Do any tablets have digital output, other than iPad?

Stu Pitt

I set up a home gym of sorts in my basement. I snatched up some used M-Audio BX8s for a great price. I’m going to add a cheap preamp for remote control, and I’m looking for a large tablet to stream Netflix, cable, etc.

Are there any tablets other than the iPad that has a digital output? I don’t want to spend iPad money on this. I saw an Amazon Fire HD tablet that seems to fit the size and price criteria pretty well, but I don’t want to go with headphone outputs. I’ve searched google but keep coming up with nothing. Is the iPad really the only tablet that’ll do digital output (with the camera connector kit).

WGH

Re: Do any tablets have digital output, other than iPad?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2019, 12:39 am »

I’m looking for a large tablet to stream Netflix

A couple of options:

Large tablet + Google Chromecast Audio, the simplified version of the Chromecast below.

Audioengine has some Wireless Adapters if you can get USB audio out.

From the 'Not a Tablet' department:

The Pixel 3 will output digital using Wi-Fi and a Google Chromecast plugged into the TV's HDMI input. You can then use one of the TV's audio outs into the preamp.
The Pixel 3a may do this too.

How to Connect Pixel 3 to TV
https://www.technipages.com/google-pixel-connect-to-tv

Chromecast will also output audio but then you have to figure out how to get HDMI into the preamp.

I have a Pixel 3 and it is a very nice smartphone. The Pixel 3 uses Wi-Fi whenever possible to keep data cost down, my bill last month was $20.00. When no Wi-Fi is available it automatically uses either T-Mobile, Sprint or US Cellular depending on your location, it doesn't use (or have) a SIM card when using the Google Fi network, although there is a slot if you need one.

After all that it would be easier to get a Wi-Fi Smart TV which is probably cheaper than a tablet.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2019, 02:09 am »
I’m looking for a large tablet to stream Netflix, cable, etc.

Missed this part in n my response.  Samsung makes 10.5" tablets at various ranges in their product line.  There's the Tab A (low end), Tab s5e (middle), and Tab s6 (hi end, not yet out.)  You can also still buy new, older ,models like the Tab S4, S3....

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2019, 02:55 pm »
I added a tp link ha100 Bluetooth audio adapter to my family room stereo a while ago.
Can connect to it from any phone or tablet or pc with Bluetooth, and then stream audio to it.
Sounds pretty good for what cost and what it is.
I think you'll find it to work fine for Netflix and background music.

I also have a earstudio es100 portable Bluetooth adapter.
I use this to watch Netflix on my old MacBook, it sounds better than the MacBook audio out.
You could just leave it plugged into a usb adapter for a permanent solution.
The es100 costs more, but also sounds pretty good.  I'm using ldac Bluetooth.

Then you can just get a Amazon fire tablet and you'd be good to go.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2019, 06:18 pm »
I’m just trying to keep this as simple as possible. And relatively cheap as possible. The sound from my iPhone and daughter’s iPad headphone outputs isn’t good. The camera connection kit from either idevice to my old Theta Cobalt dac (with usb-coax converter) or my iStreamer is very good. Problem is my iPhone’s screen is too small, and my daughter uses the iPad too often when I want to :)

Bluetooth is a great idea. As is usb on the go. I’ll have to look into those more closely.

Coincidentally, I was in Target and saw a TV for $80. It had an optical output. I may go that route instead, as I’ve got a Roku Express sitting around collecting dust. The bulk of my workouts are a rowing machine. I’m rehabbing a mid-spine disc injury, and the monotony is killing me. Having a TV/tablet playing streaming some video makes time go by far quicker. I also hit a punching bag often, so if I go the TV route, I’ll just connect my iPhone for music.

I guess I just talked myself into the TV. Cheaper, bigger screen, simpler. All around win.

Thanks for all the help.