X-Statik vs lxmini

allenSF

X-Statik vs lxmini
« on: 16 Sep 2015, 08:06 pm »
any thoughts on X-Statik vs lxmini?

Danny Richie

Re: X-Statik vs lxmini
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2015, 08:20 pm »
The A/V-O would be a closer comparison to the LX mini.

http://gr-research.com/av-o.aspx

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2015, 08:32 pm »
I have tried mounting a small full range (or wide band) driver in a zero baffle application. It makes a huge peak with a quickly falling response below the peak. So it requires a lot of correction (EQ'ing) to adjust the response back to flat. And I am not a big fan of having to use digital or active equalization to correct response problems. It adds a lot of unnecessary electronics to the signal path.

Also, an upward firing small woofer is omni up to nearly 2.5kHz. If you are going to play a driver that high then you might as well use a good tweeter. I constantly work with various small wide band drivers and offer one that I feel sets a benchmark for performance, but from 2kHz and up it is not as fast or as clean as a good tweeter. None of them are.

hifibuff

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2018, 10:33 pm »
Sorry for reviving this old thread. I really like the looks of the lxmini, but love the sound of Danny's speakers. Would the A/V-1 kit work in an tube enclosure for the woofer similar the the lxmini? I assume the tube would be shorter than used in the lxmini. The tweeter would be mounted on a small baffle in a similar location as the small driver on the lxmini. Would the tweeter then need to be in an enclosure to prevent any back wave into the room?

I have an old AV-1 kit with the GT T2 tweeter that is unbuilt somewhere in my storage that I maybe able to use for drivers. I am sure the x/o is different.

Thank you.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2018, 05:59 pm »
Sorry for reviving this old thread. I really like the looks of the lxmini, but love the sound of Danny's speakers. Would the A/V-1 kit work in an tube enclosure for the woofer similar the the lxmini? I assume the tube would be shorter than used in the lxmini. The tweeter would be mounted on a small baffle in a similar location as the small driver on the lxmini. Would the tweeter then need to be in an enclosure to prevent any back wave into the room?

I have an old AV-1 kit with the GT T2 tweeter that is unbuilt somewhere in my storage that I maybe able to use for drivers. I am sure the x/o is different.

Thank you.

The tweeter is closed back. So the only issue to deal with regarding the tweeter is the edge diffraction. The only real way to fix that is to mount it in the end of an egg shaped baffle.

I've tried things like that in the past but the negative effects on the response are greater than can be corrected with a passive filter. It would take some creative cabinet design to make it work.

So yes, the crossover becomes very different.

The A/V-O as designed works great, and sounds great.

There is also a version of it called the X-Omni that I designed for AV123. I still have an assembled pair of them in storage. Those things are great sounding speakers. I could make someone a real deal on those if they came by and picked them up. I'd hate to have to build shipping boxes for them.

hifibuff

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2018, 07:43 pm »
Thanks Danny. Too bad I am unable to pick up the X-Omni from you as I am in California . At the present living situation, I have no way of making any speaker enclosures. The SW lxmini speakers I could put together in my space but prefer something closer to your approach, simply passive crossover with really good sound.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2018, 07:56 pm »
Thanks Danny. Too bad I am unable to pick up the X-Omni from you as I am in California . At the present living situation, I have no way of making any speaker enclosures. The SW lxmini speakers I could put together in my space but prefer something closer to your approach, simply passive crossover with really good sound.

I can still ship you those X-Omni's and make you a good deal on them. I will just hate to have to build shipping boxes for them. I'll see if I have some old creates I can cut up or something.

hifibuff

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:00 pm »
That sounds great. Let me know the pricing and hopefully you will find some old crates. I know you are always busy so not too much of a rush. You can PM me or email me directly.

drewm

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:23 am »
If you can swing a bit more than the x-omni, these GR-Research O-3 are for sale in Los Angeles with local pickup:
https://www.ebay.com/i/232922619255?chn=ps

They've been listed for at least 3 months between ebay and craigslist, so I bet they would be willing to negotiate.

Here's the kit description:
http://gr-research.com/o-3.aspx

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2018, 04:51 pm »
Those are nice speakers.