Linked Events

• BURNING AMP FESTIVAL, THE DIY AUDIO HAPPENING, RETURNS TO SA: 9 Nov 2019 - 10 Nov 2019

BURNING AMP FESTIVAL 11-9-19

MaxCast

BURNING AMP FESTIVAL 11-9-19
« on: 14 Aug 2019, 12:42 pm »
BURNING AMP FESTIVAL, THE DIY AUDIO HAPPENING, RETURNS TO SAN FRANCISCO THIS NOVEMBER

The 12th annual Burning Amp festival will be held in San Francisco, at the Firehouse and Building C of historic Fort Mason Center.

Saturday, Nov 9th:  Seminars and a workshop where participants can build an audio component of their own!

Sunday, Nov 10th:  DIY audio projects on display and for audition, Keynote speakers Sean Casey, industry veteran, & founder of Zu Audio, and audio industry and DIY Audio legend Nelson Pass.

More updates and details at burningamp.org and on the  organizing thread at: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-and-events/

Burning Amp 2019 will be held Saturday November 9th (Workshop Day), and Sunday November 10th, 2019 (Main Event) in San Francisco, at the Firehouse and Building C of historic Fort Mason Center.

This is the 12th Burning Amp Festival, which has been occurring yearly since 2007.  Founders Mark Cronander, Vladimir Simovich, and Stewart Yaniger envisioned Burning Amp as a participatory event for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) audiophiles to show off their projects, learn, network, and share their passion for experimenting with DIY audio gear.  Burning Amp has remained true to this vision and is an all volunteer non-profit audio happening supported by our enthusiastic community.

The Sunday Main Event will feature two Keynote speakers: Sean Casey, founder of audiophile speaker manufacturer Zu Audio, and audio industry (and DIY) legend Nelson Pass.  The Burning Amp participants will display and audition their DIY projects.  The Saturday Workshop Day will include separate speaker and amplifier workshops.  In the amplifier workshop participants will build an audio component of their own (design in progress).

2019 Keynote Speakers:

Sean Casey: Sean is the Founder of Zu Audio.  Since 2000 Zu has produced “made in the USA” high-value, affordable, high-efficiency music systems for the audiophile without a bottomless wallet. Zu uses original concepts and engineering to restore aliveness and realistic fidelity to playback.

Nelson Pass: One of the most enthusiastic members of the DIY community has been legendary amplifier designer Nelson Pass.  Mr. Pass has also been supporting audio hobbyists for decades.  In 1977 he published plans for the A20, a single-ended Class A amp.  In 1994 he published plans for the Zen amp, and Bride of Zen pre-amp, radically simple designs which attempt to answer the question, “What is the sound of one transistor clapping?”  In the 25 years since, he has made multiple further variations on that theme.  In addition to his main company Pass Labs, in 1998 Nelson Pass  formed FirstWatt to explore unusual amplifier designs in neglected areas. The resulting low-powered amplifiers achieve very high quality with simple Class A circuits and little or no feedback. One of those, the Firstwatt J2, was Stereophile’s 2016 Amplification Component of the Year.

Hours are 1pm to 8pm on Saturday.  (Pre-registration for Saturday will be required.)  Sunday hours are 9:30am to 8pm.  A catered Indian buffet lunch will be available on Sunday.  Coffee and snacks will be provided both days.  Weather in San Francisco in November is usually quite pleasant although rain is possible.  All are encouraged to attend and to become part of our community.  Bring your project, whether a breadboard prototype or a beautiful example of audio art.

More updates and details at burningamp.org and on the  organizing thread at: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-and-events/
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2019, 03:15 pm by MaxCast »

leica m3

Re: BURNING AMP FESTIVAL
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:38 pm »
If you did not build anything this year please bring your past projects. There will always be people who will love to hear what you have. Burning Amp is not a competition it is to show your DIY projects or rebuilds.

A couple of years ago we had a gentleman who demonstrated his rebuilt Sansui amps and some Allison speakers which I thought were really cool and great sounding.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2019, 05:15 pm »
 A wonderful event. I wish it was another City. Hopefully some day.  :(

charles

leica m3

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2019, 07:06 pm »
Here is a post from diyaudio.com:

I'll be bringing 4-5 headphone amplifiers, and a hybrid phono/line preamp using Russian subminiature dual triodes, The preamp will be configured to suit a fiddly Audio Technica AT440MLB to see if the low capacitance of the design will tame the AT's tendency to shriek.
Additionally, I'll be bringing my "Mirror Magic" amp, which will probably end up driving a pair of Event mini-monitors, as I've had no time for speaker building.
If I can manage it, I'll also bring a VT partial feedback SE amplifier, powered by a largish switching adapter and a DC-DC converter of my own design. The headphone amps will also sport DC-DC converters where needed.

Since there'll be lots of headphone amps to audition, I invite everybody to bring their favorite pair of headphones.

leica m3

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2019, 05:56 pm »
Anyone planning on attending?

leica m3

Re: BURNING AMP FESTIVAL 11-9-19
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2019, 04:53 pm »
2019 Burning Amp Festival, Premier DIY Audio Event, Returns to San Francisco Nov. 9 & 10

Immersive Experience for Do-It-Yourself Audiophiles Draws Worldwide Attendees

San Francisco, CA Nov. 9, 2019 — The 12th annual Burning Amp Festival 2019 will be held Saturday, November 9 (Workshop Day), and Sunday, November 10 (Main Event) at the Firehouse and Building C of the historic Fort Mason Center on the San Francisco waterfront.

Burning Amp is a yearly participatory event for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) audiophiles to show off their projects, learn, network, and share their passion for experimenting with DIY audio gear. Founded in 2007, Burning Amp is an all-volunteer, non-profit audio happening attended by enthusiasts worldwide.

The Saturday Workshop Day (pre-registration required) will include an Amplifier Build Workshop and a Measurement Workshop.

In the Amplifier Build Workshop participants will assemble a preamp/headphone amp, an all- new design from long term patron Nelson Pass.

The Measurement Workshop, led by Bob Cordell and Demian Martin, will explore measurements of both amplifiers and loudspeakers.

The Sunday main event offers amateur DIY audio projects on display and for audition. Burning Amp’s keynote speakers are always standing-room-only (subject to Fire Dept. regulations) events. This year’s speakers are: Sean Casey, founder of Zu Audio, and Nelson Pass, audio industry legend and DIY icon.

Sunday morning’s Shorter Takes session has three amplifier designers presenting, and is also the day Burning Amp participants display and audition their DIY projects.

Hours are: Saturday by Pre-Registration only; Sunday 9 a.m. to 8 PM. A catered Indian buffet lunch will be available on Sunday. Coffee and snacks will be provided both days. Admission is $30, and $20 for those bringing their own DIY audio projects.

All are encouraged to attend and to become part of our DIY community. Bring your project, whether a breadboard prototype or a completed example of audio art.

More updates and details at burningamp.org and on the organizing thread at: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-and-events/.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2019, 08:37 pm »
My parents live in San Jose, so I’ll be attending. Tickets bought through Eventbrite...

Best,
Anand.

leica m3

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2019, 08:30 pm »
Only two more weeks, I will be demonstrating a Bottlehead Seductor(SE EL84 amp), Bottlehead Quickie(battery powered pre) powering a pair of EPI100 speakers. Also will have a Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amp for a headphone set up. This year we will be having several hard amp, bring your cans! Come on by and say hi.

leica m3

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2019, 07:36 pm »
One more week!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2019, 03:58 pm »
Pictures, courtesy of Ti Kan of AMB Audio:

https://www.amb.org/ti/index.cgi?h=/ti/audio/burningamp2019/

Best,
Anand.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2019, 06:11 pm »
Only two more weeks, I will be demonstrating a Bottlehead Seductor(SE EL84 amp), Bottlehead Quickie(battery powered pre) powering a pair of EPI100 speakers.

Interesting combination, given that the EPI 100 is not a terribly efficient speaker.  How did this go?

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2019, 06:20 pm »
Pictures, courtesy of Ti Kan of AMB Audio:

https://www.amb.org/ti/index.cgi?h=/ti/audio/burningamp2019/

Best,
Anand.

Great photos.  Looks like it was a fascinating event. 

leica m3

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2019, 06:35 pm »
Interesting combination, given that the EPI 100 is not a terribly efficient speaker.  How did this go?
The Seductor/Quickie/EPI 100 combo played out very well. I had several comments on how smooth and nice the system sounded. One reason is because the Quickie preamp has a lot of gain.