2CE Signatures and 12w Triode

oros

2CE Signatures and 12w Triode
« on: 11 May 2013, 09:52 am »
Took the plunge and purchased a Line Magnetic 211Ia Amp after the local agent did a demo on my set up.  Life is short.
Just fell in love cant stop listening and it is getting better all the time still running in  love it in Triode.

Got run down deliberately  by one of our local Mini bus Taxi's after he ran into the back of my car.  Got out of the car he ran me down and drove off. Just had a new Shoulder fitted badly smashed the original I was born with.  Africa is a very dangerous place.

So I am enjoying my recovery The Vandies sing on this amp.

Where does the idea come from that these speakers need power.  I listen at moderate volumes and after trying lots of options this amp seems to have some magic others have lacked, go figure.  Play's so nice at late night listening volumes have no complaints about the bass nothing missing.

geowak

Re: 2CE Signatures and 12w Triode
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2013, 10:11 am »
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Best wishes for a rapid recovery. I have a LM Audio 216IA and Vandy 2CE Sig II speakers. They were set up by my dealer when I got the call to have a listen. They sounded great with a Musical Fidelity amp pushing 250 to 300wpc and also with the 28-32 watts from the LM Audio as well. Maybe just a bit of deep bass might be sloppy or lost, but I think I will be adding two tight stereo subs down the road, so life is still good till then...

BTW I have always been a fan of more quality watts for speakers. This purchase was the first time with tube watts, and I am happy with the sound, even if it's low wattage.

Enjoy your music...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2013, 10:28 pm »
It's interesting to me just how different individual power requirements are.  Our rooms vary from maybe as small as 800 cubic feet (that is, 10X10X8') to huge, open-ended spaces that include thousands of cubic feet; our average listening levels vary probably by 30 dB; and our speaker sensitivities vary over perhaps 20dB.

Oros, your power requirements apparently are met adequately by 12 Watts per channel, while mine might require, say, 18dB more.  Do understand that 18dB more than 12 Watts is 768 Watts.  Of course your average power used probably is closer to 3 Watts, but 18dB more than that is still 192 Watts.  I'm quite sure 12-Watt amps on my 5As in my largish room would sound horrible, but I'm very glad your 12-Watters are making beautiful music with your 2CESs, especially while you recuperate from your incident.

I owned a pair of Quad 989s--don't recall their 2.83V. sensitivity--that sounded VERY good driven by Antique Sound Lab Explorer 805, all-triode monoamps rated at 50 Watts output.  Got tired of the 989s and bought a pair of Eminent Technology LFT8As.  Even driving just MR and treble, the 805s simply ran out of power and sounded raspy instead of musical, so I sold them.

Overall, I love the sounds of triodes, but I also love the musicality and sense of ease, of effortlessness, that my 650-Watts-into-8 McCormack monoamps have with my 5As.

Good listening, and welcome to the Vandersteen Circle.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2013, 06:15 pm by jeffreybehr »

oros

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2013, 04:33 am »
It's interesting to me how different individual power requirements are.  Our rooms vary from maybe as small as 800 cubic feet (that is, 10X10X8') to huge, open-ended spaces that include thousands of cubic feet, our average listening levels vary probably by 30 dB, and our speaker sensitivities vary over perhaps 20dB.

That is a fact the room is about 1800 cubic feet and neighbours are a close just garages separating the units so got to keep it down.

Must admit they do distress if I crank it but that is way above any volume I would care to listen at.  But then they did the same on the more powerful amps I have tried (loaded the room?).  Guess I hit it right re: room and power wise.

Have never had a speaker that reveals differences so obviously when changes are made.

Love your kit maybe in the next life if there is one and there is anything left.  :D

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Best wishes for a rapid recovery. I have a LM Audio 216IA and Vandy 2CE Sig II speakers. They were set up by my dealer when I got the call to have a listen. They sounded great with a Musical Fidelity amp pushing 250 to 300wpc and also with the 28-32 watts from the LM Audio as well. Maybe just a bit of deep bass might be sloppy or lost, but I think I will be adding two tight stereo subs down the road, so life is still good till then...

BTW I have always been a fan of more quality watts for speakers. This purchase was the first time with tube watts, and I am happy with the sound, even if it's low wattage.

Enjoy your music...

+1 to that and thank you both for the good wishes great to get to know you all not many Vandersteen owners here, this is B&W territory  :scratch:  Say something and get beaten.  :lol: