Alternative preamp for Odyssey stereo power amp?

rebbi

Alternative preamp for Odyssey stereo power amp?
« on: 21 May 2018, 02:42 pm »
Let’s say that I wanted a preamp with at least a volume remote for use with one of Klaus’ stereo power amps. And let’s further hypothesize that a Tempest or Candela puts me over budget. Any suggestions for an alternative preamp? I was thinking of a Schitt Saga or Freya. Any thoughts on that, or other suggestions?   :popcorn:

firedog

Re: Alternative preamp for Odyssey stereo power amp?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 06:56 am »
I have a Freya, think it's very good. Although I like the solid state mode better than the tube mode. Can't go wrong with it though. A good value for the money.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2018, 07:17 am »
If I can say I would like a Inspire preamp due the 8 pins tubes and small colour chassis, unfortunately it dont offer headphone output.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 08:23 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2018, 11:57 am »
Take a look at Tortuga if you want a straight wire solution (and don't need gain, most just need impedance matching).

rikhav

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2018, 03:12 pm »
Take a look at Tortuga if you want a straight wire solution (and don't need gain, most just need impedance matching).

Absolutely agree with you sir
I use a Salas b1 preamp kit hotrodded to level 2 and it works just works fantastic with the stratos

dburna

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2018, 03:21 pm »

I might be selling one of these (DIY) soon as I have moved to a very minimalist system (DAC/pre -> amp -> speakers). If interested, ping me.

Regards, -dGB

fredgarvin

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2018, 04:07 pm »
There's a Channel Islands PLC-1 mk2 for sale at Audiogon at about half price, and in your hypothetical budget probably. 5 inputs, 2 outputs and remote. Nice gear.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8iccj-channel-islands-audio-plc-1-mk-ii-passive-preamp-solid-state#&gid=1&pid=2

rebbi

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2018, 07:52 pm »
 For some reason, I wasn’t getting notified of replies to this thread. Awesome, awesome suggestions, guys! I appreciate all of you! Thanks.  :thumb:

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Re: Build either a Pass ba-3 auctive or b1 passive...
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2018, 12:48 am »
Odyssey amplifiers have a lot of gain so you would be better with a low gain preamp. The ob-3's gain is medium.

rebbi

Re: Build either a Pass ba-3 auctive or b1 passive...
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2018, 01:06 am »
Odyssey amplifiers have a lot of gain so you would be better with a low gain preamp. The ob-3's gain is medium.

“OB-3” ?

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2018, 11:25 am »
ba-3, sorry! This linestage project is based on the first gain stage ofvthe ba-3 First Watt by Nelson Pass class A
amplifier. I built one and it sounds super good paired with a FW F4 amplifier driving my Spatial Audio's M4.
you can see all this in the diyaudio.com site in the Pass forum and in the store section, if you are interested.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2018, 02:02 pm »
I would look hear at AVAHiFi.  Franks gear sounds great and is a lot of bang for the buck.  Plus he has a 30 day money back guaranty.

https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers

Or go the used route.