Aqualung 40th Anniversary

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
Aqualung 40th Anniversary
« on: 6 Nov 2011, 07:54 pm »
Can't find any buzz about this here (well, maybe my tired old eyes missed it) but the new CD is very, very good. I'm still waiting for the box set (currently back ordered at Import CD's due to their low advertised price) but the word on the blu-ray is very positive. There are a lot of raves about this set over at the SH Forum and you can find links to very positive on-line reviews from there.

I picked up the 2 CD set to tide me over and I am very impressed with the remix by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree). It's remarkably clear for the recording and actually has a solid bottom end. For a notoriously murky and bass-shy album this new mix is a revelation. Peter Mew did a very good job of mastering. No wonky EQ or blatant no-noise. It's a wee bit louder than I would have liked but not overly so and does not really detract IMO. The second disk for bonus material actually has some worthwhile stuff.

The major complaint is the bundling of vinyl, blu-ray, CD and book into one mega set (cheapest in-stock I have seen for it right now is $111.00). The 2 Cd set runs about 17 bucks. The blu-ray also includes the old quad mix but is only available in the set with the vinyl.

sweetspot

Re: Aqualung 40th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2011, 08:59 pm »
I picked this up yesterday & listened to it last night. WOW!! You haven't heard"Aqualung" until you listen to this edition. It blows previous editions out of the water. Finally, a great remaster that does justice to this classic. Clear the house & crank it up!!!

Jim N.

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm »
Just an update on pricing. Import CD's (on their website, not as an Amazon marketplace vendor) has a status of "Out of stock" but lists the sale price of $73.79 for the deluxe being good through 12/2. I had emailed them regarding status of my pending order (submitted 10/28) and got a canned response that they expect more stock within the next two weeks and will fill the order then.

I've dealt with Import CD's often via Amazon Marketplace on literally hundreds of occasions without a glitch but this is my first order with them directly. I read a post in another forum that Import CD's is allegedly the US supplier for Amazon on this set and I assume that their low price drew a lot of orders and exhausted their initial supply. I have a feeling that this set is going to be as "limited" as the Beatles boxes wound up being.

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm »
One of my favorite albums.  Of course I first had this in 8 track format first :D 

NB

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm »
I simply hate the album. I think it was a sick topic, and the other Tull LPs confirmed my opinion that the band sucked in many ways, tho they were musically talented, spiritually stupefied.

Wayner  8)

dflee

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:18 pm »
And what part of rock and roll wasn't spiritually stupefied. I"m gonna try and get this. Thanks for starting a thread on this.

Later
Don

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm »
And what part of rock and roll wasn't spiritually stupefied. I"m gonna try and get this. Thanks for starting a thread on this.

Later
Don

I'm with you on this Don.  Rock in general is not exactly Wagner, but folks do not listen to it for that vibe.

Although these days I listen to mostly classical, rock still has it place for us of a certain age.

Bonn Scott was not exactly a poster child for political correctness, but hey, vintage AD/DC ROCKS!!!! 8)

I will pick this up as well.  I saw Ian Anderson last Nov at the MGM Grand in CT, and he is still a top flight musician,  as was his support cast.  Puts a lot of what passes for popular music these days to shame.

sweetspot

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm »
I simply hate the album. I think it was a sick topic, and the other Tull LPs confirmed my opinion that the band sucked in many ways, tho they were musically talented, spiritually stupefied.

Wayner  8)

:o Different strokes for different folks!!! BTW. wanna sell your TULL LP'S? :lol:

Jim N.

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2011, 01:00 am »
Amazon is temporarily out of stock of the 2 cd set as is Import CD's.

It seems to me to be the most positively reviewed remaster since The Beatles in '09, perhaps even more so.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2011, 01:49 am »
By far my favorite Jethro Tull album. Aah the memories this ones brings up.........! What a time it was.
I'm putting it in my Amazon cart for shipment when available.

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2011, 02:26 am »
I have the DCC Gold CD of Aqualung. I compared it to the 40th Anniversary release and the new remaster is FAR superior.

I was fortunate to see the opening show of the 40th Anniversary tour in the US at Red Rocks this summer. Scored 5th row center tickets  :thumb: The band is in amazing shape for their age. I was also fortunate enough to see the first US tour at Carnegie Hall. Seats weren't quite as good back then.

doorman

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2011, 04:08 am »
You know you're old when--I bought the album, vinyl, of course, when first released.
I was a must have back in the day.
"Content" be damned. It was rock, it got you movin'!!
I can't imagine buying it now, though!
don
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2011, 03:41 pm by doorman »

Lyndon

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:01 am »
When are they going to release the "Thick As A Brick" album?

sweetspot

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2011, 09:33 am »

I heard it will be sometime in the new year.

craig223

« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2011, 02:23 pm »
Saw Tull do Aqualung and Thick as a Brick in 73.  They were superb musicians!  Played for 3.5 hours on extended versions of all of the titles.  Parts of Thick as a Brick are truly magical.  Had a date with a gorgeous flower child, a magical night! 

Tull for me has not stood the test of time though.  Not willing to spend more money on music that I got tired of in the 70s.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:04 pm »
  My reference Aqualung is the Classic Records reissue on LP. Before that the Mobile Fidelity LP.
  Never bought a CD copy. Just do not listen to rock as much these days. Nice to know though thanks.

charles
SMA

Jim N.

« Reply #16 on: 7 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm »

Next year. Apparently the new re-mix by Steven Wilson is done.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #17 on: 7 Nov 2011, 10:32 pm »
I'll never forget the live performance in Rome, Italy in 1972... AMAZING.  So loud that after the concert, I could hardly hear the rest of the night.

Jim N.

« Reply #18 on: 7 Nov 2011, 10:51 pm »
Just thought that I would add the the album itself was not a particularly good recording. You won't use it to audition gear. However, you will use it to greatly enjoy the music itself.

The additional clarity does not really help Ian Anderson's somewhat harsh and thin vocals on many tracks. The main beneficiary is Clive Bunker. His cymbals are there and sound right and the bottom end on this remix gives his drums much needed authority and punch along with simply making them sound like drums.

I think it is the best that they could do given the source multis. Given the dodgy history of the digital versions (I have not heard the DCC Gold but even in he SH Forum those who have both seem to prefer the 40th) it is a major step forward.

I have not heard the blu-ray yet. I have no use for vinyl but a couple of people in the SH Forum have decided they prefer the new LP to the Classic Records. The problem is that both (blu-ray & vinyl) are only available in the deluxe set and the price has been rising for that. I am probably going to sell the vinyl separately when Import CD's finally ships the set.

bummrush

« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2011, 12:11 am »
That agua lung cd  was it late 80,s has got tobe the shittiest cd ever made.hopefullythis new deal really is good.