The Place between Jazz and the Blues

BobM

Re: The Place between Jazz and the Blues
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm »
IMO, blues is played by guys like Muddy Waters, BB King, Pinetop Perkins, Junior Wells, Howlin Wolf, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. Of course there are plenty of artists who played some blues or dabble or converted, like Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, ZZ Top, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, etc. Now much of that you probably wouldn;t call "blues" but would keep it in it's own genre like Rock, or Classical, or Country but qualify it as blues influenced.

So to me a jazz musician playing in a blues style is still jazz over a blues motif. Hell, so much jazz is blues based that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. That's where labels are meaningless. As Louie A said "if you have to ask then you'll never know".

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2014, 01:28 pm »
If it's 12 bars (could be 9 or 16) long, it's form AABA, (could be different, though), uses the I IV V cords of the key and flatend 3rds, it's the Blues, no matter who's playing it. :lol:

Doc

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2014, 01:55 pm »
    Why, thank you sir.

An example of where Jazz and the Blues meet is,

Count Basie and Joe Turner; The Bosses

http://www.amazon.com/Bosses-Basie/dp/B000000Z0E/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1392954268&sr=1-3&keywords=count+basie+and+Joe+Turner
Right back at you . . thank YOU.  I believe it was you who turned me on to the Putamayo catalog and we share a love for British comedies.  Bring it, professor . . please. 

sturgus

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:55 pm »
Blues is the foundation on which Jazz was built. It's always  there sometimes very up, front sometimes way in the back. But always there.

Chazro

« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:20 pm »
Blues is the foundation on which Jazz was built. It's always  there sometimes very up, front sometimes way in the back. But always there.

+1!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2014, 01:44 am »
You just took a step up "the cool ladder" in my book.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2014, 04:50 am »
check out Joanne Shaw Taylor - White Sugar! 

firedog

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2014, 03:12 pm »
I totally love the Shirley Horn album, but would never classify it as blues. Straight mainstream jazz as far as I hear it. As previously said, "sad" doesn't equal "blues".

Here's another couple not to be missed.  I mean seriously, seriously:

pjnad

« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2014, 03:41 pm »
Maria Muldaur - Naughty,Bawdy, and Blue. 
Maria is a "student of the blues" and she does a great job of covering the old female blues artists. Other good choices would be Sweet, Lovin' Old Soul , Richland Woman Blues (more acoustic), and First Came Memphis Minnie.

Devil Doc

« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2014, 03:49 pm »
+1. I've had a relationship with that woman for over 40yrs, only she doesn't know about it. :wink:
Which reminds me, check out Jazzabelle and Transbluency

Doc

DavidS

« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2014, 05:55 pm »
+2 pulled this cd out this morning and agree MM is working in the place between jazz and blues - like Alan Toussaint, Doctor John, James Booker very much a New Orleans vibe - maybe these musicians do the jazz/blues thing as well as any.

pjnad

« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2014, 06:05 pm »
+1. I've had a relationship with that woman for over 40yrs, only she doesn't know about it. :wink:
Which reminds me, check out Jazzabelle and Transbluency

Doc
Thanks for the info...I don't have either of these.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2014, 06:32 pm »

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but if Ellington says it's a blues number, it's a blues number. Period. You want to argue with Big Ben Webster, you go right ahead. Let me know how that works out for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOlpcJhNyDI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Devil Doc

« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:23 pm »
Not to put too fine of a point on it, but if Ellington says it's a blues number, it's a blues number. Period. You want to argue with Big Ben Webster, you go right ahead. Let me know how that works out for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOlpcJhNyDI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
It's not a Blues number because the Duke says it is. It's a Blues because it's 12 bars in the key of C using the I, IV, V cords and an AABA form. But if you need Ellington to affirm your beliefs than go for it.

Doc

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #34 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:45 pm »
Thanks DD, I will. Actually, I've always relied on Ellington to confirm my beliefs ... hasn't failed me yet.

Chazro

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2014, 09:17 pm »
A favorite Maria Muldaur record is 'Richland Woman Blues'.  I'd say that her (ex)husband; Geoff Muldaur, plays more of a Jazz/Blues type of music.  I especially enjoy 'Private Astronomy-A Vision Of The Music Of Bix Beiderdecke'.  A new record I just got and would highly recommend - Catherine Russell - 'Bring It Back' - a great record that strides that Blues/Jazz line!  Also, from an audio point of view, it's another impeccable recording from Harmonia Mundi

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2014, 10:54 pm »