Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier

Stefan_DR3

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier
« Reply #200 on: 1 Jan 2019, 09:17 pm »
I believe the last few posts are regarding grounding. DC voltage on output and pops sounds like ground loops. Difference between RCA and xlr sounds like ground loops. Difference in dry and humid conditions sounds like groundloop. Are all components connected to a same circuit? I have bp16p, bp173p, BDA3 and bdp3. I have heard pops and noice, but it has always been related to grounding. Right now I connect all components to socket with common ground, BUT the common ground is not grounded. I use xlr between bdp3 and bp173 and RCA to amps.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did have my 7B2 amps on a separate circuit, with everything else on a BIT-15.  I was hoping you were onto something so I just moved the amps to the same circuit as the BIT-15 (everything is on the BIT-15 now).  No change in the noise or pops either way.  :(

lsolimine

« Reply #201 on: 3 Jan 2019, 03:56 pm »
Good day.  My first post.  I am thinking of adding the BP17 to enhance my two-channel sound.  I will need to use the Home Theater Bypass.  From the literature, it appears I will always need to use the BR2 to toggle the bypass on and off.  Is that the case? Thank you.

Lou

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #202 on: 7 Jan 2019, 11:06 pm »
Good day.  My first post.  I am thinking of adding the BP17 to enhance my two-channel sound.  I will need to use the Home Theater Bypass.  From the literature, it appears I will always need to use the BR2 to toggle the bypass on and off.  Is that the case? Thank you.

Only when you want to change the Bypass setting or move your processor to another input.  Once set, for a given input, the unit remembers the Bypass (and Trigger) settings for that input.

I use a cheap Logitech Harmony remote which has soft keys programmed to toggle the Bypass (and Trigger) on/off.  I have a BR2 but I don't use it for those special functions.

lsolimine

« Reply #203 on: 9 Jan 2019, 05:44 pm »
Dear Stefan,

Thank you very much for the information.  Take care.

Lou

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #204 on: 10 Jan 2019, 10:20 pm »
James,

any chance that the dac of the 17cubed will have usb (with dsd) ?? i think it‘s really great to have 192/24 via spdif but usb/dsd would be cool as well.

al.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #205 on: 10 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm »
James,

any chance that the dac of the 17cubed will have usb (with dsd) ?? i think it‘s really great to have 192/24 via spdif but usb/dsd would be cool as well.

al.

Sorry, no usb/dsd

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #206 on: 16 May 2019, 02:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

The latest issue of Stereophile (July 2019 - Pages 105-107) has an excellent follow up review on the Bryston BP-17 Cubed Preamplifier.

Should have a PDF of it shortly.

james

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #207 on: 17 May 2019, 08:21 pm »
Hi James,

What amplifier and speakers did they use this time?

George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #208 on: 17 May 2019, 09:19 pm »
Not sure as the review is more about the internal Phono Stage and DAC

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #209 on: 26 May 2019, 09:56 am »
Hi Folks

Here is a link to the June 2019 update on the Stereophile site.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bp-173-line-preamplifier-phono-dac-modules-june-2019

The July issue will have a follow up as well from John Atkinson showing the superb measurements of the Phono and DAC stage.

james

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #210 on: 26 May 2019, 01:09 pm »
James,

Thank you!

George

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #211 on: 27 May 2019, 11:03 am »
Hi Folks

Here is a link to the June 2019 update on the Stereophile site.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bp-173-line-preamplifier-phono-dac-modules-june-2019

The July issue will have a follow up as well from John Atkinson showing the superb measurements of the Phono and DAC stage.

james

Nice review and congrats. The reviewer sure has good musical tastes -- his selections are quite eclectic.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #212 on: 2 Jun 2019, 10:39 pm »
My wish for the next iteration of BP17 preamp: a third pair of XLR balanced input jacks. Two presently. Max flexibility with a third pair: 1. Phono pre 2. CD player 3. DAC .
cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #213 on: 6 Jun 2019, 05:19 pm »
HI Folks,

Please see the attached review from the July 2019 Stereophile magazine regarding the BP-17 Preamplifers ‘INTERNAL’ MM Phono Stage and DAC.

Please note the superb RIAA accuracy and and the excellent signal to noise ratio in the phono stage as well as the outstanding measurements of the digital section.

Favourate Quote:
“This is a very quiet Phono Stage”.
John Atkinson - Stereophile

james

Email me if you want a copy

jamestanner@bryston.com

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #214 on: 2 Jul 2019, 09:57 am »
I just installed the optional phono stage in my BP-17(3) and I have to say it is fantastic. It is the exact same MM board that goes into the Bryston BP-2. (One small difference is that you cant change the mm capacitance loading the way you can in the BP-2)

Got it on a whim to try it out because the Stereophile review was so good. From a sonics standpoint -- compared to cost no object phono stages, I'd rate the board as very very good to excellent. IMHO It is so good that I plan to add a step up transformer for my moving coil, sell my outboard phono stage, and call it a day.

urbanluthier

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #215 on: 2 Jul 2019, 01:18 pm »
My wish for the next iteration of BP17 preamp: a third pair of XLR balanced input jacks. Two presently. Max flexibility with a third pair: 1. Phono pre 2. CD player 3. DAC .
cheers.....and a phase reverse feature please.... :thumb:

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #216 on: 21 Jul 2019, 01:04 pm »
Hi James,

Any news about the "BP-18" ?

George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 22 Jul 2019, 10:43 am »
Hi James,

Any news about the "BP-18" ?

George

Hi George

Working on putting the first prototype together so I can audition it.

james

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #218 on: 23 Jul 2019, 05:07 pm »
Hi James,

Thank You

Gorge

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #219 on: 4 Aug 2019, 10:13 pm »
I just installed the optional phono stage in my BP-17(3) and I have to say it is fantastic.
 -- compared to cost no object phono stages, I'd rate the board as very very good to excellent. IMHO It is so good that I plan to add a step up transformer for my moving coil, sell my outboard phono stage, and call it a day.
urbanluthier

That's exactly what I did  :green: