What Album Was Most Responsible For Turning You On to Jazz?

Chazro

Re: What Album Was Most Responsible For Turning You On to Jazz?
« Reply #100 on: 27 Apr 2013, 07:44 pm »
As a child since my mother was an avid fan of Sinatra's big band work I'd have to say those were seminal recordings but my 1st full-contact exposure to Jazz boils down to one name; Billy Cobham!  I remember being totally mesmerized by the group 'Dreams' when I was a teen, and especially with Cobham.  In retrospect he became one of the 1st artists whose work I'd follow blindly, if his name was on it, I'd pick it up!  This led to the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, and his amazing run with the CTI label.  The 1st CTI I ever heard was 'California Concert' feat. Freddie Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, Hank Crawford, George Benson (non-singing!), Hubert Laws, Ron Carter, John Hammond, Airto, & Cobham.  Man, I remember just playing that dbl album over and over!  Billy was playing with the MO AND practically became the house drummer (along with a fella named Jack DeJohnnete) for CTI, what an amazingly fertile time it was for him.  A look at his discography from the early seventies should raise anyone's eyebrows, he was everywhere.  He truly opened up SO many musical doors for me.  4ever grateful for Billy Cobham!!;)

amandarae

« Reply #101 on: 13 Aug 2013, 08:27 pm »

Around 1980's, I was 11 YO.  Very poor and never own any stereo system, let alone LP or cassette player.  I only heard the songs from the LP on the radio from time to time and my neighbors stereo system occasionally.  As I said, dirt poor and very young....

I know, its a "jazz Fusion" LP but as long as there's a "Jazz" influence on it right?

ABe

K.F.

« Reply #102 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:29 pm »

Kind of Blue,my music teacher put on ''all Blues" and I had an almost religious experience,almost like John Belushi in the blues brothers

:
"Do you see the light!!!"

won ton on

« Reply #103 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:32 pm »
I see the light............lol

jupiterboy

« Reply #104 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:51 pm »
Pepper Adams Quintet, 10 to 4 at the 5 Spot.

nature boy

« Reply #105 on: 11 Sep 2013, 04:11 pm »
Art Pepper Quintet - "Smack Up".

NB

simoon

« Reply #106 on: 24 Sep 2013, 06:04 pm »

I know, its a "jazz Fusion" LP but as long as there's a "Jazz" influence on it right?

ABe

Why the derogatory implication toward fusion?

Fusion is just as viable form of jazz as any other.

I have a pretty broad taste in jazz, from Coltrane, to Art Eneamble of Chicago, to Oregon, to Mahavishnu Orchestra and other diverse forms. They are all on equal footing as far as I'm concerned.

Seawind may not be a great example of what I'd consider good fusion, but that does not detract from all the great fusion.