Paint Repair?

theater_lover

Paint Repair?
« on: 26 May 2020, 04:37 pm »
I'm reaching out to the collective brain trust....

I received a second hand pair of M3 Triode Masters in black, and unfortunately they acquired some paint/finish damage while shipping.  I believe what happened was that the protective clear bag was wrapped around the bottom edge of the speaker, creating some wrinkles in the plastic, that acted like pressure points when the speaker was placed inside the custom shaped shipping foam.  As the speaker bounced along in its travels, the plastic wore into the finish.

I have tried:
- Water
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Toothpaste

Nothing helps.  The marks do "disappear" when wet, but when dry, they come right back.  I believe this means that the clear coat has been scuffed up.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

Brettio

Re: Paint Repair?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2020, 04:53 pm »
If it’s worn into the finish and not through, I’m wondering if an automobile cleaner/wax might not not remove the blemishes and let the paint underneath come back up?  Might be with a try on an inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn’t create a shiny spot in the finish then if not give it a go on a small area where the blemishes are located.

Brett

theater_lover

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2020, 05:03 pm »
I think it may need a combination of that and possibly some wet sanding to remove the clumped up “white” parts of damage.   The issue with all of this is that the finish is textured.  I just want to make sure the repair isn’t more noticiable than the damage.

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2020, 06:25 pm »
I would stop trying things that may do more damage and reach out to Clayton at Spatial to find out what/how the speakers are finished at the factory and what method you should use for restoration...for example...if they have a lacquer clear coat the answer will likely be different than if the finish is a baked powder coat.

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2020, 06:43 pm »
Yes to what RonN5 said. You have to know what the finish application is before a repair plan can be devised. There's a high likelihood you're going to just makes things worse trying to rub out a pebbled finish.

theater_lover

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2020, 06:50 pm »
I figure Clayton will weigh in eventually.

In the mean time, I tried a different toothpaste (old fashioned style) and it helped.  It removed the coarsest damage... the "white".
What is left is a difference in sheen between the damaged and non-damaged areas, and a minty fresh aroma in the air.

The easiest way to fix it would be to put a new coating on that evens out the sheen... so that could be a light spray coating, or a wipe on solution.

For now, I am holding off doing anything else until I get some clearer advice.

Thanks.

jcsperson

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2020, 07:50 pm »
I think some wax would lessen that effect. Experiment with it on a small area.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2020, 09:07 pm »
Since the marks disappear when wet it tells me there is just a little abrasion / compression marks in the clear coat of the speaker.
I don't think rubbing them out will do other than give you a worked / shiny spot in the rubbed area.

What I would do (40 years in wood repair, finishing and refinishing business) is get a can of clear wood lacquer at your local hardware store in the appropriate sheen which is most likely satin or semi-gloss. Probably satin.

Then I would very lightly, at a fair distance away (12 to 14") mist a little onto the effected area. VERY LIGHTLY is the key, you're not trying to do a wet coat just add a little over the top. Kind of like a very light fogging. Mask off anything like the feet you don't want to spray. I would do a very light, small sample on the bottom, back of the speaker first to see what effect it has and to check sheen.

Another simpler fix is to use a very light colored furniture touch up pen. I used to use art felt pens I got at Michaels because they have the best tips and color selection. The key is to pick a very light color that will not add color but just make the white go away. Again go slow and lightly. Sounds stupid but it works.

The key to touch up is to go slow, and do just enough and no more. The more you work it the more it will stand out. You're lucky that at its way down at the bottom so not easily seen.

Last thing you might try first is if you have any Old English furniture polish (the dark scratch cover stuff) put a tiny bit on a Q-tip and dab a tiny spot and carefully wipe off any excess. That might leave enough color to minimize the spots. Problem with that is the spots might come back over time as the polish dries.

YMMV of course and I take no responsibility for the outcome as I'm not preforming the work. Just letting you know how I would do it.

Good luck!

Mike

theater_lover

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2020, 07:11 pm »

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2020, 08:29 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I also found these...

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/products/wood-touch-up-repair/markers/ultra-bond-waterborne-clear-finish-marker/

Might be a nice solution.

You're very welcome theater_lover.

Mohawk makes good products and I used their products for many years. So that clear pen may do the trick, too bad they don't show what the tip looks like. I found that a hint of color helps to blend in the white a bit but I bet that clear will work fine.

One last tip I will add here: Whatever method you use, do not make your assessment of the end result with your face  2" away from the work. Instead stand up and view it from a normal viewing distance of maybe a foot away and if it isn't visible or doesn't stick out your probably done. When you know it's there, and your face is down on the speaker like you were working on it, no matter how good the repair is you're probably going to see it. Not always but most times.

Mike

Spatial Audio

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2020, 10:17 pm »
You're very welcome theater_lover.

Mohawk makes good products and I used their products for many years. So that clear pen may do the trick, too bad they don't show what the tip looks like. I found that a hint of color helps to blend in the white a bit but I bet that clear will work fine.

One last tip I will add here: Whatever method you use, do not make your assessment of the end result with your face  2" away from the work. Instead stand up and view it from a normal viewing distance of maybe a foot away and if it isn't visible or doesn't stick out your probably done. When you know it's there, and your face is down on the speaker like you were working on it, no matter how good the repair is you're probably going to see it. Not always but most times.

Mike

The likely cause is the plastic over-bag directly rubbing on the paint surface underneath the rigid foam end cap in shipping. When they leave our factory, the speaker is first covered in a plastic stretch film, so that the over-bag is not directly contacting the paint. We have had excellent shipping results using this method. When buying a used product, all bets are off.

The paint is a medical grade, 2-part Polyurethane paint with a textured top coat and no separate clear coat over it. It seems like Woodsage is correct in his recommendations, but he would not have known that there is no clear coat. The problem with trying to rub it out is that not only will it probably not work, but will likely leave a shiny area that will look even worse. The company that paints the speakers for us said that when they run into this type of abrasion issue, they just re-paint the entire product, as repair is usually not workable.

So the best solution, short of re-painting the speaker, is to try the furniture markers to cover the white abrasion marks.

Clayton

theater_lover

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2020, 11:46 pm »
Thanks for insight Clayton.  I'll test some of the ideas and see which performs best.

Much appreciated.