M3 box size

AudioDwebe

M3 box size
« on: 26 Aug 2023, 04:01 am »
I’ll be picking up a pair of M3 Triodes within the next few weeks and need to know if the two boxes will fit into a Nissan Altima (one across the back seat and one in the front seat leaned back…at least that’s the plan).

Does anyone know with certainty whether this idea will work or not?

Thanks,

Mamoru

AllanS

Re: M3 box size
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2023, 01:24 pm »
I’m not sure than anyone can answer this question with certainty. TAS has a review that lists the M3 triode (unboxed) dimensions at 42T x 17W x 13 inches speakers.  The 13” depth is the crossover/base.  (https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/spatial-audio-introducing-m3-triode-master-open-baffle-speaker-at-axpona/)
I’d suggest asking the seller for box dimensions.  If packed like my slightly narrower but otherwise comparably sized M4 sapphires the boxes will be about 16x25x57.  It’ll also depend on the generation of your Altima. If your rear seat folds down it will offer some flexibility.

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2023, 11:39 pm »
I have the M3 Turbo S- I believe it’s the same size box. I will measure the shipping boxes tomorrow morning and let you know their dimensions.
If Spatial can confirm that they are the same box, you’ll have your answer.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2023, 12:42 am »
There is no "base" on the M3 TM's as the "feet/supports" come unbolted and fit in the bottom of the box under the speakers.  The deepest part of the speaker is the rear firing tweeter.  The speaker itself fits into a foam support on the top and bottom. I haven't looked at the boxes in the attic for quite some time but based on memory seems unlikely they will fit in the interior of an Altima. 

geerock

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2023, 01:24 am »
Doesn't the back seat go down in the Altima?  You can fit pretty good size stuff in from the trunk right into the back seat.

AudioDwebe

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2023, 03:09 am »
Thanks, everyone.

The back seats do go down, but there’s a metal piece that has a hole cut out making the access to the back seat from the trunk a bit smaller.

The current owner gave me the dimensions, and I know one will fit across the back seat, and I’m pretty sure the other will fit laying down on the passenger seat, but even with a tape measure I had a hard time visualizing it.  And since he’s a few hours away I was hoping someone here had transported a pair in a medium sized sedan.

Cheers,

Mamoru

AudioDwebe

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2023, 03:11 am »
jackD, I’ll have to call the seller and double-check the dimensions as I thought the numbers he provided wouldn’t be an issue (at least in the back seat).

Thanks.

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2023, 03:49 am »
I would think that even if you can get the rear door shut with one on the back seat are you going to be able to get the back of the passenger seat down far enough to get the second speaker under the dash board or in trying to get that speaker in the front will you damage the one in the back seat with the back of the passenger seat. Good luck but I think it's going to be tricky and might be easier in the long run to rent a small van for a day rather than damaging your investment or driving all the way there and finding out it won't actually work.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2023, 12:03 pm »
If you can maybe have a friend come with you and use 2 cars

James Edward

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2023, 10:43 pm »
15 x 22 1/4 x 49- size of M3 Turbo S box.
As someone said, the pedestals are removable and will not impact the size. Unless of course the Triode upgrade has a built in crossover module attached to the back.