Bitches Brew

95Dyna

Re: Bitches Brew
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm »
He took as much diss from the jazzbos for You Are Under Arrest as he did for Bitches Brew and it was the same old crap : sell-out, panderer, despoiler of the sacred jazz tradition. Thou shalt not deviate from the norm... which for Miles was, of course, impossible.

D.D.

It's one of the occupational hazards of a great artist.  Remember the heat Bob Dylan took when he released Nashville Skyline, "how dare you plug that guitar into the wall???"

95Dyna

« Reply #61 on: 30 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm »
My perspective is Bitches Brew is Miles Davis on LSD. Having also done LSD  in my late teens it is a total eye opener to alternative thinking. And i personally think Miles Davis had some experiences with mind alteringdrugs which brought him to Bitches Brew et al.
In his bio the women around him at the time were difinitely doing LSD and such. So the album title and the music  IMO clearly go with my theory.
The album as I wrote is a total masterpiece. I love it and the extended release put out by Columbia on CD.
Maybe part of likeing Bitches Brew IS being able to let go of any boundries and flow with what is happening in the music. The music is really amazing, mind blowing and wonderful. IMO of course.

Hi Elizabeth,

Is your BB CD Columbia C2K 65774?  I have that one and its one of a series of 20 bit remasters Columbia released.  I have 9 of them and they all sound great.  So much so that I'm not tempted to replace them with the new SACD reissues.  Now 45 RPM vinyl's another story.  Will definitely get Kind of Blue and In A Silent Way on 45's when they come out.  $50 bucks a pop, ouch!

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #62 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:01 am »
It's one of the occupational hazards of a great artist.  Remember the heat Bob Dylan took when he released Nashville Skyline, "how dare you plug that guitar into the wall???"
I think you're referring to Bringing it all Back Home. Nashville Skyline was his country album, which at the time, annoyed the hell out of me, but now I know better.

Doc

roscoeiii

« Reply #63 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:16 am »
Love Dylan's "Royal Albert Hall" concert where they rip into  the most amazing Like a Rolling Stone after a fan yells "judas!"

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #64 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:44 am »
I think you're referring to Bringing it all Back Home. Nashville Skyline was his country album, which at the time, annoyed the hell out of me, but now I know better.

Doc

Bringing It All Back Home  = " JUDAS !:finger:

Nashville Skyline  =  " JETHRO ! "   :finger:

It ain't easy...

D.D.

roscoeiii

« Reply #65 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:53 am »
Bringing It All Back Home  = " JUDAS !:finger:

Nashville Skyline  =  " JETHRO ! "   :finger:

It ain't easy...

D.D.

:lol:

firedog

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jul 2013, 05:34 am »
Love Dylan's "Royal Albert Hall" concert where they rip into  the most amazing Like a Rolling Stone after a fan yells "judas!"

BTW, do we all know the "Royal Albert Hall" concert was actually performed at a concert in Manchester? Typical of the misinformation often sourced from bootlegs - maybe intentional on the part of the bootlegger.

jazzmix

« Reply #67 on: 9 Jul 2013, 04:59 am »
There's a great DVD of Miles at the Isle of Wight, worth checking out if you are into the electric stuff.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #68 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:49 pm »

The best part is what Dylan said in reply: "I don't believe you."

roscoeiii

« Reply #69 on: 12 Jul 2013, 05:04 pm »

And if you turn it up you can hear Dylan tell the band, "Play fucking loud!" before ripping into the most amazing, rocking Like a Rolling Stone.

brother love

« Reply #70 on: 12 Jul 2013, 06:15 pm »

Actually to me, the best part of Dylan's response to that "Judas" folkie in the audience was the end  of it ...

i don't believe you, you're a liar!

My wife & I have used that line as a running gag (spoken in our best Dylan delivery) for years.  :lol:

lazydays

« Reply #71 on: 23 Jul 2013, 12:09 am »
I played this for tI have it on CD he first time yesterday and let me tell you, I was not expecting that. It sounded incredible, it sounded like the blueprint for a lot of music in other genres that would follow, and it certainly didn't sound like any of the jazz albums I owned, I would say 15 so far, from Coltrane, Monk, Ellington, Mingus, Parker, Gershwin, and a few others, including Davis's own Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, and Sketches of Spain.

The closest thing to this was hearing Giant Steps the first time.

most folks don't know it, but most of the entire recording was unrehearsed! Everytime I listen to it, I learn something new. I have it on CD, SACD, and an original Columbia issue, plus the newer release.   The LP is were it's at with this recording!
gary