Need some assistance/ looking for ideas for a lightweight camera

rif

• Not a cowboy
First off, let me say that I am asking for my father and I know little about modern cameras myself.

At this point in his life, weight is the constraining factor.  He just can't carry a bag full of a DSLR, lenses, batteries, etc...  and he couldnt really lift a camera body plus lens to take a shot.  Think 300-400mg.

Right now he uses an Olympus xz-1 and his iPhone 8 (or 8s or X, I can't recall).  He says the iPhone gets him 90% to where he'd like to be.  So why try to replace it?  Gadgets!  That's why.

He's looking at this sony cyber shot DSC-RX100 VI.  The review is on dpreview, so must be taken with caution, of course, since Amazon owns them.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx100m6

Any thoughts on other cameras to look at?  His budget is probably in the $1k to $1.5k range.

Thanks!

syzygy

Here’s another review:
https://kenrockwell.com/sony/rx100-mk-6.htm
I have been considering this camera for a while, looks great.

rif

• Not a cowboy
Thanks syzygy.

I just got some more info into his thought process

the iPhone is really not as fun to use as a dedicated camera.

Also looking at the Ricoh GIII.

Besides weight, he sees the real tradeoff being a larger camera sensor size and menu flexibility vs the iPhone’s  better processing software (easy to use editing functions that work great gets to the 90%.)

Wind Chaser

Right now he uses an Olympus xz-1 and his iPhone...

The XZ-1 isn’t too shabby, I wish I had kept mine.

If he doesn’t need a zoom lens, then one of the Fuji X-100 models might worth looking at. As good as the Sony RX-100 models are, the Fuji X-100 series is superior; and not just in terms of image quality but the shooting experience. They look, feel, and handle like a real photographic instrument/camera rather than a computerized gadget.

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
I own the original Fuji x100 . The focus is still A bit slow , even after firmware update, to the extent I prefer to manually pre focus rather than rely on autofocus . The picture quality, on the other hand , is something special,... Somewhat organic, almost like a film camera.  The newer X100 x100 cameras are faster focussing, have more bells and whistles etc but also use a different sensor so the pictures have a slightly different feel. Any of the x100 cameras look and feel special, like an old school rangefinder. I have no intent of replacing this ancient fixed lens camera that makes me work for each capture.. it's that special

newzooreview

I own the Sony RX100 VI, and I also own the Fujifilm XT100F and just got the XT-30.

I would not recommend the Sony in any regard. It is expensive and offers very little of interest to a photographer. The image quality is uneven, and it gives me no advantage over my iPhone that has a wide and normal lens built in. I rarely use the Sony. In general Sony is an electronics company and not a camera company: they make and sell cameras to look good on a spec sheet and not to work well as photographic instruments. The specs of the RX100 attracted me, but it is a failure as a camera.

The XT-30, on the other hand, is phenomenal. It is a perfect light and portable complement to an iPhone, and with a 40mm equivalent pancake lens is hardly any bigger than the XT100F. It is 95% as capable as the best mirrorless crop-sensor camera available, the Fujifilm XT-3. The XT-30 can use a wide range of Fujifilm lenses which are as well made and optically excellent as the Leica rangrefinder lenses i used to shoot with on my M6 (in the 80s and 90s).

Fujifilm has also very carefully engineered the color of its jpeg files to look like real film stock: Provia, Velvia, Astia, ProNeg, Acros (for black and white). The colors that the Fujifilm cameras produce in straight from camera jpegs are the best available.

The XT-30 also has the best available face and eye detection, and with a $20 adapter can use any lens from any manufacturer with excellent manual focus peaking. Given how excellent the Fujifilm lenses are, this is not a necessity, however it can be a lot of fun.

I can't recommend the XT-30 and Fujifilm highly enough. I've owned Canon SLRs, currently own a Nikon D810 and more than two dozen Nikkor and Zeiss lenses, and have owned Leica M6, Leica lenses, and a couple of medium format cameras (including the current Fujifilm 50R). For 95% of what anyone would want to do, the XT-30 is excellent, and for anyone looking for a very small camera it is an ideal choice.

Happy shooting.  :thumb:

newzooreview

Meant to add that I also have the Ricoh GRII (not GRIII), and it is terrific. Beautiful image quality and really made for photography. However, its fixed 28mm equivalent lens is identical in focal length to the lens on any iPhone, so as a complement to an iPhone it may not be that compelling. Depends on your needs and interests.

SET Man

Hey!

First off I have to say that I don't own a Sony RX100 and I'm a Sony user, an A7II mirrorless.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Sony RX100 for a versatile pocket size P&S digicam. I've eyeing the RX100 since it first came out and especially after they put the 24-70mm 35mm equivalent zoom on it... I usually have my 24-70mm on my A7II most of the time. I thought about getting as a back up or when I don't want to carry my big A7II with 24-70mm f2.8 around. But I've never got one since I usually just grab my A7II anyway.

I think they are now up to VI (6) with a longer zoom lens on it. But I would happy with the IV or V with 24-70mm, perhaps a used one. Those Fuji X100F and Ricoh GR mentioned are great cameras with bigger sensor and larger, but they are fixed lens so it will be a less versatile.

Anyway, at the end of the day, just buy one that fit your budget, needs and brand you like.  :D

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
If I was buy a camera again I could buy a full spectrum mod or buy a already moded camera, visible light photos are tiresome.
https://www.spencerscamera.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=6&Category_ID=1&Sub_Category_ID=1

Wind Chaser

Meant to add that I also have the Ricoh GRII (not GRIII), and it is terrific. Beautiful image quality and really made for photography. However, its fixed 28mm equivalent lens...

I had the original GR and although first impressions were very favourable, I can’t vouch for it for a few reasons...

- The 28mm FOV exaggerates perspective too much for general use
- JPEG colour output looks flat and muted
- Dust on the sensor

I think Ricoh has attempted to address the sensor dust issue on new model but does solve the problem?

I know some people will dismiss the GR simply for the absence of a viewfinder, but for me it’s a non issue. Personally, I’d rather have a tilting screen but neither the GR or the X-100 have that.

guest61169

Personally I wouldn't buy anything without a viewfinder/diopter. 

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
Check out cnet review of Panasonic zm100.  Excellent low light performance.

Regards,
Dean

newzooreview

Check out cnet review of Panasonic zm100.  Excellent low light performance.

Hi. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but in the interest of accuracy, the Panasonic's low-light performance is not great. It uses a lot of smoothing to give the appearance of less grain, but this obliterates detail. DPreview is a suspect review site, but their test scene is fairly objective:

Stu Pitt

I don’t have any personal experience with any of them, but if my budget was in the $1k-$1.5k range and needed small and lightweight and wanted the best IQ possible, my first instinct would be Leica. C-Lux, V-Lux and D-Lux may fit the bill quite nicely. Having never owned a Leica, I’m going by brand reputation and my cousin’s experience with the C-Lux.

I’ve also played around with his Fujifilm mirrorless. He has an either 24mm or 40mm pancake lens on it. Quite nice images straight out of camera and fun and easy to handle. I was at his house around Christmas time without my camera, so I used his for the night.

Doublej

+1 for looking into the Sonys.

rif

• Not a cowboy
Thanks, we're still here reading and researching.   Here's my father's latest thoughts.

Thanks. It works and it is a Leica, but DP Review is getting excited about the Ricoh GR III - 257g, but fixed lens - APS-C sensor.

Still comes down to a trade-off between Apple software processing,  eace of use and weight, vs. a camera’s varied menu functions and larger sensor.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Less weight=less parts and material.