Pass Labs XP 10 and what amp

RDavidson

Re: Pass Labs XP 10 and what amp
« Reply #20 on: 28 Mar 2021, 05:10 pm »
Great. Yeah. The 30.5 should be just fine with your speakers. I just wanted to make sure you're not running something like KEF LS50's or a similarly tough load. This was definitely not a good match in my experience as the KEF's pretty easily tipped the XA30.5 out of class A (where the 30.5 naturally performs best). If you want an even sweeter more natural midrange, more delicate and detailed highs, and deeper more robust BASS, look for an XA30.8. Hope this helps.

gene9p

« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2021, 02:30 pm »
I ordered a VA Vision SET400...no more balanced inputs will be manufactured. Expected to be in stock in 3 weeks.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2021, 05:16 pm »
I ordered a VA Vision SET400...no more balanced inputs will be manufactured. Expected to be in stock in 3 weeks.

Congrats, you will love it!

Nick B

« Reply #23 on: 1 Apr 2021, 02:28 am »

Congrats  :thumb:  I have the Vision SET 120 Control Amp. Same sonic signature, I’m told, as it’s big brother. I sure love my 120

JackD

« Reply #24 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:17 am »
I love my SET 400.

gene9p

« Reply #25 on: 1 Apr 2021, 02:54 pm »

thanks..looking forward to it's arrival. In the meantime I removed the Pass and reinstalled my LIO with the Parasound A23+. Once the AVA arrives, be a while, I will try it with both. I might have to return the Parasound to safensound b4 the AVA arrives but that's ok as the LIO has the amp mod.
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2021, 04:03 pm by gene9p »

gene9p

« Reply #26 on: 2 Apr 2021, 01:59 pm »
I see someone selling a 600r here on the circle..3rd owner....any opinions would be appreciated.

WGH

« Reply #27 on: 2 Apr 2021, 04:14 pm »
I think your Snells would be better served with the SET 400, you don't need the power. I have only heard the 600R compared to my old Synergy 450, the difference in sound quality wasn't big enough to convince me to change.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100776.msg1591706#msg1591706

Call Frank with the 600R serial number to determine it's age, there may have been running updates.

gene9p

« Reply #28 on: 2 Apr 2021, 05:22 pm »
The seller said it is 8 years old.I am going to wait for the 400
Thanks!

Mr Peabody

« Reply #29 on: 8 Apr 2021, 10:29 pm »
I had an xp10 and loved it.  I see you have found the issue and working on it.

I personally would have stayed with an amp that is differentially balanced as the xp10 is.  Coda Technologies is an amp option.  The manufacturer was with Pass on Threshold.

Optimumly a Pass amp would be best and you could get something in the x150.n range with your efficient speakers. 

I had an AVA pre and power amp, they were decent but I didn't keep them.

I used the X250 with my xp10, then went to a Mark Levinson amp.  The Levinson was more transparent and quicker.  I suspect being a tube guy though you'd like the Pass amp.  I really liked Pass a lot, my taste just didn't lean that polite.

gene9p

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2021, 12:58 pm »
I sold the Pass....very tough decision. I still have the AVA on order and will give it a go with my LIO and a Mac 2300 tube pre as well. It's so bad not having a Pass dealer anywhere near me and Mark at Reno hifi never answered any phone message or e-mails about an in home demo. He's probably so busy being the only one offering Pass to try out. I so miss having high end audio stores in and around New York. Lyric shut down the nearby store but still have one in the city that I stay in touch with and Sound by Singer is still around but by appointment only. I probably should have been more patient and waited for the AVA..still going to be a while..but I won't forget the WOW factor of the Pass xp-10. If I could have just easily grabbed an amp other than the Para A23+ nearby and put together a system as easy as a few years ago it would still be here. It sold real fast..about as fast as when I grabbed it, someone grabbed it back.  :(

whoopycat

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jun 2021, 03:39 pm »
Just another data point, I have a Pass X2.5 preamp.  It is dead neutral and digital does not sound harsh at all.  I already knew the sound of my Pass DAC (which has a volume control) going direct into my amp and I didn't want to mess that up when I bought the Pass pre because I loved the sound I was getting.  The X2.5 gives me the features I want without altering the sound.