Nina Simone recommendation?

brj

Nina Simone recommendation?
« on: 19 Nov 2011, 07:13 pm »
Hi all.

I picked up "The Very Best of Nina Simone" recently, primarily to get her "Sinnerman" rendition.  It turns out that I really enjoy the entire CD, but the recording quality is a bit variable.

Does anyone have another Nina Simone recommendation that they really enjoy, but is also well recorded?

Many thanks!

toxteth ogrady

Re: Nina Simone recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:51 pm »
This one sounds pretty good for cd: http://www.amazon.com/Nina-Simone-Anthology/dp/B00009PJPJ

Though, still doesn't come close to a couple of the original pressings I own on vinyl.

zeke

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:20 am »
I like blues, so i like this one......

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2011, 01:35 pm »
I don't know if you do download but the samples sound pretty good here: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD00602498886922

You could always download and convert to a cd and .wav...

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:04 pm »
As django11 suggests, you might want to check out HDtracks. The 24 bit version of "I Put a Spell on You" sounds very nice.

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:17 pm »
If you can find one I suggest the Here comes the sun release.  Later years release done very well with excellent SQ

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:40 pm »
I was plesantly surprised by the quality of the CDs on To Be Free: The Nina Simone Story.  Three CDs and one DVD.  $20.99 at Amazon  It has everything but "Sinnerman"  :lol:  I have not watched the DVD so I can't comment on it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2011, 06:55 am »
As django11 suggests, you might want to check out HDtracks. The 24 bit version of "I Put a Spell on You" sounds very nice.

One of the tracks I brought to RMAF this year....super tune! 8)

brj

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2011, 06:24 pm »
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

Off to do some research...

sebrof

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm »
Nina Simone at Town Hall sounds good to me.

anodyne

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2011, 02:28 am »
Little Girl Blue has always been one of my favorite Nina Simone discs.  Check it out.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2011, 04:12 am »

Listening to this right now - 2006 Verve re-issue of recordings from 1965-66. Sound quality is quite good - nice job done on polishing up these tracks. More importantly, she's at her prime as a vocalist and doing some really nice material including Sinnerman and Strange Fruit:thumb:

D.D.

REShaman

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2011, 07:19 am »

Great sounding CD. Have converted from redbook CD to AIFF and play through Amarra or any other computer audio player with equally wonderful SQ

Singer-Pianist Nina Simone was one of the most revered artists of her generation. Spotlighting her smoldering vocals and adventurous taste in songs, this collection encompasses a diverse array of material, including her own celebrated compositions, memorable interpretations of jazz standards, and riveting readings of r&b classics.

Singer-Pianist Nina Simone was one of the most revered artists of her generation. Spotlighting her smoldering vocals and adventurous taste in songs, this collection encompasses a diverse array of material, including her own celebrated compositions, memorable interpretations of jazz standards, and riveting readings of r&b classics.

Selections:
1. I Put a Spell on You
2. He Ain't Coming Home No More
3. I Love You, Porgy
4. Mississippi Goddam
5. Tell Me More and More and Then Some
6. Love Me or Leave Me
7. See-Line Woman
8. Wild is the Wind
9. Four Women
10. Don't You Pay Them No Mind
11. Lilac Wine