Solid State amp recomendatiom

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Solid State amp recomendatiom
« Reply #40 on: 9 Mar 2012, 06:20 pm »
I thought the WAF was a major thing.  I believe the Leben is the best choice.  It will answer the WAF situation and it will likely give you a tube amp that is at a higher level than the Chinese made Prima Luna.  Your speakers will run well on 5 w/ch and the Leben is 12 w/ch.  If you are going back to an open style tube amp, there are so many good choices like the new Decware 34I.3 or the Torii MK III (read the Tone Audio review).  The Canadian made Ideal Innovations Elite 80 20w/ch PP is a real match for Omegas and can be ordered in various configurations, including a solid wood full surround base.  If you are not committed to the Prima Luna, I would explore these other options.

Freo-1

« Reply #41 on: 9 Mar 2012, 06:21 pm »
Another vote for a FirstWatt amp (if you want to go with a separate amp and pre). With your Omegas, I'd look at the F2 or F2J. They have a fuller sound than the F1. These are also current source amps which gives you the wiggle room to adjust the sound of the bass and treble (see the 6moons reviews of the F1 and F2 for details). Note that since they are Class A, the FirstWatts will run hot.

Another vote for a First Watt amp.  I'm currently putting a M2 through its paces, and let state that this may be the most enjoyable amp I've ever heard.  The nice features about the M2:

1) Increases power to 40 wpc at 4 ohms
2) No feedback whatsoever
3) Uses a passive transformer gain stage

It's got all the virtues of tubes, but no drawbacks, and it's quiet (compared to tubes, that is).

sugbob21

« Reply #42 on: 16 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm »
H Canada Rob and all. WAF is a major factor. But there r other factors also. Was forced to sell off a bunch of equipment having to liquidate one system for financial reasons. only thing left are my Harbeth P3s which i am reluctant to sell. This leaves me with the Omegas and the Harbeths.  Prima Luna at 40 watts can handle both speakers.  Decware amps r great value but cant handle Harbeths .  dont know much about Ideal Innovations elite. at some point financially i cant keep both, will need to sell one pair of speakers.  Has been a tough decision. meantime i can switch back and forth and enjoy both.

sugbob21

« Reply #43 on: 19 Mar 2012, 01:48 pm »
additionally, rock or more complex music sound better on the Omegas while jazz and acoustic AOR sounds better on Harbeth. Omegas get too loud real quick , dont need to go past 9 oclock on the volume knob while Harbeth can adjust volume more gradually. Guess the Omegas dont need 40 watts. N ot in too much of a rush to sell one of these but switching back and forth is starting to be a pain . No room to keep both set up and wife thinks i am nuts. :slap:What to do....

roscoeiii

« Reply #44 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:51 pm »
Volume is a function of the speaker's sensitivity and the gain & input sensitivity of the amp, not wattage (though certainly that needs to be taken into account for other reasons related to clipping and distortion).

CaveShaper

« Reply #45 on: 25 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm »
I running a Virtue M451 with my Omega Super 5's ans the Deep Hemp Cube and it sounds crazy good. Had a friend today call me about the "fancy setup" he heard when at my house last. He was blown away when I gave him the specs and the price. I love the Virtue amps + Omega.

Thomas B

« Reply #46 on: 11 Jul 2012, 05:16 am »
I have an ATI AT1202 and an ATI ATP6700 audio processor driving my Omega Sticks....it's playing now and sounds absolutely great.  I highly recommend this brand of amp and processor.  I've been using this combination for over 3 years and I'm still thrilled with the sound.  Very dynamic sound and this amp never runs out of steam. Also, they are made in Los Angeles, CA if you are interested in an American made amp and/or processor.

HiFi Buck

« Reply #47 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:31 pm »
Dayen Ampino. 25X2 at 8ohms. Have heard nothing but GREAT things about this amp.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #48 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:50 pm »
Wow, old thread comes to life again. I have same speakers / sub as OP. Now moved to Red Wine Audio Sig 15 from original Sig 30.2 with LFP-V upgrade. Sig 15 sounds better in almost every way. 1/2 the price. Does include an internal tube, but transparent to wife. Life is good  8)

Jazzaudio

« Reply #49 on: 12 Aug 2014, 02:31 am »
Yes,  I'll bring this thread back from the dead!

I saw someone mention they liked SS amps with the new Outlaw speakers, and thought it would be best to add my recommendation to this thread instead of commenting on the Outlaw thread.  I have two recommendations: Dayens Ecstasy IIb integrated amplifier, and the Jolida JD1701BRC Hybrid integrated amp.  Yep...both are discontinued!  :(   The Dayens was purchased as a demo directly from the USA distributor, and changed my view of SS amplification.  I discovered it while searching for a higher powered amp for Hornshoppe speakers, and noticed a number of single driver speaker users were smitten with the smaller Dayens Ampino. 

The Jolida was a local purchase from someone who purchased it new from Music Direct 6 months earlier. It sounds incredibly beautiful, 3D, open, and full of tone with the Omega Super 3S. When combined with the Jolida JD100 CD player ( another long-term product recently discontinued) it's among the budget kingpins. Too bad modern Jolida products are considered low on the totem pole...their sound to cost ratio is off the charts with good speakers!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2014, 03:54 am »
Nice to see the sleeping beauty awoken.

I have found over the years playing lots of different Omega and the HB speakers, that one thing shines through as far as amps I paired them with whether Tube or SS, and that is low damping factor.  Gain clones, SETs, and SEPs fall into this category, but some PPs work well too.  If my AudioEngine N22 makes my Alnico Monitors sound good, then the likes of the 47 Lab Shigaraki or Gaincard, Audio Zone Amp STi or Amp One, or one of Clones Audio's amps would likely sound amazing.  Also look at Moot's journey here on the AudioCircle with his Alnico Monitors and Bottlehead Stereomour. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121461.0

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:33 pm »
I have the Dennis Had SEP which is a great match with my Omegas.  I also have a conrad-johnson Premier 11A - 70wpc push pull that isn't such a good match.

If I were to try solid state again, my current interest would be a First Watt SIT-2 (10 wpc, single ended/class A, no neg feedback).  Have to wait until Reno puts a demo up for sale or I find a used one.  Not up for $5000 to try one!

..........Peter

seikosha

« Reply #52 on: 13 Aug 2014, 12:40 am »
Interesting that the CJ doesn't sound well with the Omegas.  What are the weaknesses with the CJ/Omega combination?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #53 on: 13 Aug 2014, 02:06 am »
Interesting that the CJ doesn't sound well with the Omegas.  What are the weaknesses with the CJ/Omega combination?

It's been a while since I tried the combo and don't feel I can retrieve the details of my impression.  I will try it again at some point soon and will re-post.

I have a pair of restored AR2ax' that are an excellent match with the 11A though.  I do think the 11A is a superp amp.

.........Peter

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #54 on: 13 Aug 2014, 02:16 am »
Hey Now,

I just got a pair of Super 3Ss and have tried several amps with them, Dynaco ST-70, Maggie console pull w/ 6K6 tubes, and Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro mono-blocks with balanced inputs. I like the SM-70 the best, nice detailed smooth highs, enough low end grunt, zero feedback and pure Class A. It sounds good. I like it.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #55 on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:13 pm »
What about the TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II?  Haven't tried it personally but think it would be a great match with Omegas.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:29 pm »
Yeah, the TBI was pretty good, but I might look into the TI3116 amps that are popular right now too, more like $50 instead of $500 and probably pretty close...

None of the D amps will beat a good SET (yet) though.

seikosha

« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:56 pm »
I've played some TPA 3116 and 3110 amps on the Omegas.  I'd say it was an okay, not a great match.  The TPA's did seem to shine better on some lower efficiency speakers I tried them with.  I wonder if the damping factor on them was holding them back on the Omegas.  So far my favorite solid state amps on the Omegas have been a Brio R and a Musical Fidelity M3i.  That said, none of the above approach what I get with my little SET amp.

I do have that Audiogengine amp that I use on a TV setup in my bedroom.  On low efficiency speakers, the TPA's outclassed the Audioengine easily.  I haven't thrown the Audioengine in with any Omegas yet.  Maybe I'll try it.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a First Watt sometime in the next few months.  I'm thinking a F3 might be a good one to consider.  That's a combo I'd really like to hear with the Omegas.

xsb7244

« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:30 pm »
My opinion the Hugh Dean

NAKSA 125
NAKSA 200

Bemopti123

« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2014, 09:21 pm »
Any type of OpChip based amp, a la 47 Labs or even a knock off will sound quick with simple single drive full range speakers.  Some of the ones I have tried, the Scott Nixon Monos, also the Audiosector PATEK....SEs.  It will block the socks off of any single full range driver speakers.