence is that it is a transport.

Now to compound the  :scratch:, there are two additional issues.

First, it doesn't have a DAC. If Bryston came up with the BCD-1 as a transport only too, it would had been controversial for the same reason ("mhhh yet another transport, digital is digital, the bits on the cable are the same so why do I need a $2000 one, my $500 CD player has digital output and will do the job as well").

Second, the hi-rez downloads are not a well established "media". So people don't think yet about them very seriously. They mostly think "CD rips" for now, which makes the BDP controversial again. ("why not just listen to the CDs directly").

Nap.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #76 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:27 am »
OK let me explain....

Is it controversial because it's not obvious at first glance what it is.

It is a.... transport. A hard disk transport. Similar to a CD transport, except it reads data from a hard drive. A state of the art audiophile hard disk transport @ $2000. Forget about the remotes, network and the infinite ways you could organize and display the playlists. That's just an user interface. The essence is that it is a transport.

Now to compound the  :scratch:, there are two additional issues.

First, it doesn't have a DAC. If Bryston came up with the BCD-1 as a transport only too, it would had been controversial for the same reason ("mhhh yet another transport, digital is digital, the bits on the cable are the same so why do I need a $2000 one, my $500 CD player has digital output and will do the job as well").

Second, the hi-rez downloads are not a well established "media". So people don't think yet about them very seriously. They mostly think "CD rips" for now, which makes the BDP controversial again. ("why not just listen to the CDs directly").

Because cd drives are inheritantly high in jitter..

Napalm

« Reply #77 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:40 am »
Because cd drives are inheritantly high in jitter..

... and errors etc.

We already had a thread started by Mag where we identified several very strong reasons to play the data from a hard disk instead of a CD.

Let's look at the economic aspect too: you can have the BCD-1 for $3500 or the BDA-1/BDP-1 combo for $4000.

Which one to go?

Napalm

« Reply #78 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:49 am »
Hint: James already stated that there won't be a BCD-2. Look at the BDA-1/BDP-1 combo as the "BCD-2".

werd

« Reply #79 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:54 am »
... and errors etc.

We already had a thread started by Mag where we identified several very strong reasons to play the data from a hard disk instead of a CD.

Let's look at the economic aspect too: you can have the BCD-1 for $3500 or the BDA-1/BDP-1 combo for $4000.

Which one to go?

You mean $2500 on the bcd