out of the main stream

lazydays

out of the main stream
« on: 8 May 2011, 07:16 pm »
I'm gonna wear you guys out with new topics, so plan on it!

We all must be into jazz, or we wouldn't be reading these posts. RIGHT? How many of us have artest that are kinda on the unknown list, but could smoke the stage at any club in North America? I often name one here and there, and I often pick up on one every now and then that are well worht the listen.
Here are three or four of my favorites:

* Steve Allee; easilly a top ten pianists

* Frank Glover; without question the best clarinetest out there right now

* Pharez Whitted, Slide's nephew, and one of the most vibrant trumpet players out there

* Farred Haque; guitarists extreme!

* Mel Rhyne; when he wants to he is the best B3 player on the planet

more to follow!
gary

jimdgoulding

Re: out of the main stream
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2011, 07:23 pm »
I'm sure I have some but just wanted to second Fareed Haque.   I'll toss in bassist Harvie Swartz, too.  Actually, I must have a ton.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2011, 10:40 pm »
I'm gonna wear you guys out with new topics, so plan on it!

We all must be into jazz, or we wouldn't be reading these posts. RIGHT? How many of us have artest that are kinda on the unknown list, but could smoke the stage at any club in North America? I often name one here and there, and I often pick up on one every now and then that are well worht the listen.
Here are three or four of my favorites:

* Steve Allee; easilly a top ten pianists

* Frank Glover; without question the best clarinetest out there right now

* Pharez Whitted, Slide's nephew, and one of the most vibrant trumpet players out there

* Farred Haque; guitarists extreme!

* Mel Rhyne; when he wants to he is the best B3 player on the planet

more to follow!
gary

Interesting.

You wouldn't happen to be from Indianapolis, would you?

What about Owl records? Do you record there?

I don't have a problem with it. Just seems a little coincidental.
neo

lazydays

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2011, 11:23 pm »
I'm sure I have some but just wanted to second Fareed Haque.   I'll toss in bassist Harvie Swartz, too.  Actually, I must have a ton.

I think I've heard Harvie play once or twice. Maybe with a group out of Chicago or Columbus Ohio. The name sounds very familure. Right now my favorite guitar player is Bobby Broom, but there are a couple others than can easilly play right alongside him. They just choose not to travel. Marc Johnson is probably my favorite bassist; yet I probably don't own a half dozen LP's that he plays on
gary

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2011, 11:29 pm »
Interesting.

You wouldn't happen to be from Indianapolis, would you?

What about Owl records? Do you record there?

I don't have a problem with it. Just seems a little coincidental.
neo

I live a little south of Indy, but get up there a few times a month. Owl Studios has pretty much signed on most of the jazz folks up there and maybe a few outside of Indy. Where they record at I'm not sure, but suspect it maybe in Gary Walters studio, or maybe down at Allee's place. There are several recording studios in Indy, and it's hard to keep track of them.

I recommend you hunt up a copy of Steve Allee's "New York In The Fifties." I've seen it done live a half dozen times, and it never ceases to amaze me.
gary

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm »
Here's Marc Johnson - His wife Eliane Elias is a very good piano player.

http://sudo.3.pro.tok2.com/Quest/cards/M/MarcJohnson/menu.html

jazdoc

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2011, 03:46 pm »
I've recently become a big fan of Skerik.  Picked up his new LP with Garage A Trois "Always Be Happy but Stay Evil" http://www.garageatrois.net/ and the new CD with The Dead Kenny G's "Operation Long Leash" http://thedeadkennygs.com/

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:27 pm »
jazdoc:
thanks for posting those selections.  I got lost for awhile checking things out on those sites. 

Larry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:17 pm »
"The Dead Kenny G's" . . what a hoot.

doorman

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2011, 07:22 pm »
Thanks for the above info! Some of my favourite bass players include Michael Manring, Jonas Hellborg, and Alain Caron.
best,
don

jazdoc

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:22 am »
Larry,

You are welcome.

Got to hear Garage A Trois a couple of months ago.  Headed to hear the Dead Kenny G's in a couple of weeks.