1801's bound for Oregon GTG

Nuance

Re: 1801's bound for Oregon GTG
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:24 pm »
Wow, those are sexy speakers!  You better take good care of them, RJ. :D

I think I've already chosen the best appearance award, and the event hasn't even started yet.  :lol:

Mudslide

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2010, 09:58 pm »
Wow, those are sexy speakers!  You better take good care of them, RJ. :D

You betcha I will.  My wife is going to wonder if I left her for another.... :lol:

mchuckp

« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:46 am »
Be it one of the speakers at the GTG or something else (HT2-TL cough cough), I have a bad feeling I'm going to leave the GTG wanting some new speakers to try out.

I better start selling blood, sperm, and maybe even body parts.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:00 am »
Hi   Looking forward to seeing you there.  Off-topic question.  I'm getting these green highlighted markers on key words in posts that take you to "Sushi" when you click on them.  Wussup wit dat?   Is that at my end, or is everyone getting the same deal?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:11 am »
Hi Dennis   :wave:  Not seeing any of that here. Not sure what would be the cause ? Might mention it to JohnR though as it definetly sounds 'spammer-esque'. Sorry I won't get to meet you this year. A continuing saga from last year when I couldn't make it down with the "Kent Songtowers", and meet Jim and Mary. If Mud, BelowAvgJoe, and MajorLoser will allow I'd hope to make it next year. Maybe you'll enjoy the visit enough to come back and see more of the great Northwest.

Hi RJ   :wave:  I'd have been in touch with you guys, but the previously noted situation is on-going. Will keep my fingers crossed for next year. Have a fantastic time, and we'll hope for nice weather.

JD

mchuckp

« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:39 am »
Hmmm.... thinking Dennis needs to cool it on the wacky weed.  :o

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:05 am »
Hmmm.... thinking Dennis needs to cool it on the wacky weed.  :o

That post was not particularly appreciated. 

Mudslide

« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
Hi Dennis   :wave:  Not seeing any of that here. Not sure what would be the cause ? Might mention it to JohnR though as it definetly sounds 'spammer-esque'. Sorry I won't get to meet you this year. A continuing saga from last year when I couldn't make it down with the "Kent Songtowers", and meet Jim and Mary. If Mud, BelowAvgJoe, and MajorLoser will allow I'd hope to make it next year. Maybe you'll enjoy the visit enough to come back and see more of the great Northwest.

Hi RJ   :wave:  I'd have been in touch with you guys, but the previously noted situation is on-going. Will keep my fingers crossed for next year. Have a fantastic time, and we'll hope for nice weather.

JD

:wave: 

JD, it's so good to hear from you.  But I worry that you're still fighting issues up there.  Hopefully you're doing well and staying the course.  We'll miss you again.  I think you're going to be missing out on hearing some of the best stand-mount speakers on the planet.

The weather here has been strange this year in the NW...yes?!  Very cool and very dry.  Jim and Mary brought the best weather of the season with them, last year.  We'll see if Dennis can do the same.   :thumb:

Take care.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:53 pm »
Jim would you comment on these compared to the Bagby Continuums as far as sound quality, imaging etc the usual stuff?

Thanks
Alex

jsalk

« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:29 am »
Jim would you comment on these compared to the Bagby Continuums as far as sound quality, imaging etc the usual stuff?

Thanks
Alex

In a way, that is like comparing apples to oranges. 

The Continuums are a very good design with good drivers and a well-executed crossover.  It is a small sealed bookshelf speaker.  As such, it does not play all that deep.

The 1801's are a larger stand-mounted speaker with the incomparable 7" Seas Excel W18 in a ported cabinet.  So the 1801's will play quite a bit deeper and the midrange will tend to be more detailed.  Couple that with the Hiquphon OW1, one of the finest 3/4" silk dome tweeters being made today, and you have an extremely accurate, detailed and refined speaker.

The Continuum is a very fine speaker.  No doubt about that.  But the drivers in the 1801 are twice as expensive and that puts the 1801's in a different league.

Both speakers image very well.

- Jim

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:14 pm »
Thanks Jim,

That was what I wanted to know...

Alex

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #31 on: 19 Sep 2010, 12:15 am »
Just a quick word from Oregon--We're wrapping up the Great NW event.  Lots of Internet speakers to judge blind and sighted--totally embarassing for yours truly, but I won't go into that now.  Thanks to RJ and Joe for incredible efforts and a great, educational day.  Now it's back to the grind in Wash. D.C. (for another 2 weeks, and then I'm totally retired.  Outta there.)   

Mudslide

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2010, 10:39 pm »
Just a quick word from Oregon--We're wrapping up the Great NW event.  Lots of Internet speakers to judge blind and sighted--totally embarassing for yours truly, but I won't go into that now.  Thanks to RJ and Joe for incredible efforts and a great, educational day.  Now it's back to the grind in Wash. D.C. (for another 2 weeks, and then I'm totally retired.  Outta there.)

Heh...there could be some blackmailing to do in my future.   :lol:

We had a GREAT time at the GTG.  The sponsors and participants were all superb.  Joe and I are humbled with appreciation. 

I think Jim will enjoy the summary reports!  And the event would have been much poorer without Dennis, his inspiration, and his fine measurement and switching gear.  We'll post some more when we get a bit fresher and get the reports and photos organized.

Proof that Dennis was enjoying himself and did not fall asleep during auditioning ('twas a LONG weekend for him)....Now I'm headed off to Brazil with a few of these speakers...........  :eyebrows:

Saturn94

« Reply #33 on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:01 pm »
Heh...there could be some blackmailing to do in my future.   :lol:

We had a GREAT time at the GTG.  The sponsors and participants were all superb.  Joe and I are humbled with appreciation. 

I think Jim will enjoy the summary reports!  And the event would have been much poorer without Dennis, his inspiration, and his fine measurement and switching gear.  We'll post some more when we get a bit fresher and get the reports and photos organized.

Proof that Dennis was enjoying himself and did not fall asleep during auditioning ('twas a LONG weekend for him)....Now I'm headed off to Brazil with a few of these speakers...........  :eyebrows:

I look forward to reading about it. :)

markie

« Reply #34 on: 23 Sep 2010, 05:27 pm »
I've been waiting for more goodies on the Oregon GTG reporting front but ...  where are the juicy details?!  How did the Ellis 1801 sound compared to the others? And so on, and so on. Thanks in advance! Hopefully, not too far in advance.  :lol: 

mchuckp

« Reply #35 on: 23 Sep 2010, 06:45 pm »
Sorry to everyone for taking so long to post some impressions of the GTG.  Just been busy this week.  I'll put some thoughts out later tonight.  It was a VERY interesting day for me.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #36 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:01 pm »
I've been waiting for more goodies on the Oregon GTG reporting front but ...  where are the juicy details?!  How did the Ellis 1801 sound compared to the others? And so on, and so on. Thanks in advance! Hopefully, not too far in advance.  :lol:

Mudslide is probably still trying to read my writing.  There was no point scoring system or a summary ranking--just subjective impressions in several categories (resolution, bass accuracy, dynamics, etc).  I did walk away with some sense of the crowd reaction, and all I can say is that what I think were the most preferred speakers also had the flattest measurements.  But most of them sounded quite similar.  There were certainly no bow wows. 

Mike B.

« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:14 pm »
I know the guy seated front right. He is a well respected speaker designer. So look forward to the comments on the gathering

Mudslide

« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:59 pm »
Hey all. 

Be patient just a tad longer.  I'm still catching up from the long weekend.   :oops:  It finally stopped raining long enough yesterday to get our first photographs of the speakers.  I should have the summary reports published by this weekend. 

From what I've seen of the reports thus far, Dennis is right on the money.   :D

Many thanks to Mike and others who will be posting their thoughts.  (You all will...won't you?!)

jsalk

« Reply #39 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:12 pm »
Just a quick note to let everyone know that these speakers are available for sale.  They are currently in Lincoln City, OR.  So anyone in the area could get a great deal on them in addition to saving shipping costs.

A standard pair of 1801's is $1999.  The cinnamon burl veneer runs about $350 and we would throw that in for free.  So, for $1999, you would be saving about $425 total on this pair if you picked them up.

If anyone outside of the Oregon area were interested, the $1999 price would still apply and we could have them shipped directly from OR to you.  So you would still save the cost of the premium veneer.

Just thought someone might be interested...

- Jim