"Best Of" - New Series Small Digital Cameras?

bside123

"Best Of" - New Series Small Digital Cameras?
« on: 2 Apr 2012, 07:04 pm »
I've begun the process of researching an upgrade to a new digital camera. Needless to say, the water is getting deep, the air is thick and the techno-details seem endless...

I've been a fairly happy user of a Canon G-11 for almost 3 years. I travel a lot, the camera is convenient, it takes (for the most part) great images, and three years ago, this camera was in the head of its class.

As I have been working much more with my photos, I am looking to improve:

1) Image Resolution
2) Image Stability & Fast Auto-Focus
3) Big a Sensor as Possible
4) Low Light Performance (ISO)
5) Interchangeable Lenses
6) Small & Convenient Travel Size

I am aware of the new Canon G 1X, as the latest in their G series. It boasts a much larger sensor, but it doesn't seem to meet most of my other requirements. Therefore, the G 1X seems more like an opportunity to spend money on a "lateral" move with the exception of sensor size.

I don't really want to carry a DSLR, and besides, the one's I like are big, heavy and upwards of $3000.
I'm not sure that my fantasy of the "best of both worlds" exists. I'm certain that many others would love this as well: reliable fit & finish, small easy to carry, power of a great DSLR, easy on the pocket book, can do "everything" camera.

Have others had this same quandary, and is this topic worth a thread?  What am I missing?

Thanks.

Other cameras that I am pondering are:

Canon G 1X (already mentioned)
Olympus E-P3
Olympus E-PL3
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Sony NEX-5N
Sony NEX-7

cheap-Jack

Re: "Best Of" - New Series Small Digital Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2012, 08:10 pm »
Hi.

First off, I take pictures & movies just for fun on my vacation trips. So any hi-teck big tickets are out of my need. Compact, convenience & economy is my choice of movie-cameras.

The "best" one in my mind will be small & light like a small belt-hanging cellphone. Min 16MP, min 15xoptical zoom & 1080P movie. Amazon just get one that matches above specs for USD149.00, including a free 4MP class 10 memory card & free shipping!!!
Unbelievable!

c-J