Carver Sonic Holgram Generator and M3 Sapphires?

timing3435

Carver Sonic Holgram Generator and M3 Sapphires?
« on: 18 Jun 2020, 12:04 am »
Anybody tried the Carver Sonic Hologram Generator with open baffle speakers?  I have the M3 Sapphires and I bought a Model C4000 of eBay to play with. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has OB speakers and a Carver. Just playing for the fun of it.    Thanks, JAJ

steve k

Re: Carver Sonic Holgram Generator and M3 Sapphires?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2020, 01:36 am »
I used to have a Carver preamp with sonic holography. I didn't use it. In my system it added noise to the signal and the effect was hard left and right but little blend with the main sound stage. I was using it on Magnepans.
steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2020, 02:03 am »
I used it in my Carver Amazing it came built in and was a useful feature to great effect. Bass knob adjusted the damping and bass freq got softer or firmer and drier, the treble control was the level at 6kHz.

OBS.: it worked nice with all CDs or music genres.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2020, 05:24 am by FullRangeMan »

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2020, 03:24 am »
I have open baffles and use sonic holography occasionally. On some tracks it’s really a gas. On Led zep whole lotta love, the phasing guitar goes around your head. Way cool.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2020, 05:27 am »
Paul do you could say Sonic Holography dont works on digital recordings?

kimoxxx

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:28 am »
i'm new here but Carver amps are all that i have, i have 2X M200t, 2X M500t mk2 and a M1.0t mk2 opt2 im curious about the sound if paired with these speakers

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm »
Not tried it on open baffle speakers but still have a (stand alone) Carver C-9 (sonic holography) unit in a secondary system (I had two but gave one to a friend who helped me pack and load my vehicle with my main speakers and other audio equipment on one of my later trips moving my stuff into the current house which was about 900 miles apart from the old one).  I don't use it tons and I have a disc I made with some samples of things that seem to work well with it.  I will probably re-visit those sample recordings as I believe I have some better ones.  The issues that sometimes doesn't work as well with it are some multi-microphone recordings - https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1980/11/02/sonic-holography/8566443a-3677-4a38-b301-995da14050e7/

Back in the day, my first separates were Phase Linear and I owned many of their components including pre-amps and a separate C-9 (e.g.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649271303-carver-model-c9-sonic-hologram-generator/images/1217096/) but sold it.  Many years later (probably around 2006), I finally got around to finish the basement of my old house.  I had been hanging onto speakers and equipment to use down there (mostly stuff I used at one point but rather than sell I just hung onto it knowing I'd get around to the basement finishing project).  I picked up a couple of C-9 units and used one in the basement system.

ric

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2020, 01:32 pm »
I do not own a Carver, but whole lotta love played recently, the sound swirled right over the top of my head--that's a first and says a lot about sound mixing even back then!

timing3435

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2020, 04:52 pm »
Thanks for the info and feedback. JAJ

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2020, 09:21 pm »
Many years back Carver produced a record that was flexible and came, I think, in an issue of Audio magazine.  It played back a sound that was the same as if you had one of his Sonic Holigraphy devices.  It was remarkable to me in that it absolutely placed sounds outside the speakers in far left and far right.  I never had a piece of his hardware, but now I use a device called a QOL that does much the same.  My system plays to well outside the left and right speaker without, to my ears, damaging the signal.  Unfortunately very few QOL units were made and the company went under.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2020, 10:37 pm »
Ive had many OB types of speakers over the last few years......mostly GR types, but a PAP clone included.
I have some carver gear......C11 pre......A760x......and had some sunfire gear.

Ive played with the sonic holography in both my box and OB type.

I think the effect is better suited to box type speakers......seems to me that a proper OB set up already
opens up the soundstage and the SH just kinda over exaggerates it.

Just my 2 cents

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2020, 10:42 pm »
opens up the soundstage and the SH just kinda over exaggerates it.
Seems perfect  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2020, 12:53 am »
Not surprisingly, it seemed to me that the Sonic Holography really mated well with Carver amps.

I still use a C1 preamp with the wife's television system and keep the SH engaged but don't really notice much of a difference one way or the other (ancient Bryston amp, recent Crown Class D amp, Magnepan MMG and CCR-3 speaker).

The old C4000 preamp was fun with 4 MMGs, I miss that set up.