Warpspeed Optocoupler

Warpspeed CE

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #300 on: 28 Jan 2012, 06:12 pm »
Thank you Dave, for your kind words and compliments! I'm glad that you and especially the Boss like it...guys like you who take the leap help me in developing new models in the lineup otherwise they remain TBD:) I hope you will have late nights enjoying it for a long time.

jk@home, the way you planned your layout I don't see any issues with heat...

djbnh

« Reply #301 on: 28 Jan 2012, 06:44 pm »
FYI - today I used an old cigar box as a case for the Optocoupler's 12V battery, works quite nicely. (Safety first - will remember to open the box lid when I charge the battery.) Just need to get a second box for the second battery, plenty of time for that.

My daughter came in for the weekend and started tapping her toes as soon as I started spinning some tunes; she's enjoying the most recent system upgrade, too.  :green:
edit: added photo
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm by djbnh »

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #302 on: 5 Feb 2012, 02:19 am »
Home sweet home for that V4x3...

On the design front:

A lot of queries have been made about Left-Right channel balance control for the Warpspeed –from potential buyers, I might add, but so far none yet from current owners. Due to the virtually infinite number of steps in the log-antilog response curves of the LDRs, a balance control might come in handy especially on higher/lower-gain/efficiency systems. Here the LDRs will be at work at the extremes of their response curves where they are not as well matched.

After some brain cells wrangling and wringing I came up with a +/-4dB L-R balance control which I’ll name the transWarp or xW for short. There are 2 versions -a standard one-knob control (xW1) which features a 10-turn precision potentiometer that will simultaneously increase (-) and decrease(+) attenuation up to a maximum of 4dB on both L/R channels. This is a min-max difference of 8dB. For the pro-spirited, the control freaks, or both –a two-knob control (xW 2) features dual 10-turn precision pots to independently control Left or Right channel. It is still a +/- 4dB of play for each channel with the choice on which to either increase or decrease in attenuation. Each channel also gets a min-max difference of 8dB. On a xW 2 I usually go for the weaker channel and decrease the attenuation. For the xW 1 it will have an overall quicker knob response due to its channel-to-channel simultaneous adjustment. Both designs’ icing on the cake is their guaranteed tiny, continuous incremental level increase/decrease –for a half-scale turn, how about <0.02dB?! Now if imbalance is more than what the xW can compensate for, then either I did a really lousy LDR matching job or something is faulty. The balance control circuitry is very quiet, being in the LED domain and is autonomous of the signal circuitry.

The balance knobs are anodized machined aluminum, precision scale dials that are calibrated 1/100 of a full turn and for each of the 10 full turns. These controls are independent of the main volume control. Adjustment was easy enough that I was able to balance by ear to <1dB. I deliberately built a V4x2 with LDRs that are fairly matched to present some imbalance. You can hear it snap into place between the speakers especially lead vocal driven music…Eva Cassidy and John Hammond have been spinning heavily.

The xW options are now available on all new units or as an upgrade to existing ones.

xW2

djbnh

« Reply #303 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:14 am »
Home sweet home for that V4x3...
Yes it is. Happy wife, happy life.

morganc

« Reply #304 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:29 am »
Any chance there is a remote option coming out anytime soon?

Early B.

« Reply #305 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:45 am »
Any chance there is a remote option coming out anytime soon?

Read post #269.

morganc

« Reply #306 on: 5 Feb 2012, 04:05 am »
Ouch.....$700 for remote :scratch:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #307 on: 5 Feb 2012, 07:03 am »
for those wanting a remote ldr passive preamp, but still want to to keep it cheep and cheerful, (this is the cheap & cheerful circle, after all), i recommend considering the diyparadise eva-2, which can be had for ~$400 shipped - remote included.  it does not have the small steps in wolume control that the warpspeed has, and is is not battery operated.  and while i have never heard a warpspeed, so cannot compare the two, i can unequivocally state that the eva-2 is an incredibly transparent piece - i do heartily recommend ldr attenuators...

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=113

ymmv,

doug s.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #308 on: 5 Feb 2012, 11:58 pm »
Good for you, Dave...and Go Pats! Btw although you didn't ask, I just realized the V4x3 cannot be a candidate for the xW option due to switching limitations :duh:.

Morganc, it is the sad reality for the RC option at this time. Unless somebody takes the leap it might not see the light of day. Although I have all the electronics and the all-aluminum RC handset ready, I myself have not plunked the $450 for the motorized pot (P3 America)...my CFO is a very tough customer indeed!

raysracing

« Reply #309 on: 8 Feb 2012, 03:14 am »
I sent an email and havent heard back yet, but i am thinking this will be my "dream Cheerful system" below once I hear the price. I want a system that sounds amazing at low to moderate volume levels on a serious budget.

* means I own these.

Warpseed Optocoupler V4 (3 inputs?)
Grant Tube Buffer * (coming end of the week)
Sony N220 amplifier * (to be replaced by a Digital type amp)
Cambridge DacMagic *
Boston Acoustic A70 speakers * (to be replaced by Tekton M-Lore speakers)
Sony DVD player* or PS3 for SACD *
Denon DP62L TT *
Ortofon OM2 Red Cart. *
Phono pre tbd-any $100 giant killers?

I am currently using my trusty old Proton D540 integrated amp as a pre.

I also have a huge iTunes collection and Spotify playlists I'd like to play through the Warpspeed system.

Dreaming, dreaming!!

Ray

Rclark

« Reply #310 on: 8 Feb 2012, 06:28 am »
I pm'd ya back Ray, I know you're gonna be thrilled because that has been the only response to ownership. No dislike, and nothing in between, everyone just loves theirs.

emailtim

« Reply #311 on: 8 Feb 2012, 08:29 pm »
... I know you're gonna be thrilled because that has been the only response to ownership. No dislike, and nothing in between, everyone just loves theirs.

Has anybody replaced their Mark Levinson Preamp with a Warpspeed Volume Control?  I have a Mark Levinson #380S and would to know if I should expect an improvement in my system by replacing it with a WPVC.

I have a Mark Levinson #390S CDP, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 and a Well Tempered Reference Turn Table going into actively horizontally biamped Mangepan 20.1 system (no tubes in the system).

Thanks for your help.

mhconley

« Reply #312 on: 9 Feb 2012, 02:10 pm »

Warpspeed CE: I created this as a PM but your inbox is full...

I am very interested in building a remote controlled, balanced Warpspeed Optocoupler but cannot justify $700 for a DIY project.  I see you state that of the $700 figure "65% is motor pot price" & "21% circuitry/RC" for a total of $602.

Would one of these work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350267364986
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250467804650

This same seller also has the remote control circuitry:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260949343657

We're talking <$150 which is more in my "Cheap & Cheerful" ballpark.

I've been toying with the idea of building a passive simply using one of the above but thought these combined with the WarpSpeed Optocoupler may be a better option.  Let me know...

Martin

ken

« Reply #313 on: 9 Feb 2012, 07:04 pm »
I'm curios to see if the Warpspeed bests the mighty Pioneer VSX D-912 as a pre, although mine isn't as tricked out as some others with a detachable power cord, shorted inputs etc...

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #314 on: 10 Feb 2012, 02:20 am »
Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to research. I have also...and I have looked at Alps, TKD, Bourns, and the other usual suspects. None have the value, precision, and specs that I require to replace the Vishay/Spectrol manual pot that I currently use. I do not want to change the design to adjust the value and compromise on the electrical performance. I'm sorry I do not want to go into the details.

These 2 are what I narrowed down to with P3 lower in price... http://www.p3america.com/ and http://www.onlinecontrols.com/mpots.htm . So if anyone reading this have an insider please let me know and hopefully we can get a better deal.

edited link error: djbnh, thanks for pointing that out.

ken, an A/V receiver?   
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2012, 02:22 pm by Warpspeed CE »

raysracing

« Reply #315 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:53 pm »
I should have one  (DIY Version) in about two weeks. I have bags and bags of cheap cables. Keeping everything cheap and cheerful, what are the basic level of cables and lengths I should use to insure I am not throwing away large chunks of what the Warpspeed (WS) offers?

I wonder as my turntable has a really long stock cords on it if i should start there and cut them to just long enough to reach a phono pre? Easily 2' I could lop off (Denon DP-62L with MM, but could be a MC someday). Next cable is from pre to WS then WS to Grant tube buffer then to amp. I am hoping the right answer is cords dont matter (except maybe the one from the TT to the pre.)

Thanks,
Ray

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #316 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:16 pm »
Hi Warpspeed:

I tried to PM you but your box is full.

I am very interested in trying your product.  Could you PM me the price of the model that you made for djbnh and what would the "kit" form of this model cost?

Thanks,

Randy

maxwalrath

« Reply #317 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:20 pm »
I can wrap my head around the pros of having multiple inputs for multiple sources...what are people using multiple outputs and bypasses for? Also, what does "paralleled" output mean?

mhconley

« Reply #318 on: 10 Feb 2012, 09:18 pm »
These 2 are what I narrowed down to with P3 lower in price... http://www.p3america.com/ and http://www.onlinecontrols.com/mpots.htm . So if anyone reading this have an insider please let me know and hopefully we can get a better deal.

No contacts here...

So what is the total cost of a DIY kit, both with and without remote control, i.e. one price with the standard Vishay/Spectrol pot and one with the P3 America pot and RC circuitry.  A PM response is fine...

Thanks,

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #319 on: 11 Feb 2012, 12:43 am »
Allan, Mr. Warpspeed, emailed me several weeks back that he's not selling the DIY kit any longer.  I was going to try one myself.  :(