MiniDSP Streamer

yardbird

MiniDSP Streamer
« on: 13 Jan 2021, 10:22 pm »
Anyone using the MiniDSP  SHD studio streamer? Not so cheap at $899 but has lots of features (namely Dirac), it uses Volumio which I am not familiar with. Interface looks cool, but am not sure if you have to pay a small monthly fee to use Tidal or Qobuz. That would be a deal breaker for me. No DAC but I would use an external dac anyway. I will likely stay with a Bluesound 2i for now, but a bit intrigued.
Jeff

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: MiniDSP Streamer
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2021, 12:41 pm »
The miniDSP SHD studio has a DAC.  Here's a positive review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-shd-review-updated-dsp-dac-streamer.18681/

As always Tidal or Qobuz are subscription services ($20/month) regardless of what device you access them with which I find very reasonable considering you're getting access to millions of albums that is completely portable and requires zero storage/handling on the user's part. 

Perhaps this product isn't the answer to your wants/needs.

Mike-48

Re: MiniDSP Streamer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2021, 07:27 pm »
Hi @yardbird and @JLM --

I have an SHD, the full one with DACs.

The SHD Studio does not have DACs. The plain (full) SHD has four channels of DAC, good for someone who want to use it for mains and subs, for example.

As you said, the music player built into both models is Volumio. I believe you do have to pay the fee for MyVolumio (Volumio's expanded offering) to use Qobuz through it, but only if you are using the Volumio interface. If you are using the DLNA/UPnP interface to Volumio, you can use BubbleUPnP on an Android device to send Qobuz to the SHD without paying anything more than the Qobuz subscription. That's what I do.

I suppose (but don't know for a fact) that there should be iOS apps that do the same thing. In short, any app that can send a Qobuz stream to a DLNA/UPnP renderer should be able to send Qobuz to the SHD.

The Qobuz desktop app I have (on Windows) also has a beta-test DLNA setting, but I've never gotten it to function. Apparently, it is a very low priority for Qobuz.