Aqualung 40th Anniversary

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
Re: Aqualung 40th Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2011, 12:58 am »
That agua lung cd  was it late 80,s has got tobe the shittiest cd ever made.hopefullythis new deal really is good.

The 25th anniversary version was no-noised to death. Some claim the very first CD release was decent but it's difficult to find. Every other one that I have heard got one listening only. The 40th (new) not only trumps the prior ones it makes the album a good listen again IMO. I've played it at least a half-dozen times since last Friday.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2011, 05:28 am »
That agua lung cd  was it late 80,s has got tobe the shittiest cd ever made.hopefullythis new deal really is good.

Ihopeyouarrightanditrocks!

scoly

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:42 pm »
I'll be watching for reviews.  Thanks for pointing this out.
Steve

putz

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:59 am »
First got turned on to Tull in 1970 with Benefit. That's probably still my favorite album by them. Then Stand Up and This Was. Aqualung was the last decent album they made imo. Got it on MFSL vinyl when that came out back in the 80s.

I've seen them live many times over the years and Ian Anderson's voice has gone downhill big time in recent years. Thankfully I have my memories of seeing them back in 1971 with Yes as their opening act.

If you don't already have it, pick up Benefit. With you there to help me and To cry you a song are the best tracks.

It's frustrating that a lot of these expensive reissues have no alacarte menu.

Wayne-- It's only rock and Roll.

yeldarb

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:08 pm »
I bought the CD.  It blows the old Mobile Fidelity Aqualung LP I have away.  Plus it isn't noisy.  The remix brings a lot of instruments out of the mud.  I sat there listening, thinking, 'well, that's different, and damn if it's not better".  I have recently discovered Steven Wilson as a musician, in all his forms (bands), and I believe that he is brilliant.  As were Tull, in their time.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 23 Nov 2011, 01:32 am »
During the first listen I had to adjust my subwoofer. The bass really there in the mix.

droht

« Reply #26 on: 23 Nov 2011, 01:56 am »
I simply hate the album. I think it was a sick topic, and the other Tull LPs confirmed my opinion that the band sucked in many ways, tho they were musically talented, spiritually stupefied.

Wayner  8)

If you are going to spew hate why don't you provide some details? 

I think Anderson/Tull have long held that Aqualung was mostly just a bunch of songs on an album, but I don't think you can dismiss the repeated message of the critical distinction between spirituality and organized religion. 

I was a bit too young to be a fan of the band and  Aqualung when it was released, but songs like Wind Up helped crystallize my views on religion as a young teen.  The message this albums carries is way more important today than it was back in the 70s. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #27 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:40 am »
Is the only way to get the vinyl by buying the whole shebang? 
$140 (or thereabouts) is a bit much.
My mistake, $112.10.

Jim N.

« Reply #28 on: 23 Nov 2011, 03:02 am »
Is the only way to get the vinyl by buying the whole shebang? 
$140 (or thereabouts) is a bit much.
My mistake, $112.10.

As of now, yes, it's the only way to get the vinyl or the hi-rez discs. Some people are going in on sets together and dividing up the vinyl and hi-rez.

I ordered the set from Import CD's on 10/28 when they advertised a 74 dollar price for it but it's still on back order. They still show the price of 73.79 (good until 12/2) but with an out-of-stock, back-order status. They claim to have gotten over 350 orders for it and are still getting shipments from EMI. Hopefully I'll eventually get the set. If not, it's OK as I am quite happy with the CD version. Shipping, handling and sales tax pushed it up to 83 bucks for me.

Jim N.

« Reply #29 on: 23 Nov 2011, 03:05 am »
During the first listen I had to adjust my subwoofer. The bass really there in the mix.

That it is. It makes a huge difference in Clive Bunker's drums, along with the additional clarity the re-mix offers. It's not identical to the original mix but close enough for me.