Router Bits

Don_S

Router Bits
« on: 12 Oct 2021, 09:52 pm »
I need to put a 45 degree chamfer on walnut butcher block. I only want it to be about 1/8" or a bit more but not 3/16". Do they make router bits without the guide wheels? I will use a router table with a guide bar to set my distance. All the bits I find seem to be for free-handing (or whatever it is called). Brand recommendations?

I can probably ignore the guide wheel when I place the guide bar. But I thought bits without the wheel might work better and be cheaper.

WGH

Re: Router Bits
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:28 pm »
I like the router bits from Grizzly Tools, good quality and affordable.

The bearing can be removed with a very small Allen wrench but you can leave it on because it will be below the router table.
https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:161)&fq=(cutter_angle:%2245+deg%22)

I would use the other router bit on the page and free hand it using my small Porter Cable 100 router but then I have 40 years of practice and you have to go with your comfort level.
A non-slip router pad keeps the wood from moving.

Whatever bit you use always do the end grain first.

Craig B

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:40 pm »
If you use a router table, it shouldn't matter that the bit has a guide bearing, as it will be below the table's surface where your workpiece never contacts it. You set the amount of chamfer you want by bit height and fence position, then just run the board along the fence. I recommend a trial pass or two with scrap first.

And yes, do the end grain first since it's prone to chipout at the end of the pass, and that will get cleaned up when you run the non-endgrain sides (though if it's a true butcher block, the end grain is on the top and bottom of the board, not at its ends, so order of cut isn't as much of a factor).

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:22 pm »
Thanks everyone for the information and helpful tips. I did not know about doing the end grain first. The butcher block was manufactured for a counter top so the end grain is at the ends but I will be routing that as well.