Clayton sells Spatial Audio announcement

sumoking

Clayton sells Spatial Audio announcement
« on: 1 Jul 2023, 08:39 pm »
I was checking out the q6, another Clayton Shaw innovative design, and came across this article.
Clayton- your amazing and your influence in loudspeaker design will last for decades!
https://www.spatialaudiolab.com/news/ownership-change
Bill…
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2023, 09:57 pm by sumoking »

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Clayton sells Spatial Audio announcement
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2023, 09:42 pm »

RonN5

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2023, 01:58 am »
Hopefully, Clayton’s health issues are over and he can help the new owners find their footing. It was sad to see Salk announced they were no longer going to make speakers…fortunately, Spatial will live on.

We are all rooting for the Q6 to be smashing success.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2023, 04:57 pm »
   Best of Luck Clayton. Be well.

regards,
charles

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2023, 08:56 pm »
Salk speakers gone, Spatial without Clayton...  Sad times  :cry:

GregC

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2023, 10:15 pm »
I wish Clayton the best.  I was an early adopter with Emerald Physics CS2 speakers and worked my way up the line.

I knew Jim was stepping away from Salk, but is the company shutting down or just transferring ownership?

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2023, 10:17 pm »
I wish Clayton the best.  I was an early adopter with Emerald Physics CS2 speakers and worked my way up the line.

I knew Jim was stepping away from Salk, but is the company shutting down or just transferring ownership?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186217.0

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186230.0

GregC

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2023, 10:41 pm »
Thanks for the links, the last I had read was Jim was turning over the reigns to new owners and the prices were going to increase.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2023, 11:02 pm »
Unfortunately the plandemic keeps on taking out small companies worldwide.

As I understand it, the pandemic had nothing to do with Salk ceasing speaker building.  As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure Jim Salk mentioned their business increased during the pandemic.

DaveWin88

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2023, 11:18 pm »
As I understand it, the pandemic had nothing to do with Salk ceasing speaker building.  As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure Jim Salk mentioned their business increased during the pandemic.
I agree that many industries went through the roof with sales, but now the reverse is taking place.

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2023, 11:42 pm »
I agree that many industries went through the roof with sales, but now the reverse is taking place.

In Salk’s case, lack of sales has never been an issue.

In the end, no matter the reason, it’s sad to see some of these excellent small independent builders close up or sell. ☹️

GregC

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2023, 11:47 pm »
The supply chain issues that were created from the pandemic hindered the ability to meet increased demand created from people being stuck at home. Consumers and suppliers were both impacted. 

Many of my favorite restaurants in California closed their doors, and the ones that are left jacked their prices so high that going out to eat is much less frequent now. 

The effects will linger for years to come and I am sorry to see businesses in audio and otherwise shutting their doors. 

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2023, 11:48 pm »

The sad truth is the boomers are this hobby, as they retire, stop buying gear, and pass on there is nowhere near the young adult to take their place. This is why we see products become ultra-expensive to make money for those with deep pockets before the whole hobby goes belly up. For the most part, it is no longer marketed or planned for the middle class or even the upper middle class for the most part. I know some have complained about spatial audio prices being higher but while that is true it is nowhere near where a smaller 2 way can cost you as much and if not thousands more than Spatial speaker's most expensive models.

Brick-and-mortar stores died for a reason and that was a lack of sales, due to some part of hobbyists no longer wanting to pay anywhere full price while forgetting a real store as rent to pay utilities, staff, insurance, and on-hand inventory. So lots of overhead, while online sites just pull the product and ship, no time is given to assist you as in the old days, where they spend time with you and sometimes weeks to help you make the best decision, over the last 20 years they leave the store and look online for the cheapest price and order it even after the salesman you gave them his time and expertise they get zip or the store so no sales, no profit so they go out of business. Then many complain about where are the audio stores. Even Best Buy's upper-end Magnolia stores have been shut down. Just not enough middle-class able to afford quality upper-end gear.

Audiogon and others have really hurt new product sales and are understandable due to the fact many cannot afford to buy the product new, knowing in a few years it can be purchased at 40-50% off. No relationship with the local audio store the buyer goes there to hear the product and confirm that they like it and get reinforcement from the salesperson and they never come back.  Stores have a right to make a profit while maintaining $$$$$ of products on hand for us to hear.   Glad I was involved in the golden ERA '70s 80's and 90's. Was a lot of fun back then.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2023, 02:48 pm by Mr. Big »

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2023, 02:41 am »
It isn't possible to state the problem any better or more accurately than Mr. Big just did. And when you talk about a system price point that will buy you a house in some areas, you aren't going to bring in more new 'hobbyists' when they gotta spend $1000 just to plug it into the wall.
As far as buyouts go, they don't usually work out well but the fact that the buyer has a background with the company is encouraging. The Spatials I have heard at shows have been very musical and the kind of speakers that you can tell are special before you get all the way into the room. Hopefully they will be around for a long time.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2023, 03:20 am »
Audiogon and the used market is not the cause of the decline of audio stores and the like.  The used market has always been there with classified adds and newspapers of the past like Buy Lines.  It is just that now you can search all over the globe.  I am thankful of the used market as high end gear is way overpriced.  However, it introduced me to high end gear that I could never afford otherwise.  In addition, it has allowed me to pick and choose some higher end gear like my Luxman DAC that I bought new.  I would never have bought it if I had not bought my Pass amp and BAT preamp used.

Home theater, Block Buster, video games, crappy music, cheap junk speakers and electronics that took off in the 80's and 90's helped ruin 2 ch audio.  Same goes for streaming, walkmans, Ipods, MP3 also played a role.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2023, 04:01 am »
There’s actually a vibrant offshoot of our hobby filled with young audiophiles and that is headphones.  Just scootch over to Head-Fi and see for yourself.  Our hobby isn’t dying it’s merely changing.

I do think that companies like Spatial that offer excellent value will survive and thrive in the future.

Mr. Big

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2023, 05:23 am »
Audiogon and the used market is not the cause of the decline of audio stores and the like.  The used market has always been there with classified adds and newspapers of the past like Buy Lines.  It is just that now you can search all over the globe.  I am thankful of the used market as high end gear is way overpriced.  However, it introduced me to high end gear that I could never afford otherwise.  In addition, it has allowed me to pick and choose some higher end gear like my Luxman DAC that I bought new.  I would never have bought it if I had not bought my Pass amp and BAT preamp used.

Home theater, Block Buster, video games, crappy music, cheap junk speakers and electronics that took off in the 80's and 90's helped ruin 2 ch audio.  Same goes for streaming, walkmans, Ipods, MP3 also played a role.

Some good points but audio hobbyists and buyers of good gear have always been the exception to the general public and really 99% of consumers. Quality of music is not made for us, but for the general public and how they listen. 2 channel audio was not ruined by surround or some of the other things mentioned, what we do see always is the mass consumers drive entertainment, and high-end audio was not in their sight. Being able to find used gear so easily unlike 20 years ago. Time flies.

Audiogon created the online used high-end audio marketplace. Where you could look for anything you wanted and buy with just a click. That killed audio stores because you no longer were dependent on them. A high-end audio manufacturer told me once "The USA market does not keep us in business it's the overseas market". That is where their sales were the strongest.   

I worked for Sony for 22 years and I was there from when we changed the way we watched TV by developing VCR we developed both VHS and Beta, VHS was our throwaway due to limited picture quality and other issues, but VHS when we sold the rights to JVS it took off, and one reason was nothing to do with quality or picture quality it was they mass produced them cheap ours were $800.00-$1,200 and they were built like it, VHS $300.00, with later super VHS higher but still inferior to the BETA format. But the mass consumer could afford them and whatever picture quality they had was a-ok. So to them, that was good enough. They had families to raise and their expendable income was limited. I see the picture on their TV and shake my head saying how can anyone watch that.

I love my hobby but I truly know how rare I am, my family and extended family are around 125, not one as any audio system worth more than $500.00, and many systems they have had for 30 or more and they were cheap. They think I'm nuts to waste money on audio. My one power cord costs more than any of their systems. I was blessed with the Love of music and that was what your system should be about music not just the status of the expensive gear.

They listen to music on the radio, car radio, XM/Series radio, and phones with earbuds for the younger ones. People want portable music, Sony developed that with our Walkman, and everyone I know owned one or more, buyers jogged with them, and had private music listening ability without interfering with anyone else around them, which was the idea that drove us to develop the Walkman before the Walkman boom boxes ruled for portable music you could take with you and listen outside of your home. They were big and heavy disturbing others etc. The Walkman freed people to take music with them and today it's a given that is the way most people listen to their music. Home Theater same thing it brings the experience of a movie into your home and millions must have enjoyed it because it took over the market and still goes strong. In fact, many audio stores today survive by adding that to their offerings to customers.

We are an audio hobby and a niche in the big picture like physical formats are. I know my Blu-ray player/4K player has a better picture than a streaming service but that's not the point, it's the ease now people can watch movies with a press of a button, so bye bye BlockBuster and others and needing own a DVD to watch a movie.

Napster started the decline by being able to download music for free, it was uncontrollable for many years, hurt CD sales, and hurt artists and record companies. No one saw that coming, if vinyl had been the major way of listening to music there had never been a Napster, so digital came back to bite them. Then Vinyl started to slowly be pushed again and now it is doing well but nowhere near what it was in the golden Era, what Vinyl sold in weeks is now what it sells in a year's time. That is due to the general public not having a need for it like we all did growing up when vinyl was all there was. Vinyl today is a Niche market and is expensive for good pressing made in limited quantities, like Audiophile labels from my early days in audio. The thrill of hearing a direct-to-disc LP is still in my mind.

But times change, and people go with trends and marketing. Even us Philes be it the hottest speakers, Streamers, and DACs (how many are there now) or amps preamps, and power conditioners of all types but the newest is the hot one and people sell their old stuff to buy the new stuff. Magazines do a great job promoting sales.  And if you are into TVs the best ever comes out every year like new audio gear the newest is the best ever. The experience though sees you past that if you have been in this hobby a long time.   

Today you have several downloading services or streaming services where billions of songs are at your fingertip and people rarely now listen to albums just songs they like. I still like the CD, they sound better to me, like Blu-rays or 4K look and sound better than a streaming movie. But you have to buy them and own them and the mass public doesn't need that. I grew up with Vinyl but no going back for me, I own too much music on CDs. Many will never be on LP and I don't miss Vinyl, but I miss having the large LP covers when they were like artwork in the heyday of the LP. Still, we boomers are the hobby, like hot rods, and street muscle cars.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2023, 01:52 pm by Mr. Big »

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2023, 11:53 am »
There’s actually a vibrant offshoot of our hobby filled with young audiophiles and that is headphones. 

And let's not forget vinyl. Personally, I know more young people spinning records than fogies anywhere near my age. My nephew has asked me about amps and you know what that means...he's about to go down the rabbit hole.

AllanS

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2023, 01:16 pm »
There’s actually a vibrant offshoot of our hobby filled with young audiophiles and that is headphones.  Just scootch over to Head-Fi and see for yourself.  Our hobby isn’t dying it’s merely changing.

I do think that companies like Spatial that offer excellent value will survive and thrive in the future.
Case in both points is Schiit. I’m not a Head-Fi forum fan because conversations are impossible for me to follow, but the company makes well regarded stuff that sells for accessible prices and consequently had lots of followers.  It was started by a couple of guys that came from high end who maybe foresaw and jumped into gap opening in the market. Threads here and other places highlighting high value gear get a lot of attention.

I worked for Sony for 22 years and I was there from when we changed the way we watched TV.
 People want portable music, Sony developed that with our Walkman.
  Whatever you may have had to do with the Walkman, thank you!  In about ‘83 I paid stupid money for a Walkman at the Navy commissary in Rota, Spain so I could take my music to the boat when we deployed.  It cost probably a third of a month’s paycheck but I never once regretted it.  What price do you put on your sanity?
  Relating my experience to life today I do wonder if the mp3 earbud generation has more to do with life on the go than indifference to sound quality.  Though I never imagined the depths I’d have to go to find it, sound quality has always been important.  Life was too busy to just sit and listen and funds too few to improve even if time wasn’t a factor.  It’ll be interesting to see how the hobby evolves as the younger generations mature.

And let's not forget vinyl. Personally, I know more young people spinning records than fogies anywhere near my age. My nephew has asked me about amps and you know what that means...he's about to go down the rabbit hole.
I’m not sure how much time he spends with it now, but my oldest (33) has been collecting vinyl for 10 ish years.  Buying gifts for a couple of my younger kids (early mid 20’s) SOs is easy because they’ve taken an interest in vinyl.  One is obsessed with the 60’s and 70’s. :D Christmas last year was Tommy James and the Shondells.  This year The Association.

VinceT

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2023, 01:45 pm »
Glad to see Spatial has found some new ownership, wishing past and current Spatial folks the best.