What Amps are you using with Ellis Speakers

teiki arii

« Reply #160 on: 27 Jan 2006, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
If an AD847 worked, then I suggest you try an AD817.  This device has a much larger output section die and thus has less thermal modulation feedback at low frequencies.
Thermal modulation feedback in an IC is when the output (current gain) section generates heat driving a load, especially at low frequencies, and because the tiny bits in an IC are very closely physically coupled, this heat is then fed back into the front end (voltage gain section) and this modifies its linearity.  This is a very undesirab ...
Thank you very much Franck! Yes I hope that AD817 is better than an AD847: because I found this last one not so good and I am polite... :idea:  :wink:

hubert

« Reply #161 on: 28 Jan 2006, 01:39 pm »
Hi all,

I listened to the Simple Killer Amp from Greg Ball; here are my listening impressions (in Rellums post1):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72172&highlight=
In a few weeks, I will listen to an LC Audio, zero feedback amp; will see if such a solid state is able to reproduce the inner details of i.e. my present valves amp.

:beer:

rez

ska and 1801b
« Reply #162 on: 14 Feb 2006, 01:12 am »
Hubert and friends - have you listened to the 1801b's with the SKA?

hubert

« Reply #163 on: 14 Feb 2006, 11:37 am »
Hello rez,
have you listened to the 1801b's with the SKA?

Yes, me and Francis on the 1801's and Francis on his Cabasse (don't remember the exact type but they are 3-way, 2x21cm d'appolito + mid/tweeter "dual-concentric").
Conclusions related to the two types of speakers and related to different cd-players were the same: the SKA gives an extremely undistorded sound, allowing long listening sessions at average to high levels without ANY harshness and thus highly unfatiguish.
 :beer:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: What Amps are you using with Ellis Speakers
« Reply #164 on: 27 Jul 2006, 11:59 am »
Dave,

Any plans for yourself to spend time with Frank's new equipment or the new AKSA Lifeforce amplifiers?

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #165 on: 31 Jul 2006, 11:21 pm »
I... didn't know that Frank had something new/different. 

I did manage to a/b the Ultimate 70 with Franks other FET valve amplifiers @ 1 year ago (I think?).  They sounded very similar and very good.  Frank did mention the Ultimate 70 was the first of Franks amps to have some new fangled stuff under the hood.  Perhaps the pervasively imbued product line is now called the "Life Force" series.  I really don't know.  // I just visited Frank's web page and didn't see "Life Force".  Where is this located?

I continue to use Frank's Ultimate 70 in my basement and remain very happy with it.  Others who have auditioned this amplifier convey that it has exceptional midrange and highs, but the bass is slightly lean & too tight.  I prefer this.  Other folks occasionally don't. 

Given that very few unamplified instruments (relatively speaking) produce low bass I can easily understand how low bass can become very subjective.

Dave

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #166 on: 1 Aug 2006, 01:01 am »
I apologize Dave, my post was very confusing.

The new equipment of Frank's I was referring to is his Ultimate seris of amplifiers.

The Lifeforce "LF55" can be found at www.aksaonline.com.  It is one of Hugh Dean's creations in Australia.

Thanks for your reply Dave!

David Ellis

« Reply #167 on: 1 Aug 2006, 03:42 am »
Yep,

I already have the Ultimate 70.  It's very good.  IMO, in an a/b comparison with a full nirvana+ 55wpc amplifier, the Ultimate 70 had better midrange, and highs.  The AKSA was marginally better in the bass region.  However, I later performed a very similar a/b comparison in a different room with the Ultimate 70 and a AKSA Nirvana + 100 wpc amp.  Strangely, the 100wpc was extremely close in the highs and mids while maintaining marginally better bass.  Given a choice for "most music", I'd probably prefer the AKSA 100wpc Nirvana + amp.  With classical & Jazz I'd still marginally prefer the Ultimate 70.

In all of this, I am only 1 guy with an opinion.  I certainly don't understand all the issues. 

I really don't understand how/why the AKSA 100wpc amp would sound better than the AKSA 55wpc amp.  The volume level was modest.  Neither amp was close to clipping.  ALSO, I did not a/be the two AKSA amps in the same room/system.  The Ultimate 70 was used as an "intermediary" for my comparisons & comments. 

In the end, these amplifiers are extremely close.  I could be very happy with any of them in my system for @ $1k.  At $2k (or slightly more), my heavily modified Golden Tube SE40SE is... all that  :D .  My stock SE40SE was terrible, but after many mods... oh my!

I haven't heard the Life Force stuff yet.  This may happen.

AKSA

« Reply #168 on: 1 Aug 2006, 03:55 am »
I haven't heard the Life Force stuff yet.  This may happen

David, I hope it does happen - and soon too!

Hugh

David Ellis

« Reply #169 on: 1 Aug 2006, 04:16 am »
Hugh

Steve Harrison will provide solid input that may prompt me.  Steve has excellent ears, and a excellent specimen of your 55wpc amps.

Can you think of any reason why your 100wpc amp might sound better than the 55wpc amp?  The speakers (mine) have a low DCR of 6 ohms and are @85db sensitive.  The spl was not significant.  The source material varied, but clean recordings were used.

Hey, also, rumor is that you are a retired G.I. .  Did you work electronics in the military too?

Dave

AKSA

« Reply #170 on: 1 Aug 2006, 09:51 am »
Hi David,

Your impressions are not universal.  There are some prefer the 55N+.  Given the two designs are essentially the same except for the output stage, sonic differences can usually be sheeted home to the reduced damping factor and greater capacity to absorb phase shift.  The reaction of the amp to phase shifts in the speaker is extraordinarily important;  the problem essentially relates to the compensation regimes to keep the amp stable.  Any short term instabilities absolutely kill the sonics.  The amp/speaker interface is not fully understood subjectively and this is why their design remains as much an art as a science. 

I suspect this applies to a lot of technology.  A master of his trade will take certain design options almost unconsciously, and perhaps is not even aware of this process.  This results in a certain 'sound' from a particular designer - one could say this of your speakers - and this is no bad thing.

Yes, I joined the Oz Army as a conscript Infantry soldier in the early seventies.  I exploited the Army's very good education system, earned my degrees, and rose through the ranks, retiring as a Major from the Education section in 1993.

Looking back, I see my Military service as a terrible waste in many ways.  It did teach me a lot about human nature and organisations and it did give me some valuable military skills, but it played hell with my amp design abilities, which is a real shame........  :lol:

Steve Harrison should have his 55LF in the next day or so, and will give you a very good summary of its qualities!   :thumb:

Cheers,

Hugh

David Ellis

« Reply #171 on: 1 Aug 2006, 12:34 pm »
Thanks Hugh,

I do recall reading that other folks preferred the 55wpc amplifier, and have no problem with this.  Candidly, I can't explain the reason's for my preference.  I simply thought there must be something different in the "black box" creating an impact that I didn't/don't understand. 

I... have a further question for you, but I'll move it to your forum.

hubert

« Reply #172 on: 15 Aug 2006, 10:55 pm »
Hello all,

Those having followed this thread know that I prefered to keep my tweaked Rogers E40a vs a few wellknown diy or kit solid states I listened to.
I hate posting comparison impressions because all the manufacturers I meeted/mailed with are kindly guys and have huge respect for them. However...how to say...
In simple words: I will sell my Rogers for this one:
http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=31
Astonishingly it has joined together qualities of the amps I previously listened to: the inner-details of my valve and huge dynamics on the total fr range; as a result: the truest timbres I never heard, a very great separation between the instruments in a symphonic orchestra and very accurate imaging and soundstaging. And all this, with a simple potentiometer.
Only my personal impression :D

amplifierguru

« Reply #173 on: 15 Aug 2006, 11:32 pm »
Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your kind words about my SKA - GB150D amps with Dave's 1801's. Funny, I haven't heard Dave's speakers yet - and Dave hasn't heard the SKA.

Dave, you know you can build the whole 150W /channel SKA amp for ~ $350!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Greg

hubert

« Reply #174 on: 16 Aug 2006, 04:06 pm »
Hi Greg,

sure, they are other issues than listening preferencies in the choice of an amp. Price is one, availability, reliability of services are a few among others. I confirm the SKA sounds great regarding its price and your services are top notch.
BTW, Francis Muller made the last mods you adviced on my SKA. I will listen to tomorrow evening :wink:

Kind regards.

Hubert

tybee

« Reply #175 on: 19 Aug 2006, 01:54 am »
I haven't posted on this forum or AC for many months. In fact, I almost sold my my 1801b's recently for lack of use.  I have a beautiful pair of walnut 1801s that Darren Thomas built for me when Dave was busy moving a few years ago. 

The reason for my lack of use of the 1801s was my inability to find a amp that would provide a perfect match in my highly acoustically treated listening room.  Enter Response Audio, the AC-er who mods Jolida tube gear.  I have owned a modded Jolida integrated in the past and did not like the match with the 1801s. Now, Response Audio's, Bill Baker is making dedicated amps built from the Jolida integrated platform called the 3205.  The 3205 can be purchased as an integrated or a true power amp. My 3205 Signature Jolida power amp, in addition to having a list of mods a mile long, has a beautiful walnut faceplate. My preamp, you ask, is a Juicymusic Blueberry Extreme also encased in walnut which matches my amp and speakers.  Highly appealing to my better half.  My wife has always preferred the sound of my 1801s to the single drivers that I have been using the past year. 

I have found the pairing of the Response Audio 3205 with an active preamp and my 1801s to be a match made in heaven in my household.  Dave was right, a modded Jolida is a perfect match for the 1801s! Thanks to Bill Baker at Response Audio for offering an excellent product.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #176 on: 19 Aug 2006, 03:42 am »
Thanks for the kind words tybee. I hope you don't mind me posting a picture of your amp but I think a few AC'ers will remember seeing this piece. Tybee's amp is a straight power amp with all Signature upgrades implemented along with a attenuation circuit installed at the input to allow better matching with most tube preamps.
 Happy listening tybee and all Ellis Audio speaker owners!!

David Ellis

« Reply #177 on: 26 Sep 2006, 01:30 pm »
Tybee,

I haven't listened to all of the Jolida gear, but wish to convey my belief on the issue of synergy as it pertains to your findings.  This has the potential to become very long.  I will first offer some preamble.

Stated simply, not all tube gear is good.  Not all solid state gear is bad.  Indeed, the very best of either flavor will sound very appealing.  Notably, @ 18 months ago Frank VanAlstine accomplish some work on his hybrid amplifiers that was VERY audible to my ears and very positive.  The previous variety of Franks gear was inferior to the my modified Jolida - at least to my ears (and Mrs. Ellis too  :wink:). 

Soooo, I suppose what I am conveying is that there can be less desirable hybrid amplifiers, and the inverse can also be true.  I have NOT heard the Jolida Hybrids in any form, but suspect that your ears are very correct.  I have heard Bill Baker's work on the Jolida tube amps, and it's very solid.  Indeed his amplifiers are very competent.  aa

With specific regard to your situation, I believe synergy is/was not the issue.  I believe that Bill's Jolida tube amps are very good, and your previous Jolida hybrid was a lesser piece of hifi gear.  Others may disagree, but this is my 2c.

Hmmm, that didn't get too long.

And, congratulations on your next step towards audio heaven.

Dave

DavidS

« Reply #178 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:05 am »
Tybee - thanks for your comments on the 3205's - had been reading earlier about Bill's new Bella 3205s which I assume are in the same ballpark.  But I have thought 50-60 watts was not enough power for my Ellis' although have never tried a lower powered amp with the speakers.  I have been thinking new amp for my system for about 3 years (started this thread to hear what other Ellis owners were having success with) but flop around between trying lower powered tubes (big powered quality tubes are expensive) or the many options for going more affordable big like ice power and Class D.  Best I have heard with my 1801s is expensive and very large Odyssey extreme monos (not mine) - great control and bass - but not a good fit for my room and what I want in my system.  So I continue to sit on the fence looking for the right amp that will match up well with my system - Modwright Sony cd player, Audio Note M2 pre, Onix subwoofer, and Ellis speakers.

tybee

« Reply #179 on: 27 Sep 2006, 04:09 am »
Davids,

Let me first say that I prefer tubes with the Ellis 1801s, and I am not a big fan of digital amps at this point. I have yet to hear a digital amp that captures the soul of music, but there may be a digital amp that can.  If you use an active pre-amp with a 50-60 watt tube amp, I believe you will have plenty of headroom in most rooms.  The 1801s are so revealing to me that they will reproduce the sonic characteristics of what you put in front of them. As Dave has previously posted, the 1801s will reproduce badly recorded material as it was recorded, but well recorded material sounds terrific.  Since I like a small dose of lushness, I prefer a tube amp, active tube pre-amp and tubed CDP to give the 1801s alittle warmth.  I am currently using Reality speaker cables, and I thought they might be too dry, but they are working well.  The Reality cables are able to convey the detail without being too analytical. 

Anyway, Response Audio's 3205 amp sounds very good with the 1801s.  I have used 6550, KT77, and EL34 power tubes with the Signature 3205 showing good results.  I really like EL34s with the 1801s.  Hope this helps.