New 1801 Owner - very impressed

Figo

New 1801 Owner - very impressed
« on: 2 Jan 2007, 02:21 am »
Hello all,

Just recently picked up a set of 1801b's locally for a price I couldn't resist.  I've been running Hornshoppe Horns with a Darling 1626 amp so this is a significant step sideways from what I'm used to  :o

I'm more than impressed after a day of listening (through a sonic impact amp because I have nothing over 5 watts in my rig  :roll:)  But obviously I need some amp upgrades to really make them sing...

Anyway, they look stunning in birdseye maple and I just want to say these speakers are for real.  Even through the 5 watt sonic impact these are the only multi driver speakers I have not found offensive in direct comparison to single driver stuff - I attribute this to the high quality crossover which has obviously been tweaked to perfection.

Any suggestions for an amp that won't break the bank?

I haven't decided which set I'm going to keep.. they both make wonderful music in VERY different ways.  A battle for the ages, seriously.  I may just have to keep them both and agonize over which to listen to more  :thumb:

I'll be sure to post a full review of a head-to-head when I can find a suitable amp for the 1801s.  Pics later too.

-Jimi

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: New 1801 Owner - very impressed
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2007, 06:52 am »
Thanks for posting.

Regarding amplifiers, I suggest you read this discussion string:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11808.0 

My short summary is:

A good @ 35wpc Push Pull tube amp or @60wpc solid state is sufficient power. 

Better parts result in better sound among source gear.

Tube rectifiers and slow turn-on circuits will help tube life.

The AKSA LF55 is currently at the top of the heap with the a very modified Golden Tube SE40SE close behind.  If you are willing to solder, the AKSA stuff is a very difficult to value to beat.  Perhaps it cannot be beat.  If you don't want to solder, the VanAlstine stuff is the ticket.

Dave