10 Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 Orange Globe Dimple Getter - SOLD

baileyler

10 Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 Orange Globe Dimple Getter 1969 Vacuum Tubes - SOLD

Offered on behalf of a third party is a very nice group of 10 Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 vaccum tubes. 

Due to some sales and additions, I have reworked this ad from an earlier version.

While I have these priced as a group of 10, I am open to splitting them up for the right offer.  I am also open to trade offers.

All 10 tubes have an identical internal construction with a round dimple getter, and have etched date codes from mid 1969. Almost all of the tubes have an etched date code of "right triangle"9H3 and a printed date code of either 69-47 or 69-52, other than one that is "right triangle"9I4 and 70-02 (Tube #7).  Printing is very good on most of the tubes.

This dimple-getter globe logo flavor of 6DJ8 appears to be very highly regarded.  For example, the (in)famous "Joe's Tube Lore" posting on Audio Asylum rates these higher than "Bugle Boys" and just below the revered Amperex 6922 pinched waist.

Too many people play the "NOS" game, and I will never call something NOS unless (1) I have the original box (or I know for a fact that tubes were pulled from a bulk pack), (2) the tubes actually look unused as evidenced by the printing and pins (or there is a legitimate excuse for their appearance, such as the tube was stored under damp conditions), and (3) the tubes actually test like new.  In the real world, that eliminates the vast (vast) majority of vintage tubes out there from NOS classification.

These 6DJ8s are not NOS for reasons (1) and (2) above (and in a few cases (3) as well) but, as you will clearly see from the photo and results below, they have seen at most little actual use.   

In view of the asking price, I have gone to the extra effort of double testing these tubes on a Weston 981 III and Kaye Small Signal Tube Checker (recently back from a checkup by George Kaye).

On the Weston 981 III, min (65%) value is 1350, making about 2075 "theoretical" 100% (Gm = 6X meter).  The results are as follows (rounded off to the nearest 50):

Tube #1      2200/2200

Tube #2      2200/2050

Tube #3      2050/2300

Tube #4      2000/2300

Tube #5      1750/1850

Tube #6      1950/2000

Tube #7      2000/1950

Tube #8      2150/2200

Tube #9      2200/2450    

Tube #10    2200/2550

Although I have never had many verifiable NOS 6DJ8s, a new 6DJ8 tests seems to typically (on average) test in the area of 2100-2300 on this Weston 981 III.

As indicated above, I went to the added step of testing these on a Kaye Small Signal Tube Checker.  For those not familiar with the Kaye Small Signal Tube Checker, this device was sold some time back by Kaye Audio, and provides an INDICATION (see my TERMS AND CONDITIONS below) of noise, microphonics, gain and distortion.  I do not use this piece of equipment very often, but it does provide what I believe to be useful information.  Just as a note, it appears that Triode #1 on the Kaye corresponds to Triode #2 on the Weston/Hickok, and vice versa.

The noise and microphonics tests are totally subjective as they involve actually listening (the unit has a built in speaker as well as a headphone jack), and I do not have a lot of experience judging, but here is my view.  Scale is 0-5, with 0 being worst and 5 being best (noise/microphonics):

Noise      Microphonics

Tube #1       5/5      5/4

Tube #2       5/5      4/5

Tube #3       5/4      4/4

Tube #4       5/5      5/5

Tube #5       4/4      5/5

Tube #6       5/4      5/5

Tube #7       4/4      4/4

Tube #8       5/2      4/3

Tube #9       2/4      1/4

Tube #10     3/3      3/4

Other than Tubes #8-10, all these tubes appear to be low noise and low in microphonics.  Tubes #8-10 are somewhat more noisy or microphonic than the others, but also test among the highest for Gm (there is probably some relationship). 

The gain test is supposed to measure the gain of a tube in a class A circuit, cathode bypassed, with a -10 db 500 hz tone applied to the grid (please don't ask me what this signifies), and involves reading a meter (spec for 6DJ8 is 27db).  All tubes seemed balanced and gave about the same gain reading.  The results are as follows:

Tube #1     28.5/28

Tube #2     26.5/27.5

Tube #3     28/27

Tube #4     27.5/28

Tube #5     27.5/28

Tube #6     26.5/27

Tube #7     28/28

Tube #8     27.5/27

Tube #9     26.5/27

Tube #10    27/28

The output/distortion test is supposed to show the maximum output a tube can produce (measured in Volts, with spec being around 50) at 10% distortion.  I do not, however, know how this might translate to sound.  All tubes were right around the 50 V mark on all triodes (some may have been slightly higher or lower). 

In any event, this is definitely a nice group and, based on the tests results, you should easily be able to quad and/or pair up all of the tubes.

As indicated above, while the listing is for 10, and I would like to sell all 10 as a group, I might be willing to split the group for the right offer.

I can provide additional information or pictures upon request.

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Please note that these tubes are being sold 'AS IS', but I will guarantee against a material misdescription in the listing.  In such event, I will refund purchase price less shipping upon return of the tubes in the same condition as sent.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I CANNOT GUARANTEE (OR EVEN REMOTELY PREDICT) HOW THESE TUBES WILL SOUND OR PERFORM IN YOUR EQUIPMENT.  THE TEST RESULTS ARE ONLY PROVIDED AS AN INDICATION OF TUBE PERFORMANCE IN A VERY LIMITED (AND NON-IDEAL) ENVIRONMENT.  OTHER THAN AS SET FORTH ABOVE, I EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THESE TUBES OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THEM.

Money order/cashiers check/personal check preferred, but all (other than US Postal money orders) must clear my bank first.  I also accept Paypal for convenience (but add 3% to the total for USA, and 4% to the total everywhere else).

Trade value might be considered, particularly for vintage EL34/6CA7 and 6550 tubes.  In any event, feel free to propose something (tubes or audio equipment) and I will at least consider it and respond.

Shipping in the USA via US Postal Priority Mail is included.  If you are outside the USA, contact me for a shipping quote.

Please check my feedback on Audiogon, Videogon and Ebay (ID=baileyler) and buy with confidence.

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2010, 01:26 pm by baileyler »