Narrow plinth, extends to the edge of the speaker

Rest of the System:
W4S Dac 2
Rotel 1562 Amp
Denon BDP1611
Rotel Power Conditioner
Anti-cable speaker wire
Emotiva ICs

I'm not an audiophile by any means but I will string together some thoughts on these speakers.

They sound pretty good, my room isn't optimal for a nice set of speakers, but there isn't anything that I can do about placement.  The highs are very clear.  There is detail that I have only heard with high end headphones, this is a huge compliment.  The bass is surprising considering the placement.  This is good because I am having problems with my F113 and have to send it out.  I think that after I get it back I am going to sell it, the speakers have enough bass for music, not enough for movies but I am OK with that. 
When ordering the speakers I asked for the full front baffle, the speakers came with a half baffle (idk the proper terms).  I am glad for the mix up, I think the speakers would have been too plain with the full front baffle, I prefer the half, adds some shape to the speaker. 
The finish is excellent considering there wasn't an extra cost for the amount of gloss applied versus the piano finish. 
I was a bit surprised that the binding posts did not have a hole in the post to push in speaker wire.  With bare wire you have to wrap it around the post.  This is a bit of a hassle for someone running solid core wire, bending the end is a pain, but possible.  No big deal.
My amp is 200w @ 4ohms Class D, and plays pretty loud, so I think I am OK with power for now.  If I ever upgrade the amp I will probably go with a W4S amp.  I don't notice any of the disadvantages with Class D amps that people mention with these speakers. 
Jim was excellent to work with, every time I called he picked up the phone, very helpful.  This should not be undervalued, I have bought quite a few pieces this year and it is a pain when the company has terrible support.

All in all, excellent speakers with great customer service.  I am very happy, I "think" these will stay in my system for a long time, if not I would upgrade to another Salk model.  Thanks to everyone on the forum for their information, helped make my decision easier.

jackman

Re: MY HT2-TL
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:50 pm »
Congrats on the new speakers.  I can't tell much about your room because it's hard to see in the pictures.  The speakers look great, but that's no surprise because Jim is a true artist. 

Good luck with the sale of the sub.  Where are you located (which part of the country)?

Thanks,
Jack

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2011, 02:21 am »
Beautiful speakers. Love the gloss black! Maybe I can get gloss black for my HT2TLs :scratch:

WntrMute2

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm »
I too was a little "baffled" by the lack of through holes in the binding posts.  I kept poking around back there figuring I just couldnt see them.  I ended up using these from ViaBlue.  RAM Industries carries them.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2011, 01:43 pm »
Congratulations!!

There is something about that black that I really like...I have a set of black Songtowers and they match my 'dark' decor in my media room....they look really nice and just blend into the background in a darkened room listening to music.

All the best on your HT2's!!

...and welcome to the Salk famliy!!

Alex

:D :D :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2011, 02:09 pm »

UltraDrew

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2011, 03:26 pm »
I love looking at all of the different finishes on here.  Yours look fantastic, I like the all black and how you had those nameplates done.  ...makes them look "stealthy". 

For the binding posts, I didn't quite like wrapping the wire around the posts either (Ha! Not 100% sure why.).  So I use these spades from GLS audio:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=spade

They're inexpensive and provide a very solid connection.  Enjoy those speakers!

Drew

Tom Alverson

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2011, 01:01 am »
I love looking at all of the different finishes on here.  Yours look fantastic, I like the all black and how you had those nameplates done.  ...makes them look "stealthy". 

For the binding posts, I didn't quite like wrapping the wire around the posts either (Ha! Not 100% sure why.).  So I use these spades from GLS audio:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=spade

They're inexpensive and provide a very solid connection.  Enjoy those speakers!

Drew

I like these if the speakers have a standard spacing between the terminals:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=32-076-1&Category_Code=

Tom

advanced101

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2011, 12:08 pm »
  Where are you located (which part of the country)?

Houston area

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:24 pm »
Houston area

Thanks!  I'd love to hear these but that's too far.  Good luck with the sytem.  Jim's speakers are as beautiful looking as any I've ever seen.  I like the looks of the ones in the picture.

dakulis

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm »
Advanced,

Grats on the new speakers.  Love the black.  I'm running the W4S STI-500 and with about 560 wpc with these speakers there's more than enough power.  Going from about 120 wpc to this amp really opened up the speakers and provided a whole new depth for music.  I use mine in a 2 channel system only in a smaller room so they provide incredible sound.  I can't imagine that you'll ever need more but if I ever win the lottery, I'll probably look at the Soundscape 12s.

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:39 pm »
Congrats on your new beauties, and welcome to the Salk family!  Nice choice in extra goodies, by the way.