Which Salk Model Is A Step Up From...

Aces High

Which Salk Model Is A Step Up From...
« on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:47 pm »
I've been contemplating trying out some speakers with ribbon tweeters form some time now. Last summer I had a chance to hear some Monitor Audio GX 100's and really liked the sound of the ribbons. My current main speakers are the Dynaudio Contour S5.4's and they sound fantastic. Which Salk model should I be looking at to make a leap forward in performance? The H2TL's or the SS8's? Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

audio1246

Re: Which Salk Model Is A Step Up From...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:29 pm »
I've been contemplating trying out some speakers with ribbon tweeters form some time now. Last summer I had a chance to hear some Monitor Audio GX 100's and really liked the sound of the ribbons. My current main speakers are the Dynaudio Contour S5.4's and they sound fantastic. Which Salk model should I be looking at to make a leap forward in performance? The H2TL's or the SS8's? Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I believe any one of them would make an excellent choice. I am in the same thought process and need to make up my mind on a particular Salk line yet.

Here are the things to consider IMHO not in any particular order:

1. Listening type
2. Subwoofers
3. Budget
4. Upgrade?

If you want an extremely capable speaker that can double up for HT and music and can go as low as a sub and have open/airy highs and with great/clear mids and with an overall sound that is as real as it can get and the budget is not an issue, then go for the SS8s. The HT2-TLs are no slouch either. Just that they are not as capable as the SS8s.

Hope this helps.

Aces High

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:27 pm »
I believe any one of them would make an excellent choice. I am in the same thought process and need to make up my mind on a particular Salk line yet.

Here are the things to consider IMHO not in any particular order:

1. Listening type
2. Subwoofers
3. Budget
4. Upgrade?

If you want an extremely capable speaker that can double up for HT and music and can go as low as a sub and have open/airy highs and with great/clear mids and with an overall sound that is as real as it can get and the budget is not an issue, then go for the SS8s. The HT2-TLs are no slouch either. Just that they are not as capable as the SS8s.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. :D

My Dyn's aren't starting to roll off until 25hz in my room, ( I've got a lot of room gain down low ) so yes I would like something is at least equal to the response I'm getting now. This is not a dedicated two channel system so I'd have to replace my center channel as well, which is the Dyn Contour SCX. From the looks of things and from what I've read the matching center for the HT2-TL's is going to perform similarly to the center I've already got, that's something that's making me lean towards the Soundscape series.

Budget isn't really a concern, I can afford either one, just depends on what day you catch me whether I really feel like spending anymore money on this system. The sale of the Dyn's would pretty much cover the cost of the Veracity series speakers.

Listening levels fall into the -10/-20 from reference level (85-95db peaks ) when watching movies. Music for the most part is a bit lower but at least once a week I enjoy cranking things up to spirited levels. Subwoofers are a pair of Seaton SubM HP's.

At this point in time I'm kind of thinking the Veracity series would be somewhat of a lateral move and not offer the clear cut upgrade I'm looking for. Having never heard any Salks before I'm obviously just guessing at this point, the Dyn's are a very good speaker in their own right so it's going to take a great speaker to make a clear improvement. I have thought of moving up to the Dynaudio Confidence series, having trouble convincing myself I want or need to invest that much more money in my system. The overall investment in the Salk's is much easier to stomach, just wondering if the performance is going to be up to par.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:17 pm »

The Dynaudio Contour S5.4's are what, like $10,000 new retail?  If it were me I'd be comparing them to the SoundScape 8.  Great speaker, by the way (well, both of them are :)).

Aces High

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2013, 11:53 pm »
The Dynaudio Contour S5.4's are what, like $10,000 new retail?  If it were me I'd be comparing them to the SoundScape 8.  Great speaker, by the way (well, both of them are :)).

I'm starting to lean that way if I do end up making a change, still debating whether I want to invest more money into this system or not. If I were to move up the Dyn lineup it'd be C4's or bust. Could the SS8's possibly be in the same realm as the C4's?

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2013, 12:32 am »
Well, I heard the C4 before and was impressed. it is one of those speakers to die for but since I got my SS8, I am very happy and never think twice about changing out speaker. You have a geat taste and high expectation, I would recommend you to take a trip to Jim shop. Maybe, Jim could save you big money.

audio1246

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2013, 03:45 am »
Thanks for the input. :D

My Dyn's aren't starting to roll off until 25hz in my room, ( I've got a lot of room gain down low ) so yes I would like something is at least equal to the response I'm getting now. This is not a dedicated two channel system so I'd have to replace my center channel as well, which is the Dyn Contour SCX. From the looks of things and from what I've read the matching center for the HT2-TL's is going to perform similarly to the center I've already got, that's something that's making me lean towards the Soundscape series.

Budget isn't really a concern, I can afford either one, just depends on what day you catch me whether I really feel like spending anymore money on this system. The sale of the Dyn's would pretty much cover the cost of the Veracity series speakers.

Listening levels fall into the -10/-20 from reference level (85-95db peaks ) when watching movies. Music for the most part is a bit lower but at least once a week I enjoy cranking things up to spirited levels. Subwoofers are a pair of Seaton SubM HP's.

At this point in time I'm kind of thinking the Veracity series would be somewhat of a lateral move and not offer the clear cut upgrade I'm looking for. Having never heard any Salks before I'm obviously just guessing at this point, the Dyn's are a very good speaker in their own right so it's going to take a great speaker to make a clear improvement. I have thought of moving up to the Dynaudio Confidence series, having trouble convincing myself I want or need to invest that much more money in my system. The overall investment in the Salk's is much easier to stomach, just wondering if the performance is going to be up to par.

From what you describe, IMHO you would be better off with the SS8s. Having personally heard the HT2-TLs and the SS8s in a side by side comparison, I can only praise both those speakers (or the Salks in general).

I agree with the other suggestion about making a trip to the shop and experiencing it first hand.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:45 am »
I'm starting to lean that way if I do end up making a change, still debating whether I want to invest more money into this system or not. If I were to move up the Dyn lineup it'd be C4's or bust. Could the SS8's possibly be in the same realm as the C4's?

The C4 II's that I heard were real sweet, but the Salk room with SS8's sounded better at RMAF 2012.  I'd pee myself with excitement if I owned either one of those speakers, though. It's time for a road trip to visit Jim. ;)

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2013, 03:09 pm »
I also recommend the SoundScape 8.  You need to hear the SoundScapes.  Jim has sold enough that there may be someone who lives near you that has them.  Call Jim to find out if it is possible.  Any SoundScape would probably do to hear the house sound and make a decision on any other SoundScape model.  Of course a trip to Jim’s might be even more fun.

Bob