• http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #120 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:24 pm »
OK - I pass

james :D

1ZIP

« Reply #121 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:08 pm »
Okay, this thing has a display, what does it display?  What can this thing tell you about the content of a particular thumb drive or hard drive when operating in the "stand alone" mode?

werd

« Reply #122 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:14 pm »
Okay, this thing has a display, what does it display?  What can this thing tell you about the content of a particular thumb drive or hard drive when operating in the "stand alone" mode?

Tells you there are tunes playing.... and to start dancing ....yahoo!!!

1ZIP

« Reply #123 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:20 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I won't be throwing out my iPOD any time soon.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #124 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:08 pm »
James,
Don't give up on us.  This thing could be great, but since you laid it out there in preview mode you HAD to assume we'd ask.   :)

You mention in the pre-release info that it has a state of the art sound card.  If that means it competes with the Lynx's of the world, and has the flexibility required to connect to various hi-end DAC's (your market would be too small if it were just a BDA-1 partner, and few will spend $2100 and connect it to a $500 DAC) then why wouldn't Bryston be open to an interface (BNC/SPDIF) that allows for external clocking like Antelope, etc?  It's really not a whacked idea...

werd

« Reply #125 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:17 pm »
James,
Don't give up on us.  This thing could be great, but since you laid it out there in preview mode you HAD to assume we'd ask.   :)

You mention in the pre-release info that it has a state of the art sound card.  If that means it competes with the Lynx's of the world, and has the flexibility required to connect to various hi-end DAC's (your market would be too small if it were just a BDA-1 partner, and few will spend $2100 and connect it to a $500 DAC) then why wouldn't Bryston be open to an interface (BNC/SPDIF) that allows for external clocking like Antelope, etc?  It's really not a whacked idea...

I agree, but its because the bda 1 doesnt have a master out on the clock.... It kinda points to that if you put one the bdp and not have it on the bda...

BrysTony

« Reply #126 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:19 pm »

On my desk right now I have a thumb drive with three hi-res (24/96) albums plus one other song.  I know exactly what they are and with the BDP-1 I will be able to insert it into the front panel, scroll down to the selection I want to hear using the display and hit play.  I want it to be easy and convenient and  that works for me.  With the BDP-1 connected to my network, I am confident that there will be a satisfactory interface to the hard drive connected to the BDP-1.

I have only one issue with the current implementation of the BDP-1 and James has stated that it is being looked at for future implementation.  The BDP-1 as configured today is not capable of utilizing a storage device on the network.  So, if I want to download a new file for play or want to add the content of a CD to the hard drive I must disconnect the drive from the BDP-1, connect it to a computer, add the files, remove it from the computer and reinstall to the BDP-1.  I want convenience, that is, I want to update the music library without moving hardware around.  I would like to see Bryston push to implement NAS for the initial release of the BDP-1 or at least provide assurance that it can be implemented later through firmware update -- not on the BDP-2. 

I am looking forward to adding the BDP-1 to my system.

Tony

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #127 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:24 pm »

I agree, but its because the bda 1 doesnt have a master out on the clock.... It kinda points to that if you put one the bdp and not have it on the bda...

good point

Napalm

« Reply #128 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:33 pm »
good point

High time for BDA-1 Rev.2......

Nap.

rob80b

« Reply #129 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:57 pm »
Ok, I think I’ve taken all this in, now if Bryston had announced a Digital Player (I believe it was announced as such which muddied the waters), one that is an all in one box BDA-1 DAC/BDP-1 ala BCD-1, I’m sure this would have been less confusing, sort of like when the BDA-1 DAC came out people asked if there was to be a Bryston transport, in this case it’s the other way around.
With so many out there going strictly straight to digital storage it might make a lot of sense, but there are many myself included, that are still trying to hold onto the concept of serious listening as something where we allocate time for it, (like preparing for a live performance but at home on the “Stereo”) and that mass storage is almost sacrilegious taking on air of personal “Musak”.
This is probably one of the reasons why vinyl is still held in such esteem in many circles and also why not everyone has not transferred their CDs to the PC, what’s the point, by the time you boot the system, launch the programs, scroll through menus your CD or LP would already be playing and that’s if you actual had a computer in the listening (living room).
But what I’m really getting at is that we all agree CDs were always a limited format for high-end playback and storage from the get go, we were all waiting for that hi-res, commercially accepted playback medium, but here we are 30 years down the road and still buying 16bit CDs.
Bryston’s obviously on the right track and if we can get the recording industry to unanimously start offering commercially available hi-res files the BDA-1 DAC/BDP-1 combo or all in one unit makes a lot of sense.

Robert

1ZIP

« Reply #130 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:41 pm »
On my desk right now I have a thumb drive with three hi-res (24/96) albums plus one other song.  I know exactly what they are and with the BDP-1 I will be able to insert it into the front panel, scroll down to the selection I want to hear using the display and hit play. 

Sounds appealing so far, other than now I have thumb drives laying around instead of jewel cases.

...but when it comes to the 1TB....

" by the time you boot the system, launch the programs, scroll through menus your CD or LP would already be playing and that’s if you actual had a computer in the listening (living room)."

...plus...

"So, if I want to download a new file for play or want to add the content of a CD to the hard drive I must disconnect the drive from the BDP-1, connect it to a computer, add the files, remove it from the computer and reinstall to the BDP-1.  I want convenience, that is, I want to update the music library without moving hardware around."

...it loses some appeal, at least for me.  But as someone said it's a great step forward. Bryston's market research must have found there is enough of a market, even at the price, to offset R&D + other costs. 

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 09:29 pm by 1ZIP »

Moon Doggy

« Reply #131 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:47 am »
Have no idea what you're talking about.

you have no idea of the issues facing people putting together a music server and DAC combo?

The link you cite from Computer Audiophile about the pocket server leads to many of those issues, choices, compromises, dilemmas that Chris and others have discussed for years before coming up with the Pocket Server. :roll:

I have M2Tech hiFace with BNC output device, plug-it in, install custom driver with Kernel Streaming and foobar, and you got PERFECT transport.

WASAPI on Windows7 with J.River resolves also the issue with Windows mixing stack.

If this level of setup is you're idea of "PERFECT" sound and you hear no difference between this and a PS Audio Transport and DAC @ $6000. Or hear no difference from the upcoming Bryston BDP-1 and DAC then stay with what you have.

Others can hear a huge difference. Especially on more expensive amps and speakers.

Aramys

« Reply #132 on: 18 Jun 2010, 11:32 pm »
Mmmm... It could be a good idea to add slots for optional 2,5" SSD on the rear of the unit, no ? :drool:
Also, I'm OK with the USB port but adding a multiformat memory card reader could be great to avoid having a protruding USB key on the front of the player.

(Is it me, or the curve of the front panel, as seen on the unit's side on the picture, is different from the current BDA-1 ? Please, no.)
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2010, 06:57 am by Aramys »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #133 on: 19 Jun 2010, 09:52 am »
Mmmm... It could be a good idea to add slots for optional 2,5" SSD on the rear of the unit, no ? :drool:
Also, I'm OK with the USB port but adding a multiformat memory card reader could be great to avoid having a protruding USB key on the front of the player.

(Is it me, or the curve of the front panel, as seen on the unit's side on the picture, is different from the current BDA-1 ? Please, no.)

Hi Aramys,

Just the picture - the front panel on the BDP-1 will have the same contour as the other single rack mount Bryston components.

james

nikon

« Reply #134 on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:05 pm »
james

any update on approximate release date for BDP-1 and pricing (is 2100 firm or will price be lower)  :eyebrows:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:28 pm »
james

any update on approximate release date for BDP-1 and pricing (is 2100 firm or will price be lower)  :eyebrows:

Hi - we are in the final stages and are building 4 prototypes to make sure all is well. Should be sometime in August for release but we are already a bunch backordered.  Yes it looks like $2100 list.

james

nl12048

« Reply #136 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:49 pm »
Why no line outputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:35 pm »
Why no line outputs?

Hi nl12048,

Because there is no analog stage internally in the BDP-1 - there are digital outputs (AES and BNC) which in turn feed our DAC (BDA-1) which has the DAC and the analog stage.

james

Napalm

« Reply #138 on: 4 Jul 2010, 05:58 am »
Breaking news - James just got a new BDP-1 prototype for testing and it's very intriguing. It seems to have everything that was ever suggested here - volume knob, tone controls, hard drive dock, touch screen user interface. There's even a tape backup unit there ('fess it up, who asked for that one, it must have been some private mail, as I don't remember the request being made in the forum?)

Spy pic here:

Nap.  :wink:

nikon

« Reply #139 on: 4 Jul 2010, 07:50 am »
looks like it has an AM/FM tuner as well ...

will the walnut side panels be available for other products  :o