Amp for Canton Ergo 100s

doggie

Amp for Canton Ergo 100s
« on: 7 Sep 2023, 01:56 pm »
Hi,

I was given a pair of Canton Ergo 100 speakers. These had good writeups in the early 90's and cost $3k then. They are in great shape and I want to set them up in a second system mainly for TV and occasionally music via Qobuz. The speakers are free but I need a good bang-for-the-buck integrated amplifier to drive them. Old review of speakers here: https://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/audio_03-1992_canton.html

The Cantons are rated at 93db so that is a plus for choosing the power of the amp. My feeling is that underpowering a speaker is a problem but having extra power on tap is a good thing. My current first choice is a Rotel A11 Mk2 Tribute with 50 watts per channel. Second choice is a Cambridge Audio AXA100 with 100 watts. I will probably use a Schiit Modi for a DAC. I do have an AIYIMA A200 coming today as a "cheap and cheerful" test. If the internal USB DAC sounds good it might be all that I need...

Any thoughts regarding power requirements of other issues? Other good options?

Thanks!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Amp for Canton Ergo 100s
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2023, 05:21 pm »
Look at Vista's latest. Right here on AC.

charles

doggie

Re: Amp for Canton Ergo 100s
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2023, 06:28 pm »
Look at Vista's latest. Right here on AC.

charles

Thanks Charles. If you mean the Spark, at 20 watts I am concerned that it might not have enough power. I was thinking 50+ watts to cover movie soundtracks with high dynamics.