Building a new headphone amp. Any suggestions?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Building a new headphone amp. Any suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2018, 04:40 pm »
Can you make the it so the amp has both single ended and balanced outputs?  I know a lot of guys over on head-fi in particular have balanced wired headphones.  A switch that lets you select between standard phono plug and 4 pin XLR (or even dual 3 pin XLRs) would probably help with a sale.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2018, 04:43 pm »
I should have been more clear. I was just asking what finish you thought would look nice, since the top plate is always aluminum w/ powdercoat (it's just easier this way since I've had no luck with anodizing companies).
I was more interested in what type of wood people like though. I usually use walnut for cost/ aesthetic reasons but my wood guy wanted to use something higher end, which is why I suggested Wenge, etc. My chassis have always been overbuilt/ heavy and vibrations have never been a worry.

If you're going with a silver case, then a light wood will look best.  Black case and cherry or maybe even purple heart would look amazing. 

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2018, 08:02 pm »
If you're going with a silver case, then a light wood will look best.  Black case and cherry or maybe even purple heart would look amazing.
Purple Heart sounds like an awesome choice, hadn't even considered it!
As for balanced outputs, I was planning on including them for convenience, just like the Makoyi amp. :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2018, 10:15 pm »
OK, for what I know most of audiophiles like mid brown wood looks, no clear wood, no dark dyers, no paint. As you know the looks of the wood no depends on the wood type but what dye was used, so I rec you use the cheapest real wood with a mid brown colour tone like it below:

I not like painted alu, do you like clear or brushed aluminum? its less cost than paint. If the wood base is thick if can filters the vibrations of the transformers to a lower noise floor and microphony. I was not referring to the tightening of the bolts.

Certainly tube amps fans like to choose the wood and the color of the wood so this is important at the purchase moment, so I suggest you let the wood choice to the buyer as some like it hot, other cold, warm etc

EDITED
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 11:59 pm by FullRangeMan »

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2018, 12:55 am »
Finally got (almost) everything in! Here's a sneak peak at what's going in:

(those huge cans are the bypass caps!)

I'm going fully regulated for both the B+ and heater power supplies while still being 5Y3 rectified and I will be using 6N6P tubes for both the voltage gain and output tubes  :thumb:

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2018, 08:53 pm »
Hey there, just wanted to post again after being gone sick for so long. Here's a quick teaser pick of the new amp until I get a better (Padauk base, though the photo makes it look more orange than red). Will likely end up using something darker when I put the listing up:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:23 am »
Nice, any photo underside?
I have a box full of these 6N6P Novosibirsk,
wonder if they are compatible with the 6N1P/6N2P/6922-?

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:36 pm »
Nice, any photo underside?
I have a box full of these 6N6P Novosibirsk,
wonder if they are compatible with the 6N1P/6N2P/6922-?
It normally would be, but the dissipation would be too high for those tubes and they would live a very short life.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2019, 06:27 pm by Wolf Ear Audio »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:44 pm »
Thanks you most kind :thumb:

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #29 on: 25 Mar 2019, 06:57 pm »
This project has for the most part been abandoned since the result was not fully worth the investment. However, if someone is interested in the single amp I detailed here they can message me for details.

However, it did bring about a new preamp/ headphone amp idea. This one is a hybrid, however and uses a one 6SN7 tube per channel for the driver and an IRF610 Mosfet wired as a source follower for the output and has a very similar overall topology to the Natayo.
Some more details about it:
It is a fully single ended design and has very wide audio bandwidth (greater than 20hz-50khz@+/-1<db) since there are no output transformers
I used an Alps Blue Velvet potentiometer for the volume control and all Neutrik parts for the input and output connectors
One pair of RCA inputs, one pair of RCA outputs and a 1/4" SE jack headphone output
Output power is about 2.5W into 32 ohms and can drive very long preamp cables if needed

This amp is pictured with a Padauk chassis but will actually be shipping with a walnut chassis.
I made a few top plates exactly likes this but I plan on making a couple changes to it such as adding an output selector switch for the headphones and RCA outputs and also swapping the placement of the volume knob and headphone output. I plan to sell the new headphone amp (with mentioned changes) for 975USD with free shipping in North America.
However I would like to clear out the couple top plates I have left for this current design pictured before ordering new top plates and making a page on my website.
If anyone would like one made with the pictured top plate I will charge 850USD and also include free shipping within North America. I only have two of these top plates so it would be first come first serve for anyone interested.