the queens gambit

smargo

the queens gambit
« on: 11 Nov 2020, 04:35 am »
the queens gambit - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/ amazing and underrated - its not what you think it is.

incredible acting - the sets - and the camera work are all 1st rate

aaronsolen80

Re: the queens gambit
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2020, 05:01 am »
I couldn't stop watching it either, great character development.  I love a show that can keep you completely entranced with superb storytelling, enjoy!

Ern Dog

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2020, 05:51 am »
I’m enjoying it. 2 more episodes till I’m done.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2020, 06:08 am »
Yep. Actually, it was very good. Great acting, and yeah, the camera work was noticeably good.

jcsperson

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2020, 06:25 am »
I read the book years ago. I'll have to check it out.

I hope they depict chess realistically. In almost every movie in which the game is featured it's handled clumsily or unrealistically. Searching for Bobby Fischer was a notable exception.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:48 am »
What I hate is all movies about chess show tournaments where there are only two people playing at the end with everyone else watching.  Chess tournaments are not like that, everyone is playing a game in every round.  The only time you see only two playing is in a one on one match like the world championship.
Also in top notch games you see them call checkmate unless the loser doesn't see it, the player resigns before the actual checkmate.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2020, 03:50 pm »
The sound track is superb! :thumb:

droht

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2020, 04:16 pm »
Really good imo.  I was not sure I wanted to watch it, then ended up going through it in three days. Check out interview with former chess champion Linda Diaz on NPR about the show.  https://www.npr.org/2020/11/06/931702199/we-talk-queen-s-gambit-with-chess-expert-and-tiny-desk-winner-linda-diaz She said the technical aspects are very well done compared to typical chess movies. 

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2020, 06:17 pm »
We have been watching it too. It's a little dark, that's to be expected from Netflix. It's a very well crafted production, also normal for Netflix. The chess playing seemed mostly realistic, with a few dramatic unrealistic lines for the heroine. But there are some "everybody watching the match" moments. Hollywood cant resist dramatizing for effect.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2020, 06:23 pm »
We have been watching it too. It's a little dark, that's to be expected from Netflix. It's a very well crafted production, also normal for Netflix. The chess playing seemed mostly realistic, with a few dramatic unrealistic lines for the heroine. But there are some "everybody watching the match" moments. Hollywood cant resist dramatizing for effect.

Would you really want them to not dramatized for effect?  That would be pretty boring, IMO.  Plus if you wanted the story straight with no amping up of drama, you can always watch a documentary.

Delta77

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2020, 06:35 pm »
The wife and I can’t usually find something we’re both willing to watch..
But we watched this one together, both liking the show, it only took 2 days to watch the entire series..
I don’t care for movies/series that are not believable (Bruce Willis),  this one was pretty believable throughout..

jcsperson

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:43 pm »
It's a little dark, that's to be expected from Netflix.

The novel is dark too.

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2020, 10:45 pm »
Produced by one of my favorite screenwriters, Scott Frank.

MttBsh

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2020, 11:30 pm »
I'm going to check it out only because I can't imagine how watching a series about chess tournaments could keep me awake! :o
I want to see how they manage to keep it entertaining.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2020, 02:49 am »
Would you really want them to not dramatized for effect?  That would be pretty boring, IMO.  Plus if you wanted the story straight with no amping up of drama, you can always watch a documentary.

You're much better than that, Mr. Tyson

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2020, 03:37 am »
We don't do Netflix. I really don't watch much TV. Do you think this will be offered on disc later?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2020, 04:12 am »
You're much better than that, Mr. Tyson

Ah, I see my tone didn't come through at all.  I meant it as a little lighthearted ribbing, apologies if it came off crabby or aggressive.

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2020, 03:33 pm »
NP! thanks  :thumb:

jonbee

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2020, 04:38 pm »
My wife and I are watching it a second time. I'm picking up lots of new details I missed the first time.
Engaging story, very well written. Top notch design and  production. Ms. Taylor-Joy does a lot of acting with just her face while playing the games, and adds sexiness/eye candy to her great perfomance as well, which I appreciate!
We just love it. Bottom line, it's very entertaining.

RPM123

« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2020, 05:29 pm »
An excellent series with a great actress! Emmy award material IMHO.